Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dave Bowen photos
Really enjoying the Erie County stuff! Makes me feel like I'm back home. West Ridge has a newer Sutphen pumper and their numbering system has changed. Belle Valley replaced the 1988 Sutphen Tower with a new one, then it was damaged in a fire and was out being fixed when I was up there in September. Kearsarge has a Spartan/Precision rescue pumper that replaced one of the twin KME's.
[quote name='GA_Dave' timestamp='1327192281' post='472161']

Really enjoying the Erie County stuff! Makes me feel like I'm back home. West Ridge has a newer Sutphen pumper and their numbering system has changed. Belle Valley replaced the 1988 Sutphen Tower with a new one, then it was damaged in a fire and was out being fixed when I was up there in September. Kearsarge has a Spartan/Precision rescue pumper that replaced one of the twin KME's.

[/quote]

Where was home, Dave?
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
[quote name='OPEN CAB MACK' timestamp='1327199280' post='472171']

Where was home, Dave?

[/quote]

Chautauqua County, NY (the last one on the left)

I haven't lived there in over 26 years, but it's STILL home!
[quote name='Rheems1' timestamp='1325566083' post='469692']

I am sure you probably knew this and just didn't add it, but the 1991 Sutphen tower is X-Rohrerstown, Lancaster County, Pa... I always called it the Field Truck because you need a football field to turn it around LOL. It came into Columbia the one time for a working fire, seeing the streets in Columbia and how tight they are I probably don't have to explain the trouble they had putting it anywhere close to the scene.

[/quote]

Man I wish I would have seen this thread sooner! Very nice photos Dave!

Fritz,

Yeah the old Rohrerstown truck was, well let's just say a pain-in-the-butt to turn. You really had to set up your turns ahead of time to make them. I can remember riding to many fires, some of them in Columbia, in that back of that thing. It got so hot sitting next to the motor you'd be sweating even in the dead of Winter. If we had 6 on the crew, the 4 guys in the back had to interlock their knees because it was so cramped.

A little more history on this tower, it was purchased by Rohrerstown in 1998. Officially went in-service for mutual aid responses on January, 1st 1999. It came from Kansas City, MO where is served as Tower 3 and was purchased from Northeast Fire Apparatus. It was slime lime when it was delivered and was repainted black over red. Unless Neshannock repainted under the body, you can still see some lime paint showing through. In Kansas City, this truck was used to save a fire fighter from a rooftop when there was a collapse of the trusses that compromised his egress point.

Keep the photos coming!
Dave, I know you don't live there, but hoping you might know if Lawrence Park still has the oddball ALF tanker? I did a google search and found a site for the local Rosenbauer dealer, looks like they have a new engine and quint. Couldn't find a site for the department itself other than a brief description of the department on the township's site.
[quote name='jlg1875' timestamp='1327261880' post='472238']

Dave, I know you don't live there, but hoping you might know if Lawrence Park still has the oddball ALF tanker? I did a google search and found a site for the local Rosenbauer dealer, looks like they have a new engine and quint. Couldn't find a site for the department itself other than a brief description of the department on the township's site.

[/quote]

I was told that they sold it, but I have no idea as to where.
The ALF Pumper/Tanker was sold numerous years back and replaced by a Pierce Dash pumper tanker. I guess the company decided the Pierce was too big and sold it. They just purchased (2) Spartan/Rosenbauers, a Quint and a Engine.
Thanks guys, anyone out there have any clue where the ALF tanker went?
they still have it, i believe, once they sold the Pierce engine they put the alf/tanker back in front line, the KME ladder they had was taken oos when chief crotty got killed, the quint was a from insurance money. i believe they have 2 engines 1 ladder squad n air unit
jlg1875 I have managed to find out some information of where the Alf Ctc pumper tanker went to the Lawerence Park FD told me that it went to Columbus PA just outside of corry in Warren,PA I hope this helps out
Thanks for the info on the old ALF guys, much appreciated!
Columbus Fire Co. is clear up on the New York line. Didn't realize they were the ones that purchased it. Guess a road trip is in order this spring!!
I'LL START WITH SOME MORE ERIE THINGS.

