Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Los Angeles Fire Dept
[quote name='Dave McClung' timestamp='1303617201' post='436500']

I think the bigger problem today is the public wants the service but are unwilling to pay what is required to have the service. Look at the tea party and the other "small government" types. Taxes are a dirty word but they are what pays for police and fire protection......

[/quote]

The LAFD has implemeted a hiring freeze and has been forced to brown out and now eliminate fire companies while the LAPD despite the City of LA being in such a bad budget fix is hiring and hasn't had there budget slashed as bad as the LAFD.
If they took the money that they give to the illegal's and put it into the emergency services they would be fine.
[quote name='Dave McClung' timestamp='1303617201' post='436500']

I think the bigger problem today is the public wants the service but are unwilling to pay what is required to have the service. Look at the tea party and the other "small government" types. Taxes are a dirty word but they are what pays for police and fire protection......

[/quote]

Part of CA's problem today financially is from a past "proposition" that voters passed years ago, Prop 13. In general, it froze property taxes. If the home was resold, new tax assessments would be made to bring to current standards, but if you are in the same home you lived in 25+ years ago when it was passed, you are paying what your property taxes were then. The CA guys may be able to add some newer detail, but I know about this from being a former resident. For example, my Grandfather lives in the family home in Burbank, and pays almost nothing in property tax. If the house sold, it would be reassessed and taxes for the new owner would probably be something like 10x what is being paid today. So, if you haven't moved in the last 25+ years your property taxes have never gone up. That has had a huge negative impact on the tax revenue over the years.
I realize this is not the place to discuss things other than fire apparatus but with the commentary feel I should throw my two-cents worth in.

Los Angeles FD is being hit like so many other cities around the country. The necessity for change started coming about when the rolling brownout's started. You would be amazed at all the things the City shells out money for. For starters, the mayor alone has some 200 people working directly for him. The City gov got carried away when times were good and it is always nigh on impossible to pull back when revenue diminishes.

Prop 13 was voted in by a landslide--many fire and police folks voted for it. It was a real shame to see retired folks forced out of their homes because they couldn't pay the taxes. And in spite of purported dire consequences, the State and Local governments adjusted quite well.

Once again, take a close hard look at what money the CA gov is shelling out to all sorts of people and things; including welfare for illegals. CA has been very generous with money they really don't have. Again, when times were good the money flowed, as the economy diminished, the spending didn't.

Also notice that the Los Angeles County FD has not taken quite the same budget hits. Because a large portion of their funding comes from contract cities, is becomes incumbent for those cities to manage their money better. Their respective generosities, except for the political atrocities in Bell, tend to be much better managed. However, Inglewood, has not been able to meet it's County FD contribution and has seen the level of protection drop.

The various cities, who have their own FD's, in and around LA have made cuts in their respective FD's but are managing not to drop below critical levels.

One of the most difficult things to grasp is fire activity is down--all over the country. Departments have to adjust-more paramedics, and more ambulances. Fire codes, fire prevention, building materials, new types of construction, and perhaps the biggest factor, Public Education, have played a hand in reducing fire activity. Think about it, when a four-year old sees smoke and dials 911, the FD in turn responds faster and can often catch the fire at the incipient stage. Far cry from the days of it had to be really blowing before someone saw it.

Another factor playing a role in reduced fire activity are cultural changes brought about by immigration, both legal and illegal. These folks respect their property and take better care of it plus they do not want to draw attention to themselves. It is very politically incorrect to even mention this element but it is a very real fact. Thus where fires might have been a regular occurrence, the frequency has diminished.

Check the tweet's and info from FD's around the country--many, many places have realized significantly reduced fire activity. Along with that the politicians will view the statistics and put the money elsewhere.

Remember, every politician, irregardless their party, hunts for money as kids do for Easter eggs. When they find it, they will gorge their programs silly in hopes of reelection. Think about it.

Happy Easter!!!

John
I should also add I was a of Southern CA and opted to move to AZ a few years ago after I retired. CA can be a great place but the State spending is driving many folks away.

John
[quote name='LunaBeachFire' timestamp='1303686786' post='436567']

I should also add I was a of Southern CA and opted to move to AZ a few years ago after I retired. CA can be a great place but the State spending is driving many folks away.

John

[/quote]

John thanks for some other details.
EMS 11 in a Suburban

[Image: 8cf23e07.jpg]
People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
Battalion 3 in a new Suburban

[Image: 120df1d3.jpg]
People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
EMS Captains

[Image: 40034368.jpg]

[Image: a6b97cbd.jpg]
EMS 18 in a Suburban, with red bumpers

[Image: 56190fc3.jpg]
Battalion 18 in their older Sub

[Image: b8e15a39.jpg]
(former) Battalion 1 acting as EMS 1

[Image: 34724132.jpg]
The new Batt 1

[Image: e5406929.jpg]
Both of those experimental battalion chiefs vehicles are still around, not sure of their current status.

[Image: f7e3d7b3.jpg]
Old EMS 18 before they got their new rig

[Image: 84a43f03.jpg]
Batt 1 former rig

[Image: BC1.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0139.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0127.jpg]
Copter 4 dropping water

[Image: Copter4-1.jpg]
The other experimental chief's truck

[Image: 5c78b9a1.jpg]
LA County hasn't sufferd the same cuts as LAFD not only because of the money they recieved from the contract cities but LA County also recives money from it's own special tax district.

The Los Angeles County Fire Department's special tax pays for essential fire suppression and emergency medical services. Approved by voters in 1997, the Special Tax is billed on the Annual Property Tax Bill under Detail of Taxes Due, Direct Assessments.

A sample of the rates approved in 1997 are: $48.00 for a single family home; $60.63 + $.0063 per square foot for multiple family residential; and $58.10 + $.0392 per square foot for commercial/industrial property. These rates are adjusted each year by 2% or the CPI, whichever is less.