Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Canada Eh?
Leduc County, Alberta  2013 Fort Garry Fire Trucks/Int'l 7400  420/2500   s/n #M498

Attached Files Image(s)

another delivery headed to the far north:  Inuvik, Northwest Territories   2013 Fort Garry Fire Trucks/Int'l 4400  1050/1500/50   s/n #M487

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:another delivery headed to the far north:  Inuvik, Northwest Territories   2013 Fort Garry Fire Trucks/Int'l 4400  1050/1500/50   s/n #M487

2800 miles by road from the factory to the town!  That's the same distance from my house to Seattle, WA.  Would this be shipped via rail for delivery?
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
it will be shipped by road.  I understand that the last 700+ kms. are on a gravel highway.  The estimated drive time for just this stretch is 16 hours!  

Smoky Lake, Alberta  2013 Fort Garry Fire Trucks/FL-M2-106  4x4  1050/900/50  CAFS   s/n #M476

Attached Files Image(s)

just photographed this rig at the Acres plant in Wawanesa, Manitoba on a cool (-35 C with the wind chill) but sunny day.  This pumper/tanker is headed for Greenwich, Nova Scotia where it will be lettered locally.  It is a 2013 Acres/FL-M2-112  1250/2500

Attached Files Image(s)

Acres breaking into the market in the Maritimes?

Dave, just another beautiful summer day in Manitoba. Hysterical  Wink

A little bit chilly with -35 degrees, or ?
Quote:just photographed this rig at the Acres plant in Wawanesa, Manitoba on a cool (-35 C with the wind chill) but sunny day.  This pumper/tanker is headed for Greenwich, Nova Scotia where it will be lettered locally.  It is a 2013 Acres/FL-M2-112  1250/2500
Nice looking unit.  It is a shame that they don't have a web site to showcase what they are building and putting out in the field.
Stephen Taylor

Retired Volunteer Firefighter
Retired Career Fire Dispatcher
Yarmouth Fire Department
Yarmouth, N.S. Canada
I think they've been bidding on a lot down this way.......this is the first maybe 2nd unit for the Maritimes

I believe Acres delivered a rig to the Kingston, Nova Scotia FD during the past winter.  They have a Spartan chassis at their plant for Uniacke, NS.  Like many, I wish that they would create a web site of their products.

Leduc County, Alberta  2013 Fort Garry Fire Trucks/Spartan MS  1050/1000/10A/25B  s/n #M499

Attached Files Image(s)

Kitscoty, Alberta  2013 Fort Garry Fire Trucks/FL-M2-106  1050/1000/25  s/n #M491

Attached Files Image(s)

One thing that Big Dave didn't mention is that the engines for Leduc County that Fort Garry have been building for them have auxiliary pump panels off the rear of the engine. The thinking is that in rural situations with narrow drive ways where it would be difficult to access the main pump panel, the engine can still drive up and, using the rear pump panel, put the engine into service without delay. I photographed this engine with Big Dave and CdnFireTruckBuff this year when they were kind enough to include me on the grand tour they took.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Rear pump panel for narrow drive way but big overlap door on L2. Its look strange set-up for me.

Overlap need clearance each side.

And its not very friendly : the tail light and trafic light bar just eyes high.

No front intake for supply from the road.

Quote:One thing that Big Dave didn't mention is that the engines for Leduc County that Fort Garry have been building for them have auxiliary pump panels off the rear of the engine. The thinking is that in rural situations with narrow drive ways where it would be difficult to access the main pump panel, the engine can still drive up and, using the rear pump panel, put the engine into service without delay. I photographed this engine with Big Dave and CdnFireTruckBuff this year when they were kind enough to include me on the grand tour they took.
I will bite.

I love outside the box thinking, and an auxiliary pump panel does just that. Allows two choices for viewing with adding the length of a top mount pump.....The tail lights and arrowstick seem reasonable to be seen in  traffic. Put a car behind that truck and you will still see the lights.....too low and the lights are blocked in traffic. When do we use arrowsticks? In traffic....

OOps forgot about the front suction....haven't found a front suction that can pump capacity yet....Too many elbows....Ours would only draft 420GPM.....! So if the are receiving water from the road, wouldn't the supply hose come right off the back and into the rear or side inlet? Why a front suction if you cant get capacity? If its the supply pump (pumping up to the attack pump) at the road at the end of a rural laneway, put the porta tank right behind the truck. A rear suction comes straight off the pump in a straight line to the back  and can suck full capacity if done right....

thanks for the questions and the comments.  Leduc County has been using this basic pumper design since, at least, 2001.  This morning, I talked with the mechanic from Leduc County who was at Fort Garry Fire Trucks doing his final inspection.  When I raised the question as to why no front suction, he replied: "have you ever tried fighting fires in -40C weather?"  Evidently, front suction intakes have a tendency to freeze.  He also noted (as previously mentioned) that front intakes never achieve capacity and that they can affect the turning radius of the rig.  These points were confirmed by officials at Fort Garry Fire Trucks.

IMHO, Leduc County's unique design is a tribute to their innovative thinking that meets local needs and climate.

one of 2 new "Cougar" models for the Forest Protection Branch of the Government of Saskatchewan.  2013 Fort Garry Fire Trucks/Dodge Ram 5500  4x4  100/360/30

Attached Files Image(s)