Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relics
I'm pretty sure the rest of Tony's collection has been posted at one time or another. Tony also suggested we see another guy in the same County that had a bunch of old fire trucks named Anthony Lynn. Mr. Lynn had close to 25 old rigs in his garage or on his property. I'll give Andrew a chance to post Anthony's collection of antique Seagrave, Pirsch, ALF, Howe, and other assorted builders. Trust me, you'll want to see some of the gems we found at Mr. Lynn's place that came from all over the East Coast and Midwest that we'll post as time allows.
Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
City of Winston-Salem Fire Dept.
Looks like you guys had a good time. How did you keep Andrew from drooling all over the trucks???
It was tough but someone had to do it, lol. Andrew and I have the contact info for Tony now so hopefully we can all get together & schedule a full day to have his collection outside for posed photos.

Also some FYI, we found out Winston-Salem's Baker snorkel and Seagrave tiller are still around in Advance, NC. The snorkel has supposedly been sitting outside for 15 years now but the tiller is kept in a barn/garage out of the elements. The original owner died and his son owns them now but is not very friendly toward buffs getting photos from what we gathered.
Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
City of Winston-Salem Fire Dept.
[quote name='BFD1151' timestamp='1333743514' post='480121']

Another unknown

[/quote]

ISN'T THAT AN ORIGINAL Pierce ARROW AUTO
[quote name='BFD1151' timestamp='1333742442' post='480117']

Big Bertha on the right is a 1928 ALF but I do not remember where its from. The other is an unknown 1929 Seagrave.

[/quote]

Rocky Mount, NC "X Engine 3"

1928 ALF

1000/350

Reg. # 5060
Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Visit My Photo Website! WNC Fire Pics

Proverbs 3:5-6

[quote name='davepa' timestamp='1333766939' post='480171']

ISN'T THAT AN ORIGINAL Pierce ARROW AUTO

[/quote]

I think it is a Packard, probably a Packard Henney (spelling?)
[quote name='BFD1151' timestamp='1333743393' post='480120']

You classic ambulance buffs will have to help me here because we were kind of rushed and could not get info on everything. I do remember Mr. Corriher saying this one was extremely rare but I don't remember what made it so rare.

[/quote]

This kind of looks like a Packard as well.
As Micah stated above, we had an awesome time viewing Mr. Corriher's collection, even if it was only for 2 or 3 minutes and no time to get photos of them all. Hopefully we can get them all posed some sunny day! After leaving Mr. Corriher's collection, he suggested we visit Mr. Anthony Lynn up near the Woodleaf fire district. Little did we know what we were in for. Micah and I were both like kids on Christmas morning when we pulled into the driveway! Mr. Lynn was extremely courteous, allowing us to shoot pics of each one of his trucks and telling us all the info he knew about them. Without any further, let's start viewing Mr. Lynn's collection!

Winston-Salem, NC "X Engine 19"

1947 ALF 710-PJC

750gpm

Reg. # L-3181

Andrew Messer Photo (2012)

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

It was a surprise to find this rig. Fontana Village is in Graham County, NC, about an hour or so west of where I live. I never knew they had this truck! A few years ago, I found another older Fontana Village engine; a 1970's Ford C/Howe engine that was also ex-TVA. Unfortunately, now the Fontana Village Public Safety has no more fire trucks that anyone is aware of. I hope some of you can tell me more info about this one...

Fontana Village, NC "X Engine"

19?? Ford F-5 4x4/Howe

500gpm

S/N # ????

X: Tennessee Valley Authority

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

According to Mr. Lynn, this truck used to be some sort of utility truck or small rescue truck. When he got the truck from Maryland, he didn't realize what shape the truck was in. He took the body off of the truck and that's about as far as this project went. Not sure where the body was at either... Any photos or help with specs would be great!

Lakes & Straits Fire Company of Wingate, MD "441"

19?? Dodge 300/(unknown)

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Not sure what the big homemade awning over the back of this truck was for. Mr. Lynn told us that this truck still drives, pumps, and operates.

Locke Township, NC "X Engine 1"

1956 IHC S-160/Howe HRT

500/500

S/N # 9901

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Here is one of Nashville, TN's many old Seagrave engines. The truck was delivered with a gas engine, but was upgraded to a Detroit Diesel while in service at Nashville. It also was delivered and remained red while in service. It must have been assigned to Public Works afterwards to get the white paint job and the amber light.

Nashville, TN "X Engine"

1963 Seagrave 900B

1000gpm

S/N # N-5201

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

The rigs I've already posted are all in the rear exterior of the garage. Now for the portion of the collection that he keeps in the garage! I'll start off with a truck that I had a fit over. I need some help figuring out more info about this truck. This is one I can't wait to re-shoot out in the sunlight one day!

Union, (unknown state) "X Truck 3"

19?? FWD Tractioneer/Seagrave

300/150/85' Seagrave

Chassis # K13085

Model # FC4-029

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Our good friend GA_Dave may recognize this one. Not sure if this one was still floating around down there when you were firetrucking in that area or not.

DeKalb County, GA "X Engine 18"

1958 Ford F-850/Peter Pirsch & Sons

750/750

S/N # PF-59

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

This was another one of Micah and I's favorite finds of the day! This truck too still drives and operates! Too bad it was tucked in the back corner of the garage.

Nancy Run FC #1 of Bethlehem Twp, PA "X Ladder 1421"

1950 Seagrave 12JA

1000gpm/85' Seagrave aerial

S/N # F-1125

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Not really sure of this entire history of this rig. It was lettered for Smith Grove VFD which is in nearby Davie County, NC. The numbers on the front fender matches the numbering scheme of Piney Grove VFD in Forsyth County, NC. Maybe you fine folks know more this truck than I do...

Smith Grove, NC "X Engine 232"

1942 Peter Pirsch & Sons Model 20

600gpm (odd pump size....)

S/N # 1212

X: Masonville, NJ

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

This one was another favorite! We'd never seen a Ford Big Job tandem-axle truck from that era! Once again, I need some help finishing the details of this truck...

Apple Creek, OH "X Tanker 103"

1964 Ford F-850/American (pump/Unknown Builder (body)

500/2000

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

"Big Red " here was wedged into the other back corner of the building, making it near impossible to get a picture of it at all. This is the best we could pull off. This rig had obviously been upgraded during its career, now boasting some newer LED lights in the back. This one formerly served a housing development called "Bent Tree" down in Jasper, GA, not too far from unMARKedCARR's area. Mark and I have visited Pickens County several times, but we've never been to this station. I would love to find out more about this one...

Bent Tree FD of Jasper, GA "X Engine"

19?? FWD

1250/1250

Chassis # C80273

Model # FZ1227

"Big Red"

X: ???

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Micah and I had visited this FD earlier this year. It was ironic to find an old Marion, VA truck down here in NC!

Marion, VA "X Engine 1"

1956 Ford BigJob F-800/Oren

750/750

S/N # 750-A-1539

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

I was first alerted to this truck being in North Carolina thanks to Bruce Anderson's list of fire trucks that were sent down south after serving in Pennsylvania. This truck was delivered to Ephrata, PA and then sold to Davidson, NC at some point. Prior to getting the information from Bruce, Micah, Benjy and I had visited and shot the fleet of Davidson, NC with this truck nowhere to be found. I was afraid it was gone. It was great to find this truck there in the same garage as so many other pieces of fire apparatus history! I'm glad to know this truck still lives on!

Davidson, NC "X Ladder 1"

1955 Seagrave 530A

85' Seagrave aerial

S/N # H-9235

X: Ephrata, PA

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823