Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Los Angeles Fire Dept
[quote name='the nozzleman' timestamp='1295106856' post='420545']

I read about the Capt that was hurt in the car explosion, two questions any word on how he is doing and what caused the car to explode.

[/quote]

There is a prelim report on the LAFD site. Lafd.org Just look for it under News & Information.

Hope that helps.
[quote name='the nozzleman' timestamp='1295106856' post='420545']

I read about the Capt that was hurt in the car explosion, two questions any word on how he is doing and what caused the car to explode.

[/quote]

There is a prelim report on the LAFD site. Lafd.org Just look for it under News & Information.

Hope that helps.
[quote name='danger' timestamp='1295099068' post='420537']

Hmm what are the U shaped brackets on the back step?

[/quote]

I believe those are grab irons/steps to get on top of the rig. One FF secured it after he got off the top of the rig.

Hope that helps.
[quote name='casey' timestamp='1295140048' post='420646']

I believe those are grab irons/steps to get on top of the rig. One FF secured it after he got off the top of the rig.

Hope that helps.

[/quote]

As a FF I must say they are in an akward spot & position to be steps. If they were/are steps, I would expect them to fold from the top down like the other steps. Instead they fold from the side & have an opening in the top. Could they be used to hang stuff on, or as fold out hand holds? Does LA still allow FF to ride the tailboard while backing apparatus? If so, it could be used as a safety harness tie down. Just my two cents, any solid info is much appreciated.
[quote name='ffemtwakeman' timestamp='1295147057' post='420693']

As a FF I must say they are in an akward spot & position to be steps. If they were/are steps, I would expect them to fold from the top down like the other steps. Instead they fold from the side & have an opening in the top. Could they be used to hang stuff on, or as fold out hand holds? Does LA still allow FF to ride the tailboard while backing apparatus? If so, it could be used as a safety harness tie down. Just my two cents, any solid info is much appreciated.

[/quote]

My apoligies, I got in contact with a LAFD Engineer, and he told me that they are used to loop hoselines back and forth for a quick pick up during brushfires. That way, you don't have to load & unload lines everywhere you stop.

Again, my apoligies.
[quote name='casey' timestamp='1295214923' post='420821']

My apoligies, I got in contact with a LAFD Engineer, and he told me that they are used to loop hoselines back and forth for a quick pick up during brushfires. That way, you don't have to load & unload lines everywhere you stop.

Again, my apoligies.

[/quote]

No apoligies needed Casey. I thank you for getting the answer so quickly & getting buck to us & keep up the good work out there!
how does the shifts at 27s and 98 like the KME engines?
[quote name='LT26' timestamp='1295220231' post='420835']

how does the shifts at 27s and 98 like the KME engines?

[/quote]

Honestly, I didn't ask em due to them loading hose. I may be over there again tomorrow. I will be sure to ask them.
[quote name='casey' timestamp='1295236276' post='420875']

Honestly, I didn't ask em due to them loading hose. I may be over there again tomorrow. I will be sure to ask them.

[/quote]

okay cool casey
One thing I will say about LAFD is that thier apparatus are all maintained very well. The brothers do a great job keeping thier trucks spit shine clean and it relfects on the pride they all have I'm sure.

Thanks for posting.
Roy J. Ward
DCFD
Sergeant
Tower 3 Platoon 2
[quote name='DCpsychwardFD' timestamp='1295289046' post='420941']

One thing I will say about LAFD is that thier apparatus are all maintained very well. The brothers do a great job keeping thier trucks spit shine clean and it relfects on the pride they all have I'm sure.

Thanks for posting.

[/quote]

Not to take way from the excellant job the firefighters do maintaining their vehicles it helps that is doesn't snow in LA. And as the song goes it never rains in Southern California. Wide streets keep the dings to a low too. Some of the Crowns look as good as the day they were delivered.
My mistake, hyperactive "enter" finger.
Are 27 and 98 the only companies to have the new KMEs so far?

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
passed by the shops and I counted at least 6 KMEs in the yard
[quote name='Juice' timestamp='1295313657' post='421014']

Are 27 and 98 the only companies to have the new KMEs so far?

Trav!

[/quote]

That is correct. Went past the Fire Shops late this afternoon & saw multiple KME in the yard. I believe one of the next rigs to get one is E38 in the San Pedro area. Not confirmed though.
[Image: 037.jpg]

Engine 227 is now running a Pierce Aarow XT.
[Image: 026.jpg]

Battalion 5 still running in the expirimental command vehicle.
[quote name='Monrovia1' timestamp='1296622251' post='423413']

[Image: 037.jpg]

Engine 227 is now running a Pierce Aarow XT.

[/quote]

Would this be E27's former rig? In the pic I have of former E27 from 2008, the door number is 60616.
[quote name='ffemtwakeman' timestamp='1296625897' post='423420']

Would this be E27's former rig? In the pic I have of former E27 from 2008, the door number is 60616.

[/quote]

Yes, this is the former Engine 27. Both E27 & 98s former rigs were pushed to the "2 Car". IE: 27s became 227s & 98s became 298.
[quote name='casey' timestamp='1296627216' post='423424']

Yes, this is the former Engine 27. Both E27 & 98s former rigs were pushed to the "2 Car". IE: 27s became 227s & 98s became 298.

[/quote]

Engine 27 and Engine 98 are now running KMEs LAFD has also reimplemented its modified coverage plan which calls for the reduction 15 LAFD units a day due to the city's budget situation.