Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mark Carr Photos
Happy New Year all! It's been a while. Been spending a lot of time in Haiti lately but I've only seen one fire truck the whole time. At the Port Au Prince, Haiti Airport is this Oshkosh T3000. It sits out in the middle of the field during the day and I'm guessing it gets put away somewhere at night. As far as I know, it's the only in-service rig there. Everytime I've seen it, it's had one lonely firefighter sitting in a chair nearby. I didn't know it when I shot it but this time the firefighter can be seen laying under the truck napping. I took the picture out the window of the shuttle bus as it was moving. It looks like it might be a former US Military rig but I don't know.

Mark Carr photo

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[quote name='unMARKedCARR' timestamp='1297551898' post='424938']

Happy New Year all! It's been a while. Been spending a lot of time in Haiti lately but I've only seen one fire truck the whole time. At the Port Au Prince, Haiti Airport is this Oshkosh T3000. It sits out in the middle of the field during the day and I'm guessing it gets put away somewhere at night. As far as I know, it's the only in-service rig there. Everytime I've seen it, it's had one lonely firefighter sitting in a chair nearby. I didn't know it when I shot it but this time the firefighter can be seen laying under the truck napping. I took the picture out the window of the shuttle bus as it was moving. It looks like it might be a former US Military rig but I don't know.

Mark Carr photo

[/quote]

A client of mine spent some time working in Haiti last fall for an economic development NGO. He told me that the only fire department in the country is in Port aux Prince, the capital and it was woefully underequiped. He had enquired as to the possiblility of starting a department in the city where he was working but apparently nothing came of it.
The Fire Brigade in P-A-P is a branch of the military and is the only "career" dept in the country. There have been instances where good hearted forginers donated vehicles of various types to smaller communitys far outside the capitol but they only last a short time before dissolving.

When I was last there in the early 90's the P-A-P Fire Brigade had some broke down euro apparatus and looking foward to some being sent from the U.S. In photo's from last years relief effort there were various donated used engines from the U.S. being unloaded with intended use in the capitol and surrounding areas. Who knows what actually made to it the brigade and what disapeared.

The way the relief effort was handled was for the most part like pouring sand down the same rat hole.

Sorry to take away from the thread, just venting on things I've seen down there in the past.
Erlanger Hospital of Chattanooga, TN's Life Force 4, a 2009 Bell 407, just began service in Fannin County, GA. Here it's departing a landing zone in Blairsville, GA.

Mark Carr photo

Today, I took advantage of some great weather and some very cooperative and helpful Towns County, GA Fire Rescue guys and shot their entire department. They have six stations, two are staffed part-time by full-time guys.

Tanker 3 is the only one I failed to get a year on. It's a 198- Ford F700/GA Fire Knocker 18HP/1000 rig.

Mark Carr photo

Towns County MiniPumper 2 is a 1979 GMC/Atlas 250/250.

Mark Carr photo

Towns County Engine 3 is this 1980 Ford F700/American LaFrance 1000/1000 Pumper, GSO#2-7005.

Mark Carr photo

Towns County Tanker 4 is a 1986 Ford F700/GA Fire Knocker 18HP/1000 Tanker

Mark Carr photo

Tanker 5 is a 1986 Ford F800/GA Fire Knocker 18HP/1000 tanker.

Mark Carr photo

One of my favorites of the day is Towns County Engine 6, a 1986 Mack MR/Pirsch 1000/1000 Pumper, GSO#MC611FC.

Mark Carr photo

Towns County Engine 5 is this 1989 Mack MC/Pierce 1500/1000 Pumper, GSO#E2127. Both of these Macks came from other departments but I don't know where.

Mark Carr photo

Rescue 4 is a 1996 Ford F250/Koenig that also reportedly came from another department up north.

Mark Carr photo

Ladder 6 is Towns County's latest acquisition. It was just picked up from Ocoee, FL Fire Rescue after 10-8 Fire Equipment painted the white roof black and took care of some other details. It's a 1996 Pierce Dash 1500/400/75' Quint, GSO#EA021.

Mark Carr photo

Engine 4 is this 2001 IHC4400/Pierce 1250/1000 Pumper, GSO#2868655.

Mark Carr photo

Towns County Rescue 2 is a 2003 Ford F350/Danzer/Morrison.

Mark Carr photo

Engine 1 is a 2005 IHC4400/Pierce Contender 1250/1000 Pumper, GSO#5403682.

Mark Carr photo

Towns County Engine 2 in Young Harris, GA is a 2005 Kenworth/Pierce Contender 1500/1000 Pumper, GSO#16582TR.

Mark Carr photo

Rescue 5 is a 2006 Ford F550/ with a 198-something Emergency-1 250-250 Minipumper. There was no Emergency-1 tag anywhere so I couldn't get any of that information off of it.

Mark Carr photo

Towns County Tanker 2 is this sharp looking 2008 Kenworth/Southern Fire 18HP/1850 rig.

Mark Carr photo

Rescue 1 is a 2009 Ford F550/Warner/Local 18HP/350 rig.

Mark Carr photo