Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
This & That from Here & There
The last rig for today is the new Engine 109 that was stored at the airport station until Station 109 is built.

Engine 109, Macon-Bibb County, GA

2012 Pierce Arrow XT

1500/500

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

well, here's two you missed at Alapaha. I must have the others, just not scanned yet.

The Hahn is no longer in that paint scheme, it is white with green stripes. Thanks for posting them.
[quote name='GA_Dave' timestamp='1340636080' post='490065']

Tanker 1, Alapaha, GA

1984 GMC General/Hamerly/Gibson/Wilson refurb

2000/2800

[/quote]

Thanks Dave for the follow up. I had been trying to track down this rig for a few years. I had heard that it was donated down south somewhere but was never told where. I will contact Alapaha for some more data now. This was another complete Hamerly debockle for the books for sure!
[quote name='GA_Dave' timestamp='1340636080' post='490065']

The guys at Ray City told me about the next FD, located about ten miles north of Nashville, in the small town of Alapaha. They said that Alapaha had a "bunch of trucks". Crammed into one building are eight pieces, five that were donated to them from New Jersey and still lettered for their former FD's. A Ford C/Hahn and a Ford F/Cherefko, both from East Freehold, along with a Duplex/TASC from Whitesville, all had dead batteries. A Hahn from Jackson Mills fired right up, but would not budge. The brakes were frozen. The driver immediately called the mechanic. This is their front line engine! The only x-Jersey rig that I was able to shoot was also a former Whitesville rig.

Tanker 1, Alapaha, GA

1984 GMC General/Hamerly/Gibson/Wilson refurb

2000/2800

[/quote]

It's says alot for their financial situation when they can't maintain donated apparatus, AWESOME pix!
Dave, when you shot this rig, did they give you a breakdown on who was involved in the actual building of the truck originally and who did the refirb aprt?

There are so many name plates on this truck I loose track!
[quote name='ShoreFire' timestamp='1340720917' post='490272']

It's says alot for their financial situation when they can't maintain donated apparatus, AWESOME pix!

[/quote]

I really didn't find the situation all that surprising. I've run into it many times before. These are 30+ year old apparatus. The Volunteer Fire Service is much different down here, compared to most of the Northeast. Fire Departments up there are social centers for many communities. Down here, they are step-children, red-headed ones at that! They are deemed a necessary evil, but receive no more than "table scaps" at budget time. Fund raising activities are almost non-existant here, not for lack of trying, but for lack of support. Membership is low, just a handful of very dedicated folks in each community. Most apparatus are old and were donated or purchased second or third hand. Typically, Alapaha only runs four rigs anyway, the others are just sitting there. The last new pumper Alapaha bought is a 1971 Ford F-750/ALF, which was also dead, sitting next to the Ford/Cherefko!
[quote name='Chester911' timestamp='1340725058' post='490276']

Dave, when you shot this rig, did they give you a breakdown on who was involved in the actual building of the truck originally and who did the refirb aprt?

There are so many name plates on this truck I loose track!

[/quote]

Not even close! I had to look over the rig to get the info I did get, then compare what I had to the info published with a photo of it that I found in the Visiting Fireman. It was begun by Hamerly, finished by Gibson and refurbed by Wilson, although I don't know exactly when each one had it. The only date on the rig was 1984. The Alapaha FF said it was a 2500 gallon tank, but the info with the photo said 2800. Whitesville has no info on their website about it, except that they donated it to Alapaha. Next time I'm down that way, I'll make another try to shoot the Hahn. It's about a three hour trip each way.
[quote name='GA_Dave' timestamp='1340725699' post='490277']

I really didn't find the situation all that surprising. I've run into it many times before. These are 30+ year old apparatus. The Volunteer Fire Service is much different down here, compared to most of the Northeast. Fire Departments up there are social centers for many communities. Down here, they are step-children, red-headed ones at that! They are deemed a necessary evil, but receive no more than "table scaps" at budget time. Fund raising activities are almost non-existant here, not for lack of trying, but for lack of support. Membership is low, just a handful of very dedicated folks in each community. Most apparatus are old and were donated or purchased second or third hand. Typically, Alapaha only runs four rigs anyway, the others are just sitting there. The last new pumper Alapaha bought is a 1971 Ford F-750/ALF, which was also dead, sitting next to the Ford/Cherefko!

