Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
This & That from Here & There
Quote:Reminds me of an old Bookmobile... Remember those??
That could be because many of the Bookmobiles were built by Gerstenslager.
Many thanks to all those who have offered info on this batch of VA rigs.  I really thought Taylor would have jumped on that Henrico County Engine 4, but maybe he isn't old enough...... Fireman

And that's exactly what it was.  Long, long gone before I got hired.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:Many thanks to all those who have offered info on this batch of VA rigs.  I really thought Taylor would have jumped on that Henrico County Engine 4, but maybe he isn't old enough...... Fireman

Yep, you're right!  Unfortunately, a lot of our department's apparatus history prior to the 90's wasn't very well documented.
Taylor Goodman
It was actually the county book mobile in a former life and then repurposed as the original county haz mat unit.  When it was replaced it was again repurposed as the tech rescue unit.  It is now privately owned by a local collector that has several Henrico units
coachbuilt.com's Gerstenslager section is well worth a look.

Quote: 

Yep, you're right!  Unfortunately, a lot of our department's apparatus history prior to the 90's wasn't very well documented.
I just got an email from Greg Stapleton advising me that Henrico County Engine 4 was a 1968 International CO-8190/Oren 1000/800, one of three.

Taylor - Were you not with me at Ashland when I shot that F-550/Reading at Squad 1?  I was thinking that it was one of the rigs shot on a day we shot a bunch of Hanover County stuff with Jerry Puryear.
Quote:Taylor - Were you not with me at Ashland when I shot that F-550/Reading at Squad 1?  I was thinking that it was one of the rigs shot on a day we shot a bunch of Hanover County stuff with Jerry Puryear.

I remember riding around with you and Jon U when you all were here for the winter SPAMFAA convention, but it was raining like all get-out.  Maybe my mind is getting fuzzy at 38 years old.  ;-)
Taylor Goodman
Quote: 

I remember riding around with you and Jon U when you all were here for the winter SPAMFAA convention, but it was raining like all get-out.  Maybe my mind is getting fuzzy at 38 years old.  ;-)
Or mine is at 54!
Quote:I just got an email from Greg Stapleton advising me that Henrico County Engine 4 was a 1968 International CO-8190/Oren 1000/800, one of three.

Taylor - Were you not with me at Ashland when I shot that F-550/Reading at Squad 1?  I was thinking that it was one of the rigs shot on a day we shot a bunch of Hanover County stuff with Jerry Puryear.

Dave,

Just found it. 1989 Ford/Reading. Photo I have in my collection was when this truck was running as the "Technical Rescue".

Mike Sanders

winchester, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Quote:Dave,

Just found it. 1989 Ford/Reading. Photo I have in my collection was when this truck was running as the "Technical Rescue".

Mike Sanders

winchester, VA
Thanks, Mike!
We have finally been having some decent weather here in Georgia the past few days and I was able to get out and capture a couple pics.

Engine 2, Decatur, GA

2013 Sutphen Monarch

2000/750/30F

HS-5304

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

This one is a reshoot in better light.  I originally posted this in post #3587 of this thread.

Truck 18, DeKalb County, GA

2012 Sutphen SP-100

1500/300/100'

HS-5184 (harvested aerial from HS-3080)

Back in October, 2011 (post #2062), I posted a shot of a new Sutphen for Engine 1 in Coweta County, GA.  That pumper has been reassigned to Engine 7 and replaced by this one.  There are minor differences between the two.

Engine 1, Coweta County, GA

2013 Sutphen Monarch

1500/750/40F

HS-5256

Dekalb just awarded Pierce a FDNY style heavy rescue. Should be neat to see when it is done!

Quote:Dekalb just awarded Pierce a FDNY style heavy rescue. Should be neat to see when it is done!

These have started selling like crazy in parts of MD and VA as well.
Taylor Goodman
Quote:Dekalb just awarded Pierce a FDNY style heavy rescue. Should be neat to see when it is done!
It will replace a 1996 Spartan/Saulsbury at R-24.
What makes a Heavy Rescue a  "FDNY style heavy rescue"?

Quote:What makes a Heavy Rescue a  "FDNY style heavy rescue"?

2-door, 2-man custom cab with a twin-screw, walk-in body.

OWL's was based very closely off the FDNY specs when they purchased theirs.

Falmouth, Mechanicsville, Bel Alton, Bay District and soon Bedford, VA will have purchased like rigs as well.
Taylor Goodman
Thanks Taylor..So it's basically the 2-door cab that does it. Similar to Hughesville, Hyattsville and Waldorf's .