Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3-ALARMS Baltimore-Roland Park Mansion 1-23-14
Around 4:00PM 3 Alarms were sounded for a fire in a large 155 year-old mansion in the affluent section of northern Baltimore City known as Roland Park. On arrival companies had heavy fire inside the first floor front and making its way to the second floor and heavy smoke showing. Companies were hampered by the recent snow and cold spell in the area. Temperatures were around 5-10 degrees at the time and dropped as the sun went down.A couple of the hydrants in the area were found to be frozen and the street is one lane going into a dead end. The house is set back from the road quite a distance. Units had some long hose lays with relays and a lot of hand dragging the hose lines. There was also a ground level swimming pool on side D somewhat close to the house that the firefighters had to be careful that no one fell in.

First shot approaching the scene about 30 minutes into the operation:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A couple of handlines in operation on Side D:

Side A:

Side B:

Heavy smoke from Side A:

Attached Files Image(s)

Fire through the roof on Side A:

Attached Files Image(s)

Our new Fire Chief, Niles Ford made an appearance:

He started the day before.

Attached Files Image(s)

A partial collapse occurred on side D about 45 minutes in. When I moved over here it had already come down:

The fire was slowly making its way through the whole house:

Attached Files Image(s)

Around 7:00PM still moving: 

They found out that it was being fed by broken gas lines and BGE had to eventually dig up the lawn to shut the gas off to the house.

Nice pics.

Greg Muhr

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/'>http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/</a>
Nice series of pics, Howard.

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Nice shots Howard.  I love the pic of "Doctor Chief", he has a look on his face like "what did I get myself into!"

Quote:Nice shots Howard.  I love the pic of "Doctor Chief", he has a look on his face like "what did I get myself into!"
My thought exactly!!
Great shots.
Great shots Howard! Glad you were able to make it there!

Quote:Nice shots Howard.  I love the pic of "Doctor Chief", he has a look on his face like "what did I get myself into!"

Perhaps he's thinking, "Do I dare turn around and go home?" Smile
Great shots Howard.  I was in my office downtown, listening.  Was working on a time-sensitive project and couldn't leave.  How was parking / accessing the scene?
Only one dead end road into the scene.  I parked right off of Northern Pky. on a side street and probably had to walk a half mile in to it.

Didn't want to get blocked in for the duration!

Quote:Our new Fire Chief, Niles Ford made an appearance:

He started the day before.
Oh so this is what I signed on for, Man It's Cold out here Call me in April
Check out Md. Fire Apparatus @ MarylandFiretrucks.smugmug.com