• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ward LaFrance Ultravision
Salem, Ma

1975 Ward LaFrance

1500/4500

Eng-1

Gene Anderson Photo

Attached Files Image(s)

Don't remember seeing this one posted yet. it's part of the CIMA (Channel Industries Mutual Aid) system near the port of Houston, TX. This one is from Equistar, Channelview, TX and is a 1977 Ward LaFrance 1500/500 Pumper.

Photo by Mark Carr

Attached Files Image(s)

Ooops, sorry GADave. I just found it posted a couple of pages back by you. Mark
Here is Central Yavapai, AZ FD 1976 WLF 1250/750 when it was still in front line service at Engine 54 in Dewey, Az. before it becoming the pub ed rig. Sorry no serial. Anyone have it?? Sorry for the low angle, but the it was late in the day.

-DAvid

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

And the same rig in the better scheme as their Public Education rig. This has been posted before.

-DAvid

Here is Flagstaff, Az reserve Engine 6 which is a 1980 WLF 1500/500/40. When this shot was taken in 1995 they said it was built by Maxim and you can see the Maxim plate under the windshield. Although it located at station 3 it was lettered E6 as a spare. A month ago while I was up there, they still had it as a reserve but now its Reserve E3.

Can anyone provide more info about the Maxim part of the rig??? -DAvid

Quote:Here is Flagstaff, Az reserve Engine 6 which is a 1980 WLF 1500/500/40. When this shot was taken in 1995 they said it was built by Maxim and you can see the Maxim plate under the windshield. Although it located at station 3 it was lettered E6 as a spare. A month ago while I was up there, they still had it as a reserve but now its Reserve E3.

Can anyone provide more info about the Maxim part of the rig??? -DAvid

In 1975, Ward LaFrance was sold to North Street Associates, the same people who bought Maxim in 1975. From that point on, both Ward LaFrance and Maxim apparatus were being built at both factories. The cab was the same, with interchangeable face and windshield sections. Units ordered through Ward laFrance carried Ward LaFrance badging, units ordered through Maxim carried Maxim badging, regardless of which factory they were built in. The Ward LaFrance factory closed in 1979, with several units still on order. These were completed at the Maxim factory. All of these carried "80 series" numbers. One of the last "80 Series" rigs was delivered to Flagstaff, #80-1704, built at the Maxim factory. I'm not sure why it had Maxim badging. Flagstaff also had a 1973 Ward LaFrance 1500/750 pumper that was equipped with 4 wheel drive, #80-801. It was assigned to Engine 3. Were there any others at Flagstaff?

Maxim also offered the "87 Series" which was the same Ultravision cab face as used by Ward LaFrance. At this time, 87-1057 is the highest number I've found in this series. These rigs all had Maxim badging. In addition, there was another series of Ward LaFrance Ambassadors that had "2100 Series" numbers. Ward LaFrance operated another factory in Geneva, NY for a while and it is possible that the "2100 Series" rigs may have been constructed there. So far, I have 8 apparatus in that database, built in 1978, 1979 and 1980, but the numbers go up to #2172 so far. I'm sure there are more out there.
[quote name='DAvid' post='60962' date='Dec 23 2006, 22:56 ']And the same rig in the better scheme as their Public Education rig. This has been posted before.

-DAvid[/quote]

Now THATS what I call a "FIRE" Engine!
Northfield, NJ

1970 Ward LaFrance

1250/750

Credit Photographer

Attached Files Image(s)

Ellenville, NY

1972 Ward LaFrance

75' RM

Ron Bogardus photo

Attached Files Image(s)

Two more shots of Freeport, Long Island, NY Fire Department's old Ward LaFrance Snorkel, Unit 217.

The first shot is most likely from the Freeport Memorial Day parade (year unknown) but that's probably somewhere along Merrick Road near Park Avenue, Freeport.

The second was taken in Parking Field No. 11 on Church Street, right across from the quarters of Excelsior Hook & Ladder Co. No. 1.

By the way the blue Ward LaFrance pumper shown in a couple of other posts in this thread - Unit 212 - of Hose Co. No. 2 was originally lime yellow, just like this rig. Not sure when it was repainted blue, but I would guess it was the late 1980's or early 1990's. I know somebody else mentioned it being refurbished in '93, but it may have been repainted blue prior to that.

Image(s)

Baltimore City, Maryland

Reserve Engine 33

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:Northfield, NJ

1970 Ward LaFrance

1250/750

#80-152
Quote:Ellenville, NY

1972 Ward LaFrance

75' RM

Ellenville had two rigs from Ward LaFrance, a pumper and this ladder. The numbers were 80-443 and 80-449. I'm not sure which is which. Anyone have a shot of the pumper?
I think I found another, I remember Snyder, NY having one, here is the only shot I could find from their website. it's a 1969.

Attached Files Image(s)

[Image: IMG_1253.jpg]

Not much info about this rig is use to be run by LA County Fire it's now owned by the San Diego Fire Dept and was sitting on the grounds of there training center
[quote name='GA_Dave' post='62064' date='Dec 28 2006, 02:53 ']#80-152[/quote]

Are you sure about the number/year? My guess would be that #80-152 was manufactured somewhere around 1967.

Laurens

NL
Quote:Are you sure about the number/year? My guess would be that #80-152 was manufactured somewhere around 1967.

So would I, but the delivery list disagrees! There is a batch of numbers between 80-150 and 80-164, plus 80-188, 189 and 190, that were delivered in 1970, not 1967 or 1968 like those numbered around them. I can't explain why, can only confirm what the list says.
[quote name='GA_Dave' post='62428' date='Dec 29 2006, 05:28 ']So would I, but the delivery list disagrees! There is a batch of numbers between 80-150 and 80-164, plus 80-188, 189 and 190, that were delivered in 1970, not 1967 or 1968 like those numbered around them. I can't explain why, can only confirm what the list says.[/quote]

OK, just wondered. Thanks!

Laurens

NL
1974 Ward La France Ambassador 1500/300

Fire Department of Memphis - Engine Co. 9

One of several purchased in '74

John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"