• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Philadelphia, PA
Engine 16

1996 KME

Former Pipeline 6

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 906

1995 KME

Started out as Engine 1, then reassigned to Engine 57, became 906, was then reassigned to Engine 71, and is now Engine 273.

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 37

1991 Seagrave

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 110

1995 KME

Former Pipeline 50

Attached Files Image(s)

Squad 201

1999 Freightliner/E-One

Former Engine 16

Attached Files Image(s)

Does anybody have a complete, or almost complete up to date roster for the City of Philadelphia? I'd like to come down and photograph some of the apparatus sometime soon, but with all the changes, I have no idea what is where. Any help is appreciated. You can pm me, or email me at pshoop@hotmail.com if you can help. Thanks
I second Shoops request...I have tried to keep up with who has what apparatus, but the last year or so has been crazy!
A reserve 1984 Seagrave Invader 1000/500 Pumper filling in for Engine 55 a while back

Attached Files Image(s)

Another reserve 1984 Seagrave Invader 1000/500 Pumper filling in for Sqyrt 57 a while back

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ladder 212, serving as Ladder 10, covering for Ladder 16. Ladder 212 is a 1998 ALF (EX-Ladder 163, EX-Ladder 11)

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm sure that it's already been asked somewhere along in the thread but what is the difference between a 100, 200 & 900 series apparatus number? I'm sure it has something to do with the apparatus' status ie, ready reserve etc. thanks
[quote name='hadg317' timestamp='1334871163' post='482038']

I'm sure that it's already been asked somewhere along in the thread but what is the difference between a 100, 200 & 900 series apparatus number? I'm sure it has something to do with the apparatus' status ie, ready reserve etc. thanks

[/quote]

100 series--Used for quick fixes, fully equipped.

200 series--Used for long term, no equipment

300 series--Same as 100 but kept at single Ladder houses

400 series--Same as 200 but kept at single Ladder houses

900 series--Same as 200 and are assigned to the shops but can be kept at any station with room if needed.
Thanks!
100 & 300 are refered to as Reserves

200 & 400 & 900 are called SPARES
[sub]100 and 300 series are pieces fully equipped and used if there is a call back during a major fire. They can only be used in a spare capacity if there are no other spares (200 and 400 series) available. 900 series are not assigned to a station. They are stored wherever there is room. The department's policy is to use a 900 series first, since they then won't have to worry about a storage place for it.[/sub]
Hey Bmott, saw pix of the new Pumper w/Snozzle on Flickr site, weird designation to call it Tower-57.......
[quote name='R1SmokeEater' timestamp='1334932855' post='482099']

Hey Bmott, saw pix of the new Pumper w/Snozzle on Flickr site, weird designation to call it Tower-57.......

[/quote]

It is an odd designation. I think the actual designation will be "Water Tower" but it says "Tower" on the truck just like on the Ladder Towers that just say "Ladder" on the truck.
Weren't the original squrt's called water tower's?
[quote name='Shindaga' timestamp='1335082142' post='482351']

Weren't the original squrt's called water tower's?

[/quote]

The Ward LaFrance assigned to Engine 8 back in the 1970's was called TOWER PUMPER.

Engine 8's 1974 Ward LaFrance and Engine 43's 1971 Oshkosh/Pierce both had "tower pumper" decals on their sides but their radio designations were never Tower Pumper. In the mid 1980's, about 1985, the PFD started using radio designations that inidicated what type of apparatus the company was utilizing. Engine 8 became Squrt 8, Ladder 2 become Snorkel 2, Ladder 6 became Tower Ladder 6, etc. Prior to that everything was either Engine of Ladder. If the company's special apparatus was out of service and they were using a regular engine or ladder, their designation would revert back to engine or ladder, until their regularly assigned apparatus was returned to them. The new terminology to be used for Engines 38 and 57 will be Water Tower. The reason being that they're snozzles not squrts. I think it's ridiculous but hey what do I know?