Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charlie Black's Crown Coach
While digging thru some old photos I came across a disk of shots Charlie had me take. The photos ended up being submitted to Code 3.

I know the rig is from the West Coast, but that is about it when it comes to the spec's.

I only drove it once and that was when I took it from the downtown shop up to Charlie's Ranch where these photos were taken.

Hope someone finds these interesting!

Tim W.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Sorry for the Quality, but these where shot back in April of 2000 with a VERY early digital camera....

Attached Files Image(s)

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Pump Panel

Attached Files Image(s)

rear view

Attached Files Image(s)

Driver's Position

Attached Files Image(s)

Top view of the cab

Attached Files Image(s)

Passenger Side

Attached Files Image(s)

Top view towards rear

Attached Files Image(s)

Looking forward along the pump panel.

Attached Files Image(s)

Officer's side jump seat...

That's all from this group. Thanks for looking!

Tim W.

Attached Files Image(s)

Did you get any other shots of the rigs he keeps up at his ranch?

Paul
Paul;

I shot most everything in Charlie's collection during my employment. The only problem is that most of apparatus stuff is on film from 1977 thru 2002, that along with everything from my stints as a newspaper photographer makes for a mess of negitives to scan..

As I sort thru the images I'll post more.

Tim

F-1236

1961 Crown Firecoach

1250/500

x-Covina, CA
I shot this rig at the 1991 Baltimore Expo. Nice rig.
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
[quote name='Crossbronxxpress' post='58280' date='Dec 13 2006, 00:55 ']I shot this rig at the 1991 Baltimore Expo. Nice rig.[/quote]

That is a nice Crown. I dont know much about Charlie Black. I have heard of him and his extensive collection of fire trucks. So best of my knowledge there are 3 Crown Firecoach's east of the Miss., Charlie has his, a friend of mine Mark has a '70 Crown Firecoach in NJ, I'll attach a picture of his, and I just bought from auction a 75 Crown Telesquirt. I'll attach a pic of it too.

Frank

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[quote name='knarfage' post='58326' date='Dec 13 2006, 07:14 ']That is a nice Crown. I dont know much about Charlie Black. I have heard of him and his extensive collection of fire trucks. So best of my knowledge there are 3 Crown Firecoach's east of the Miss., Charlie has his, a friend of mine Mark has a '70 Crown Firecoach in NJ, I'll attach a picture of his, and I just bought from auction a 75 Crown Telesquirt. I'll attach a pic of it too.

Frank[/quote]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

There's an interesting story about the cross country trip of that Crown of Charlie'.
[quote name='dogboy' post='58352' date='Dec 13 2006, 12:06 ']There's an interesting story about the cross country trip of that Crown of Charlie'.[/quote]

Is it a long story, short story? Something to do with possibly driving it across? Me and some guys from our club brieftly considered the drive across, then decided a hauler was the best way.

Does Charlie take the Crown out at all? Would definitely be a looker when out in a parade/convention........
[quote name='knarfage' post='58379' date='Dec 13 2006, 13:22 ']Is it a long story, short story? Something to do with possibly driving it across? Me and some guys from our club brieftly considered the drive across, then decided a hauler was the best way.[/quote]

We'll be driving our 1975 Crown Firecoach from Orange, California to Hope, Indiana in May (or somewhere thereabouts). Should make for an interesting trip.

Besides our 1975 that's coming, there are also two other Crown Firecoaches in Indiana, though I've only seen one of the two. The one that I saw was in a bad state of disrepair. I've heard the other one is in a lot better shape.
Quote:So best of my knowledge there are 3 Crown Firecoach's east of the Miss.

You must not be counting the ones that are IN SERVICE east of the Mississippi.........

Montvale, NJ

Beacon, CT

Clarksburg, VA

Glade Springs, VA

Sweetwater, TN

Fayetteville, AL

There are also several collector-owned Crowns in the Memphis area, like 6 or 7 of them together.