CORRY, PENNSYLVANIA

ERIE COUNTY

RESCUE 6

1996 INTERNATIONAL N/EVI

[Image: CORRY04138.jpg]

DAVE BOWEN PHOTO

UTILITY 7

1999 FORD F

[Image: CORRY04137.jpg]

DAVE BOWEN PHOTO

ENGINE 4

1997 FREIGHTLINER/EMERGENCY ONE 1500/1000

[Image: CORRY04136.jpg]

DAVE BOWEN PHOTO
BROOKSIDE, PENNSYLVANIA

ERIE COUNTY

ENGINE 244

1992 EMERGENCY ONE HUSH 1500/750

[Image: BROOKSIDE04120.jpg]

DAVE BOWEN PHOTO

ENGINE 242

1996 EMERGENCY ONE CYCLONE 1250/1000

[Image: BROOKSIDE04119.jpg]

DAVE BOWEN PHOTO

LADDER 249

1996 EMERGENCY ONE HURRICANE 1250/500 75'

[Image: BROOKSIDE04121.jpg]

DAVE BOWEN PHOTO
ERIE, PENNSYLVANIA

ERIE COUNTY

ENGINE 11X

1971 AMERICAN LAFRANCE 1000 750/500

[Image: ERIE04131.jpg]

DAVE BOWEN PHOTO

LADDER 1X

1981 AMERICAN LAFRANCE CENTURY 100'

[Image: ERIE04130.jpg]

DAVE BOWEN PHOTO

TOWER 1

1993 SIMON-DUPLEX/KOVATCH 1500/150 102'

[Image: ERIE04133.jpg]

DAVE BOWEH PHOTO
PRESIDENT TWP. FIRE DEPT. , PENNSYLVANIA

VENANGO COUNTY

ENGINE 18-21

1985 INTERNATIONAL S/PIERCE 1250/1250

[Image: PRESIDENTTWP04141.jpg]

DAVE BOWEH PHOTO

ENGINE 18-

1982 INTERNATIONAL CARGOSTAR/BRUCO 1000/1500

[Image: PRESIDENTTWP04140.jpg]

DAVE BOWEN PHOTO

X BELLEVILLE, PENNSYLVANIA (MIFFLIN COUNTY)
[quote name='davepa' timestamp='1327545836' post='472553']

TOWER 1

1993 SIMON-DUPLEX/KOVATCH 1500/150 102'

[Image: ERIE04133.jpg]

DAVE BOWEH PHOTO

[/quote]

Note the "Grumman" bodywork on this one! KME didn't build it, they sold it after they took over operation of the Grumman factory where it was built.
[quote name='GA_Dave' timestamp='1327551574' post='472563']

Note the "Grumman" bodywork on this one! KME didn't build it, they sold it after they took over operation of the Grumman factory where it was built.

[/quote]

GA_DAVE

DID KME JUST LETTER THE LADDER OR DID THEY BUILD THAT PART?
[quote name='davepa' timestamp='1327622919' post='472627']

GA_DAVE

DID KME JUST LETTER THE LADDER OR DID THEY BUILD THAT PART?

[/quote]

Based on the info I found when I photographed it and having looked at several other apparatus with Grumman bodywork and KME logo's that were built around the same time, I would say that KME finished these rigs that were nearly completed by Grumman. My guess is that Erie ordered it through the local Grumman dealer (Westfield Fire Equipment) and it was delivered by the local KME dealer (Westfield Fire Equipment). There are no Grumman production tags in the cab, nor is there a yellow DOT sticker. There also is no KME GSO number on it either. Erie uses the chassis VIN for registration purposes.

This is the only aerial I can recall that falls into this catagory, but I have stumbled upon several pumpers:

Columbia, SC

Douglas County, GA (3) Ordered as Grummans, delivered as KME's.

East Spencer, NC

Moody, AL

I know that there are others, but I don't recall where.
[quote name='GA_Dave' timestamp='1327628071' post='472633']

Based on the info I found when I photographed it and having looked at several other apparatus with Grumman bodywork and KME logo's that were built around the same time, I would say that KME finished these rigs that were nearly completed by Grumman. My guess is that Erie ordered it through the local Grumman dealer (Westfield Fire Equipment) and it was delivered by the local KME dealer (Westfield Fire Equipment). There are no Grumman production tags in the cab, nor is there a yellow DOT sticker. There also is no KME GSO number on it either. Erie uses the chassis VIN for registration purposes.

This is the only aerial I can recall that falls into this catagory, but I have stumbled upon several pumpers:

Columbia, SC

Douglas County, GA (3) Ordered as Grummans, delivered as KME's.

East Spencer, NC

Moody, AL

I know that there are others, but I don't recall where.

[/quote]

THANKS FOR THE INFO.