Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
F.D.N.Y.
The new Hazmat 1 will be at the IAFC show with another FDNY Ferrara ladder.
Eli Gill - [url="http://10-75.Net"]10-75.Net[/url]
The HazMat rig and L165 are here at FRI.

Goon, I don't follow...what in the world did the department change in the specs that the new rigs would be that much heavier? The construction materials are the same, as are the basic dimensions.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Does anyone have pictures of whats inside the rear of the Ford 4 dr trucks they are running?
Kory Green

Captain

Dresden Fire Department

Training Officer

Martin Fire Department
[quote name='Roto-Ray' timestamp='1314397198' post='454474']

The HazMat rig and L165 are here at FRI.

Goon, I don't follow...what in the world did the department change in the specs that the new rigs would be that much heavier? The construction materials are the same, as are the basic dimensions.

[/quote]

Roto ray......i have no idea I was taking to the capt of r3 who is a close friend of mine we are on, the hockey team together and he was saying that rescue 5 took it out for a test run and they were driving on the enternce ramp onto the.staten island.express way and the chauf had the pedel to the floor and the office asked if he was on the accelerator and the chauf said he was and the.boss said we are sending this back and this was a empty rig....they changed all of our rigs I hate them all lol hope this helps
[color="#FF0000"]R.I.P Sammy Oitice FDNY 4 Truck 9-11-01[/color]

[color="#0000FF"]R.I.P Kevin Apuzzio East Franklin FD 4-11-06[/color]

NEVER FORGET 343

[size="4"]FDNY Hockey[/size]
[quote name='Roto-Ray' timestamp='1314315834' post='454408']

When visiting R1 and R2 yesterday, they both reported that there was a lot of concern that the new FFA rescues were far slower (without equipment) than the fully loaded in-service rigs. R3 apparently did a "drag race" with the new and old rig, and the new one wouldn't get out of its own way. The men said all 5 are still at the shop.

[/quote]

I said it many times and i'll say it again..............Ferrara rigs SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
[quote name='Crossbronxxpress' timestamp='1314464348' post='454591']

I said it many times and i'll say it again..............Ferrara rigs SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

Ferrara doesn't make the engines, axles, or transmissions. Probably has a lot to do with the new emissions constraints that are not on the current rides.
That is true but they have engineers who help spec the rig with our rig commitee....they can suggest a motor/trans combo that would work well it can also be the size of the turbo and other components and ffa does suck we have a few hi press engines and they are always at the shops....our new engines fly compare to the old ones

NEVER FORGET 343

[quote name='goon16' timestamp='1314477231' post='454633']

That is true but they have engineers who help spec the rig with our rig commitee....they can suggest a motor/trans combo that would work well it can also be the size of the turbo and other components and ffa does suck we have a few hi press engines and they are always at the shops....our new engines fly compare to the old ones

[/quote]

Not defending FFA at all, just stating facts. You can figure about 10-20% power loss due to emissions equipment depending on type of motor. Sounds like it may be an issue of not enough motor and/or inadequate rear ratio. Is the transmission auto programmed to start in 2nd (not uncommon) or 1st. The ratios of the transmissions may not be ideal either.
Being in the commercial truck industry, it sounds to me like the engines need to have their electronic parameters reviewed, and a full startability and gradeability study completed on paper based on the powertrain components specified. The NFPA has minimum requirements that must be met, and it sounds like they are not being achieved. The new Ferraras have 500hp Cummins engines just like the recent Seagrave pumpers (and the new FFA ladders as well), and should have plenty of power (are the new ladder chaufs complaining about a lack of power?). The emissions equipment has nothing to do with power output, so there is some other factor limiting performance -- electronics in the engine or trans (that can be changed) or the rear axle ratio is way too tall. That, too, can be changed, but is much more involved.
For the guys who know the specifics....who were the bidders on the new rescues? Was it only FFA? Just curious if Seagrave bid, and if not, why not? They have built similar rigs, like Washington, DC. Same with Pierce and E\-One... I have read before in this thread that the terms of the warranty, and the stainless cab are a big factor in all the apparatus bids - wonder if it only came down to price and one or two bids.

Good luck to everyone fighting Irene this weekend...Be safe.
The new towers are about 12,000 lbs heavier I think and the brothers are complaining that they are slow....i think your right about having there electronic parameters changed

NEVER FORGET 343

[quote name='b9208' timestamp='1314495708' post='454681']

For the guys who know the specifics....who were the bidders on the new rescues? Was it only FFA? Just curious if Seagrave bid, and if not, why not? They have built similar rigs, like Washington, DC. Same with Pierce and E\-One... I have read before in this thread that the terms of the warranty, and the stainless cab are a big factor in all the apparatus bids - wonder if it only came down to price and one or two bids.

Good luck to everyone fighting Irene this weekend...Be safe.

