Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York State
[quote name='CNYFireTrucks' timestamp='1331860820' post='477599']

I have only one Panama Fire Dept in NY on my list. It must be that one.

[/quote]

Thanks, John. I wasn't sure if there was another one or not. They operate out of two stations. I have shot the following apparatus there:

Autocar/Darley 1500/1500

Ford F/4-Guys 750/1600

Mack RD/4-Guys 1500/3000

Dodge/Fibre Body 90/300

Mack MR/4-Guys 1000/700

The Mack pumper came from Wellsville, NY and was still white/red when I shot it. Not sure if the KME will be a replacement or an addition.
Dave, can you please post a pic of the Autocar? Sounds like a neat rig.
[quote name='jlg1875' timestamp='1331908240' post='477660']

Dave, can you please post a pic of the Autocar? Sounds like a neat rig.

[/quote]

Sure, but I'm in Florida. Maybe Tuesday.
[quote name='GA_Dave' timestamp='1331947483' post='477719']

Sure, but I'm in Florida. Maybe Tuesday.

[/quote]

I've got you covered Dave, I believe this is your shot.

Attached Files Image(s)

John Kenealy

[url="http://www.cnyfiretrucks.com"]CNYFiretrucks.com: Over 5200 photos of apparatus from over 1000 New York State Departments![/url]

[Image: IMAG0400.jpg] New York
Thanks much guys, neat rig as I suspected it would be!
[quote name='CNYFireTrucks' timestamp='1332008969' post='477782']

I've got you covered Dave, I believe this is your shot.

[/quote]

It looks familiar....

Thanks, John!
Taberg (Oneida County) NY recently had their taker rechassised. This is the old....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

John Kenealy

[url="http://www.cnyfiretrucks.com"]CNYFiretrucks.com: Over 5200 photos of apparatus from over 1000 New York State Departments![/url]

And the new: a 2011 Freightliner chassis, with a 1500 gpm Darley pump and a 2000 gallon poly tank. Body work and refurb work done by Wildefire.

John Kenealy

My Fire Department's newest addition.

Central Nyack, NY (Rockland)

2-E.Q. 2011 Ford F550 Utility/Rescue (Hackney)

[Image: DSC_6928.jpg]

[Image: DSC_6943.jpg]
[Image: DSC_5940.jpg]

Watervliet Arsenal Federal FD

Watervliet, NY

Ladder 1

2011 Pierce Arrow XT

2000/350 105' Rear Mount Aerial

Job #24147
Eli Gill - [url="http://10-75.Net"]10-75.Net[/url]
I found (and shot) this photo on the wall at the Stanwix Heights FD in Oneida County NY. The label indicated that this is a 1944 with a Darley pump. Long gone.

John Kenealy

Also on the wall was this photo of a 1959 GMC/Darley.

John Kenealy

As requested in another thread, Brockport Rescue truck. It is also Ex-Bushnell's Basin, NY. Image from my collection.

John Kenealy

[quote name='CNYFireTrucks' timestamp='1337435909' post='485525']

As requested in another thread, Brockport Rescue truck. It is also Ex-Bushnell's Basin, NY. Image from my collection.

[/quote]

Thanks for posting...Very cool looking rig - the bookmobile style rigs were certainly distinctive. Looks like it ran into the 80's, with the striping and quartz lights.

Thanks,

Gary
Engine Rescue 183, Plotterkill / NY

2000 International 4900 / BME, 1500 gpm rear pump, 1000 water/ CAFS

Ron Bogardus photo - Juergen Kiefer collection.

Engine 496, Quaker Springs / NY

1999 International 4800 4x4 / V-TEC, 1000 gpm rear pump, 500 water/ 25 foam

Ron Bogardus photo - Juergen Kiefer collection.

[quote name='The Commish' timestamp='1214528967' post='224633']

Canandiagua, NY

1942 Ford/ ALFco

500/150

Ron Bogardus photo

[/quote]

I don't know where Ron obtained this photo, or when the picture was taken, but the truck in this picture is our truck, and it was taken in front of the old Raymore-Flanigan's Furniture store on the corner of Main Street and Niagara Street in downtown Canandaigua.

In this picture it shows the white "liberty" license plates on the truck. In 1986 in honor of the 100th anniversary of the statue of liberty, New York state changed their license plates to depict the statue of Liberty on them. These plates were available from July 1, 1986 until May 1, 2001.

Donovan "Ike" Smith owned this truck from December, 1981 until his death in April, 2001. On November 30, 2001 my father and I became the owners of this truck, we tore it down to the frame rails and started over. The truck has been fully restored and it was won a Senior Grand National Award through the Antique Automobile Club of America, as well as a First Dearborn Award through the Early Ford V8 Club of America.

This picture was taken between the late 1980's and the late 1990's. Sometime between the time this photo was taken and the time we got the truck, the Mutual Hook & Ladder company was removed from the doors, and a Federal Beacon Ray light was added to the roof.

Trust me when I say this, but when we got the truck in our possession, the truck was borderline junk, but it's come a long way.... The pictures do not do it justice as to how bad this truck really was.

Some history of the truck??

The CIty of Canandaigua ordered this truck on December 10, 1941. The city chose to ignore state municpal laws to where they ordered the truck and did not put the truck out for bid as required by law. The truck was delivered on March 19, 1942 at a cost of $3,750. What wasn't known until a short time ago was that American LaFrance would only build 7 trucks after this one. Of those 7 trucks, this was the last closed cab delivered to a local fire department in the United States (1 would go to Canada, 1 would go to a steel plant, the rest would be open cabs).

This truck was would be retired in May, 1971 when it was replaced by a 1971 Ford / Young pumper. At the time that it was replaced, this was the longest piece of motorized fire apparatus in the history of the Canandaigua Fire Department. This record is a record that still stands today. The last fire that this truck fought was on March 29, 1971. This fire was the deadliest fire in the history of Canandaigua. After that the truck remained as a parade truck until December 1981 when the city sold it to Ike Smith.

Ironically, a man by the name of Eric Outhouse would take this truck to its' last fire. On July 4, 2007 Eric would play a role in the public unveiling of the '42 Ford. Ten months later, Eric would die on May 25, 2008 and four days later, Eric would take his final ride to the cemetery aboard the truck that he took to its' last fire.

This truck is the only fire truck in upstate New York to win the national awards that it has won, and one of only 6 in the country to do the same. From September 2011 until four weeks ago the truck was on loan to the AACA Museum i Hershey, Pennsylvania.

During the holidays, it shared space with the taxi (Ernie's Taxi) that was used in the 1946 James Capra movie "It's a Wonderfull Life."

Attached to this post is a picture that I retrieved off of this very website, while the other photo was obtain from the Messenger Post Newspapers where it shows the truck taking Eric Outhouse to his grave.

Attached Files Image(s)

Here's the same truck as it appeared on November 30, 2001. By then the truck had seen better days.....

Attached Files Image(s)

The same truck again not quite two years later...

Attached Files Image(s)

The earliest known photo that I have been able to obtain from the truck. Unknown photographer, unknown date, photo courtesy of Red Leonard.

Attached Files Image(s)