Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mark Carr Photos
N16973 is a 1978 Bell 212 helicopter also shot at the Fairbanks forestry station.

Mark Carr photo

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Temsco contracts this bird to the forest service.  It had been hauling a Bambi bucket to the forest fire nearby but was now shuttling firefighters.  It's a 1977 Bell 212, tail #N16920.   

Mark Carr photo

Mark you were up here?

I would have gladly gotten rigs pulled out for you.

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Quote:Mark you were up here?

I would have gladly gotten rigs pulled out for you.

Yep, we were there.  Didn't remember that we had anyone from the board that lived there.  What department are you at?  All I got, other than planes, is what's pictured.
Quote:Temsco contracts this bird to the forest service.  It had been hauling a Bambi bucket to the forest fire nearby but was now shuttling firefighters.  It's a 1977 Bell 212, tail #N16920.   

Mark Carr photo

Cool shots, Mark - The non-aviation types won't care, but the two previous choppers were Bell 212's (two-blade main rotor - the 412 has a four blade rigid design i.e. the Medevac bird).
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
Quote:Cool shots, Mark - The non-aviation types won't care, but the two previous choppers were Bell 212's (two-blade main rotor - the 412 has a four blade rigid design i.e. the Medevac bird).
Thanks, I knew that too but I was posting them about 4-o'clock in the morning and musta been half asleep.  Just a typo.  Thanks!  Smile
I was invited to visit and photograph a rig today at the Hiwassee Dam Fire Dept. in Cherokee County, NC.  I'd shot this rig before but they wanted to have some t-shirts made and needed a larger format photo.  So, I "helped them out" and got to get some better shots than I had, plus shoot two other rigs and their new station.  

First up is the one for the t-shirt - a 2008 IHC 4400 Durastar/Crimson 1500/1000 Pumper Tanker #2052, Job #131321

Mark V. Carr photo

This transplant to Hiwassee Dam comes from Dana, NC Fire Dept.  It is a 1987 FMC/Slagle's 1250-/500 pumper Engine 2053 Job #6154

Mark Carr photo

Second-hand from Bel Alton, MD, is  Hiwassee Dam's Engine 2062.  It is a 1988 Mack R/Pierce 1000/1500 pumper Engine,  Job #E-4177

Mark Carr photo

Last for now is Hiwassee Dam's newest fire station.  It's in the Bear Paw community and was built in 2013.  Right now, it houses the Mack and the FMC pictured above.

Mark Carr photo

A couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to join the good doctor, James Kus, on a whirlwind tour of the fire stations of Chile.  His intent was to gather photos of the newer American made fire apparatus that's recently been placed in service in the country and submit them with a future story to FAJ.  Well, we did well with that and have even branched off with future articles.  So, in order not to take away from any upcoming issues of FAJ, we've both agreed not to post any of the American rigs we photographed, nor any of the ladder carriers, something not seen in the United States.  So, with that all said, I'll move on with posting the "other" rigs we shot while there.

First up, from the city of Santiago, Chile is this beautiful 1957 Opel Metz pumper.  Pump and tank size weren't readily available.

Photo by Mark V. Carr

Engine 16 (Chileans call a pumper a "Bomba") is a 1996 Renault-Camiva 600/750.

Mark Carr photo

Santiago HazMat 17 is a 1999 Renault/Camiva 600/750 pumper.

Mark Carr photo

In Chile, with the exception of the airport fire departments, all of the departments are volunteer.  Some might have a driver on duty during the work day.  Some of the rescues (or rescates) have pumps, some do not.  A lot of the used American pumpers that have turned up in Chile are not being used as engines, but as rescues.  Like I said before though, we'll have to wait for a future magazine article to see some of those. 

This Santiago rig is Rescue 15, a 2005 MAN/Magirus.

Mark Carr photo

Due to the large reliance on volunteers, Chile uses a lot of personnel carriers.  This one is Santiago's unit X2, a 2008 Mercedes Benz Sprinter.

Mark Carr photo

Santiago S1 is a 2011 Ford E450 ambulance built by Mallory.  Fire department ambulances in Chile are not used for everyday emergencies but are dedicated just for firefighter injuries and illnesses.  

Mark Carr photo

One of the most exciting rigs we saw in Santiago is this 2012 MAN/Bronto Skylift.  It has a 135' articulating boom and is assigned to Ladder 15 (Mechanica 15). 

Mark Carr photo

Next up is the city of Puente Alto, Chile.  The first rig there is an unknown year Renault/Camiva 600/1250 pumper as Engine 1.

Mark Carr photo

The highlight of my day was this 1941 Ford/Lavanch y Hnos 500 GPM pumper at Puente Alto.  It was made even better when I got a ride in the old rig!

Mark Carr photo

Puente Alto's Engine 4 is a 1996 Renault/Camiva 600/375 which also serves as a HazMat unit.

Mark Carr photo