[/quote]

FFA was indeed the only bidder for the rescues. Seagrave opted not to bid, most likely due to the number of exceptions they would have taken against the specifications, and in all probability was due to the warranty issues; the same reason they had over 20 exceptions on the rearmount bids. Simply stated: Seagrave wants nothing to do with NYC's Warranty Requirements. Now granted they did just bid on (and were awarded) the RFP for 15 aerialscopes, but I assume Seagrave probably priced them high enough to recover costs associated with warranty repairs.
[quote name='1958 F.W.D.' timestamp='1314525602' post='454698']

FFA was indeed the only bidder for the rescues. Seagrave opted not to bid, most likely due to the number of exceptions they would have taken against the specifications, and in all probability was due to the warranty issues; the same reason they had over 20 exceptions on the rearmount bids. Simply stated: Seagrave wants nothing to do with NYC's Warranty Requirements. Now granted they did just bid on (and were awarded) the RFP for 15 aerialscopes, but I assume Seagrave probably priced them high enough to recover costs associated with warranty repairs.

[/quote]

According to a previous Seagrave dealer I used to work part-time for, Seagrave took exceptions to their own boiler plate (general bid stipulations and guidelines) and specs. Clearly a tactic to avoid the high costs associated with warranty recovery. As for the Aerialscopes.....nobody else builds one like it, so unless FDNY wants to experiment with another type of mid-mount bucket, they are captive buyers. I have heard, however, that Seagrave is down to 70 employees in Wisconsin. It sounds as though they don't have enough orders to keep them busy. They build one helluva tough truck, but the costs are extraordinarily high. In these economic times, that isn't the best scenario.
man i would hate to see Seagrave go the route of Maxim, Hahn and Pirsch......
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 (KJV)
Ok during the Hurricane I heard Staten Island calling "THE SWIFT WATER UNIT"... I also saw a photo of what looked like a spare or Resverve rig with an outboard boat motor being carried... Anyone know details or what unit was being used???
[quote name='Fireman5230' timestamp='1314565459' post='454755']

Ok during the Hurricane I heard Staten Island calling "THE SWIFT WATER UNIT"... I also saw a photo of what looked like a spare or Resverve rig with an outboard boat motor being carried... Anyone know details or what unit was being used???

[/quote]

The swift water units is what you saw,spare rig with the boat on the hose bed. 6 where in service from what i heard. 2 in Manhattan 1 at rescue 1 and 1 at the seaport,and one in every other borough. Hopefully the one at Engine 72 is still in service tommorow might go check it out.
Is it safe to assume that SOC personnel staffed the SWU or were they just cross-staffed with in-house companies? Any other extra companies placed in service?

Thanks in advance. Ya'll be safe up there.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
I heard Rescue 6 responding to several calls last night too.
[quote name='Ladder 68' timestamp='1314566748' post='454757']

Is it safe to assume that SOC personnel staffed the SWU or were they just cross-staffed with in-house companies? Any other extra companies placed in service?

Thanks in advance. Ya'll be safe up there.

[/quote]

Not sure on how they staffed.From what i heard on the radio , extra companies where a Second Field Comm,A 3rd Tactical Support Unit, a 2nd Rescue battalion, Rescue 6,Squad 800, Another Division which was called Div 20, battalions 71,73, 10 reserve ladders and 20 reserve Engines. A mask service unit was placed in manhattan, Staten island,and Brooklyn. Brush fire units were staffed.
info e-mailed to me from a friend

[size="2"]ADDITIONAL UNITS.

(1) Reserve Ladders

L 701 @ E 91

L 702 @ L 83

L 703 @ 59

L 704 @ SI Hospital

L 705 @ E 168

L 706 @ 53 ( or @ E 50?)

L 707 @ E 329

L 708 @ E 211

L 709 @ Governor’s Island

L 710 @ Governor’s Island

(2) Reserve Engines:

E 500 @ 15

E 503 @ L 20

E 505 @ 54

E 507 @ 53

E 508 @ 66

E 509 @ 94

E 510 @ 88

E 511 @ 59

E 512 @ 158

E 513 @ 168

E 514 @ E 242

E 515 @ E 266 (E 329 ??)

E 516 @ E 206

E 517 @ E 323

E 518 @ E 238

E 520 @ E 253

E 521 @ SOC

E 522 @ E 266 (E 329 ??)

E 523 @ E 314

E 524 @ E 291

(3) Special Units and Chiefs:

FC 2 @ 39

MSU (MK) 2 @ 91

MSU (MK) 3 @ E 160

S 800 @ E 168

B 73 @ E 162

B 71 @ E 265

D 20 @ D 1

SWR 1 @ R1...............SWR =Swift Water Rescue...Pumper w/boat.

SWR 2 @ S 270

SWR 3 @ E 159

SWR 5 @ E 165

SWR 4 @ E72

TAC 3 @ E 250

RB 2 @ E 250

R 6 @ E 250[/size]