[/quote]

Agreed, I noticed it alot in the rural central Florida area during my travels there. Referring to "dead" apparatus behind a station, a Chief called them "precious metals" and he couldn't bear to part with them!
[quote name='GA_Dave' timestamp='1340726052' post='490278']

Not even close! I had to look over the rig to get the info I did get, then compare what I had to the info published with a photo of it that I found in the Visiting Fireman. It was begun by Hamerly, finished by Gibson and refurbed by Wilson, although I don't know exactly when each one had it. The only date on the rig was 1984. The Alapaha FF said it was a 2500 gallon tank, but the info with the photo said 2800. Whitesville has no info on their website about it, except that they donated it to Alapaha. Next time I'm down that way, I'll make another try to shoot the Hahn. It's about a three hour trip each way.

[/quote]

I am also writing their Chief. If I get a response Ill share with you.
[quote name='GA_Dave' timestamp='1318437460' post='460174']

American Fore Company #1 in Lansford operates this Ford F-700 as a brush truck. I'm looking for the year and capacities.

[/quote]

I'm pretty late on this one but the truck is a 1994. It has a 500 Gallon water tank, and I'd have to get back to you on this, but somewhere around a 200 gpm trash pump. It is a former US Air Force truck donated to us by the state forest service as they had no use for it, being it's only 2 wheel drive. It's ideal for us because in our response area there are numerous mining roads making brush fires easily accessable without 4WD
[quote name='dist15ff' timestamp='1341087675' post='490727']

I'm pretty late on this one but the truck is a 1994. It has a 500 Gallon water tank, and I'd have to get back to you on this, but somewhere around a 200 gpm trash pump. It is a former US Air Force truck donated to us by the state forest service as they had no use for it, being it's only 2 wheel drive. It's ideal for us because in our response area there are numerous mining roads making brush fires easily accessable without 4WD

[/quote]

But never too late. Thanks for the info!
It has been quite a while since I last posted here! On the same day as I shot the rigs at Macon, I also hit a few stations in Warner Robins and Houston County, then made a beeline for Stone Mountain Park, where I had an appointment to shoot their apparatus.

Engine 101, Warner Robins, GA

2012 E\-One Cyclone II

1250/750

Engine 51, Houston County, GA

2012 Freightliner M2/Deep South

1500/1100

#A538

My visit to Stone Mountain Park netted me six apparatus, but most were not all that interesting. They operate a Freightliner/E-One pumper, a Ford/E-One mini, a Ford/Reading (x-Atlanta Gas Light service truck) rescue and two Polaris Rangers, one for brush fires and one for EMS calls. The interesting rig is shown here. There is a railroad that encircles the mountain and there have been numerous brush fires in the park that are only accessible from the tracks. This apparatus, assembled at the park, is equipped with high rail equipment, a 250 GPM pump and an 1800 gallon tank.

On July 27th, I began a 3900 mile road trip that would add 215 more apparatus to my collection of photos. For the most part, the weather was great, however there must be some rule that won't allow me and the sun to be in West Virginia at the same time! I did manage to get a couple rigs there, but several of my planned stops were rained out.

Engine 2, Bradley-Prosperity FD, Bradley, WV

1991 Seagrave LP08DF/2002 Advantage Fire Apparatus

2000/2500/50F

#Y75636

Engine 21, Jane Lew, WV

2004 Pierce Enforcer

1250/1500/30F

Engine 22, Jane Lew, WV

1992 Ford LS-9000/4-Guys

1250/1000