Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
once again Fdny fire houses
[quote name='15K' timestamp='1265807717' post='363317']

New Rescue 3's quarters...just doesnt do it for me!

[/quote]

Since when did the city start letting "Beetlejuice" design firehouses???
and does anyone know what is unusual about this house?

[quote name='Photoguy Kurt 07' timestamp='1301431294' post='431812']

and Ladder 8 located at 14 N.Moore Street, Manhattan. AKA the Ghostbusters House.

[/quote]
Mike, my guess is that its that it is a stand alone ladder house. i thought that the city did away with these some years ago.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 (KJV)
not sure about that i think ladder 39 in the bronx is still alone in their own house but not 100 percent sure on that.i think i have heard what Mike is asking but i cannot for the life of me remember.

[quote name='tntway' timestamp='1301688902' post='432220']

Mike, my guess is that its that it is a stand alone ladder house. i thought that the city did away with these some years ago.

[/quote]
[quote name='fdny1075' timestamp='1301695012' post='432227']

not sure about that i think ladder 39 in the bronx is still alone in their own house but not 100 percent sure on that.i think i have heard what Mike is asking but i cannot for the life of me remember.

[/quote]

L39 is now in with E63 in Wakefield. There are other ladder only houses L79 in SI and L102 in Brooklyn. I remember something about it being a dual house and the city split in half or something.
116 is a single truck now too. look at the left side of the firehouse...
all i'm seeing is different colored brick on the left front corner
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 (KJV)
I think this house used to have 2 bays.
M. Johnson

Concord F.D.

Engine Co. 7
The Mighty Sevens

IAFF L-1045

That would be my guess too, or just a single larger bay. After looking around for better pictures I noticed that the building next door appears that there was something built agains it at one time & that the decorative mantle on the firehouse does not wrap around that side, suggesting that the firehouse once was larger.
on the right track. it was a 2 bay house. this firehouse used to extend into the middle of what is now Varick St. when the subway was extended thru the area using the open trench method, the firehouse was cut in half on the left side and moved left(east) to the position it currently is in. This was much cheaper to do than cut the right side off and have to rebuild that finished side, as opposed to cutting off the left side, moving it east 30 or so feet and just doing a plain brick wall, which is what was done.

they have a great phone and clock wall in the house too...
any photos of it w/ 2 bays?

[quote name='FDNYTRUCKS.com' timestamp='1301712167' post='432253']

on the right track. it was a 2 bay house. this firehouse used to extend into the middle of what is now Varick St. when the subway was extended thru the area using the open trench method, the firehouse was cut in half on the left side and moved left(east) to the position it currently is in. This was much cheaper to do than cut the right side off and have to rebuild that finished side, as opposed to cutting off the left side, moving it east 30 or so feet and just doing a plain brick wall, which is what was done.

they have a great phone and clock wall in the house too...

[/quote]
[quote name='lfdtruckie343' timestamp='1301716427' post='432261']

any photos of it w/ 2 bays?

[/quote]

Ladder 8 was able to keep the "Ghostbusters" sign after filming was complete...it's mounted on the wall in the apparatus bay!
Stumbled upon this one by luck yesterday, also passed E54/L4/B9 but didnt have a chance to take a shot along with E10/L10

[Image: DSCF6562.jpg]
[quote name='chucksteak' timestamp='1301700575' post='432238']

L39 is now in with E63 in Wakefield. There are other ladder only houses L79 in SI and L102 in Brooklyn. I remember something about it being a dual house and the city split in half or something.

[/quote]

Pretty sure both Ladders 20 and 25 in Manhattan are alone.
[quote name='cfdspechaz' timestamp='1309109438' post='445657']

Pretty sure both Ladders 20 and 25 in Manhattan are alone.

[/quote]

but 20 and 25 were both originally double houses. 8 and 79 were always single trucks. 13 Engine was in with 20 until they were disbanded and 74 Engine was with 25 until Squad 6 was disbanded in Ex-E56's house to form L59 in 1972 and 74 moved to their house to cover the hole that was left.
Did they close ladder 8 ? I remember reading somewhere recently that it was going to be closed.
[quote name='Nozzleman71' timestamp='1309133982' post='445722']

Did they close ladder 8 ? I remember reading somewhere recently that it was going to be closed.

[/quote]

I read something either today or yesterday that all the closings are being held off for now. I could be wrong though so any corrections are welcome.
[quote name='WFDT42' timestamp='1309141392' post='445750']

I read something either today or yesterday that all the closings are being held off for now. I could be wrong though so any corrections are welcome.

[/quote]

All closings are on hold until further notice.

http://www.firehouse.com/news/top-headli...s-closures
Jason Knecht
Fire Inspector
Township Fire Dept., Inc.
Eau Claire, WI
I may have asked this before but here goes again. I'm going to NYC in July. I am a huge yankees fan and also assigned to Eng 71. I know 68s has the Yankee pinstripes and 71s is in the Bronx as well. From a map both appear to not be too far from Yankee stadium, I know the Bronx is not the best place to be hanging out, however do any of you know if it would be safe enough to run by these houses for a couple quick pics and to buy a t-shirt or are subway stops close to these. I know to get off subway at 161 st for the game but was just wondering if I could venture to the stations. Thanks in advance
Quote:I may have asked this before but here goes again. I'm going to NYC in July. I am a huge yankees fan and also assigned to Eng 71. I know 68s has the Yankee pinstripes and 71s is in the Bronx as well. From a map both appear to not be too far from Yankee stadium, I know the Bronx is not the best place to be hanging out, however do any of you know if it would be safe enough to run by these houses for a couple quick pics and to buy a t-shirt or are subway stops close to these. I know to get off subway at 161 st for the game but was just wondering if I could venture to the stations. Thanks in advance

Its a fine walk you will be ok. Im from the bronx and have done that walk many of times and no problems.