Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Canada Eh?
Smeal delivered two engines to Delta in 2006. Engine company 3 is a Smeal Spartan Gladiator with 1750/500/20A/30B specs.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The newest apparatus on the Delta roster is this impressive hazmat truck, a 2009 SVI Spartan Gladiator truck. Big Dave posted a photo of this as post #423 but I am showing the opposite side! BIG TRUCK for these parts.

I traveled to one of the many "Gulf Islands" that are off the British Columbia mainland over Easter with my dear wife, who was visiting one of her buddies, and as luck would have it, her partner was the Deputy Chief of the small volunteer fire department on the island. Hornby Island has a winter population of approximately 1000 people and swells to many times that come summer due to the many artisans who live on the island. It also features some fine sheltered sand beaches, an active summer farmers market and many craft oriented events in summer. The volunteer members hover around 20 members and they operate 4 pieces of apparatus. First out engine is #61, a 2003 ALF Hub FL80 with 1050/950/10A specs.

The tender on Hornby Island is this 1996 Superior Ford with a 420 gpm pump and 1500 gallon water tank.

Hornby once operated a 1981 King Seagrave bumper pumper built on an International S series chassis. It was later converted by the department into the rescue truck that the department now uses.

Here is a rear view of the department conversion of their old pumper. Neat!

The final piece of apparatus the department operates is this 2001 Crestline ambulance built on a Ford F350 chassis. This is a bit unusual as British Columbia uses a province wide EMS/ambulance service so most fire rescue services do not operate ambos. The closest provincial EMS station is on the next island, a ferry ride away so the department has this vehicle as a response vehicle until B.C. Ambulance can arrive.

[quote name='terry' timestamp='1304195863' post='437477']

The final piece of apparatus the department operates is this 2001 Crestline ambulance built on a Ford F350 chassis. This is a bit unusual as British Columbia uses a province wide EMS/ambulance service so most fire rescue services do not operate ambos. The closest provincial EMS station is on the next island, a ferry ride away so the department has this vehicle as a response vehicle until B.C. Ambulance can arrive.

[/quote]

Thanks for posting these and Delta's rigs. I always enjoy a history lesson of the department whose rigs are being showcased. Hope you will post some more from other BC departments.
Terry or Dave,

Do you have anything from the Vernon area?
thanks, Bobby, for the request. It has been a number of years since I've photographed rigs in Vernon, BC but here are the ones that I've managed to get over the years. Many will have been retired by now.

Unit #79 1991 Superior/Pierce Lance 1500/200/105' s/n #SE1168

Attached Files Image(s)

Unit #80 1996 Hub/Spartan Gladiator

1500/500 s/n #2260-659

Attached Files Image(s)

Vernon,BC 1951 Bickle Seagrave 250/250/75' s/n #F-5175

Attached Files Image(s)

Unit #78 1977 King Seagrave/Scot 1050/500/85' s/n #76039

Attached Files Image(s)

restored by the Vernon firefighters, 1946 Bickle Seagrave 840/300 s/n #C-6880

Attached Files Image(s)

Unit #83 1986 Hub/Kenworth 1500/500 s/n #398

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='Big Dave' timestamp='1304249811' post='437569']

thanks, Bobby, for the request. It has been a number of years since I've photographed rigs in Vernon, BC but here are the ones that I've managed to get over the years. Many will have been retired by now.

Unit #79 1991 Superior/Pierce Lance 1500/200/105' s/n #SE1168

[/quote]

Hi Dave,

Forgot about these type rigs...Pierce Chasiss, Superior body work and ladder by Smeal.

20 years later Pierce is still here, Superior was bought out by E\-One and closed up and Smeal is now

building bodies to mount their ladders on...
One of the joys of apparatus buffing is running across a fire station on your travels! On Vancouver Island, that delight is doubled when passing through Duncan, B.C. The fire station in Duncan is located on a nice wide street near the downtown core, but even better, the North Cowichan Fire Department's south end station is on the same street, one city block away! Duncan operates this 2002 ALF Eagle with Hub bodywork, a 1250 pump, 500 gallon water tank, and twin 20 gallon foam tanks.

Unit # 5 in Duncan is a 2005 ALF Metropolitan with Hub body again, and 1250 pump,800 gallon water tank and 35 gallon A foam tank.

The rescue in Duncan is this 1988 Hub Ford CF 6000.

Duncan purchased an aerial from Muskegon, Michigan last year after their existing in service aerial failed it's annual ladder test. This truck was posted earlier in another thread by BIG DAVE and looks a lot like his photo, but that was because he was standing beside me when we shot the truck. This beauty is a 1999 ALF General with a 1750 pump, 200 gallon water tank, and a 100' Aerial Innovations ladder tower.