Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vehicle Fire-Baltimore. . . July 14, 2014
I was coming through town, just leaving the quarters of Engine 8/Truck 10 when a vehicle fire was dispatched in the 4500 block of Edmondson Avenue.

Engine 53 was first due and they, along with the rest of the Third Battalion companies, were all at the station of Engine 8 training where I just left a few minutes earlier.

I was way ahead of them as I made my way toward the scene. I saw nothing until I was a few blocks away when I spotted heavy smoke over the trees in that area.

Engine 53 was now in view behind me as we approached the scene. The fire was ahead of me in the same direction of travel and Police had the road blocked at the intersection before the vehicle. I turned there into a shopping center parking lot and stopped adjacent to the burning van and beat them to the scene.

Here's a few of the shots that followed:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I moved into the street away from the tree that was blocking me. Engine 53 is flaking out the line:

It's rolling pretty good as the pipeman opens up:

In a couple of minutes the bulk of the fire is knocked:

Moving towards the front:

Most of the fire is knocked as they move around to the other side:

Opening up the hood by cutting the hinges with bolt cutters:

A final wetdown once its opened up:

There is some stuff in these pictures that goes without saying!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:There is some stuff in these pictures that goes without saying!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately,yes!!
Fantastic catch Howard!!! I remember one day about 3 years ago back when I was working at Charlesmead Pharmacy in my neigborhood, there was a vehicle fire right across the street on Bellona Avenue, just south of Gittings that was well off! We all were watching it burn for a good couple minutes till 43 Engine arrived on scene and unfortunately I did not have my camera.  Also this was before I had an I-phone so the shots I got on my flip phone were really poor quality.  At least I don't have to worry about that happening again though!

Quote:There is some stuff in these pictures that goes without saying!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would say.  That is the least amount of PPE I have seen on a car fire in some time.  
Time machine: July, 1990, Baltimore...

photos by myself

at least the salad bowl helmets are gone

Quote:#2
Ah, the good old days!  The only thing missing is the booster line! Lol

Shaking my head. We should know better. Banghead

Quote:Shaking my head. We should know better. Banghead
100+ years of tradition unimpeded by progress and technology!  You also have to wonder why the officer was on the nozzle in Photo #2. Unsure  

Short crew with what appeared to be a probie in the jump seat.