Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Los Angeles Fire Dept
here's the info on the new station 15
By Bradford Evans
Video by Fernando Hurtado and Fiona Wang
Thursday, February 13, 2014 | 1:47 p.m. PST
PSTstory
The Los Angeles Fire Department and USC held a groundbreaking ceremony at McCallister Field Thursday morning for the future home of Fire Station No. 15, set to be built on Hoover Street and 30th Avenue.
The old station, located on 915 West Jefferson Boulevard, has served the community for more than fifty years.

Currently, the old station is approximately 9,000 square feet and the new one will be 16,000 square feet. By having a larger and more efficient facility, Battalion Chief Curt Klafta says that they should be able to react quicker.

"We will have access to Hoover," said Klafta, "and can avoid Jefferson all together, which will lead to better response times."

The University of Southern California is funding the construction for the new fire station. Interim Fire Chief James Featherstone said the new station will cost 48 million dollars.

USC President Max Nikias said the new station will better complement the new University Village, which is set to start construction this summer.

"It was very important for us," he said, "given how large the USC community is that there is always a fire station close to the campus."
new station 15
From KME's website...

2/25/2014
Nesquehoning, PA KME is pleased to announce the City of Los Angeles Fire Department has awarded KME, an order for fifteen (15) more custom pumpers. The award is part of a multi-year contract from which KME has already delivered almost threedozen engines.

The pumpers will be built on KMEs PredatorTM Severe ServiceTM chassis, designed for high volume fleets and will be similar to units previously delivered to the City in 2011 and 2013. Features include a 450hp engine, 1500gpm two-stage pump, 500/30 gallon water/foam tank, Class A foam system, and a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. The body is custom designed for the LAFD to carry the ladders at a low enclosed height, enclosed suction hose storage, and compartmentation in the hosebed area designed for specialized equipment.

- See more at: http://fire.kovatch.com/info/newswire/ci...maAlB.dpuf

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:From KME's website...

2/25/2014

Nesquehoning, PA KME is pleased to announce the City of Los Angeles Fire Department has awarded KME, an order for fifteen (15) more custom pumpers. The award is part of a multi-year contract from which KME has already delivered almost threedozen engines.

The pumpers will be built on KMEs PredatorTM Severe ServiceTM chassis, designed for high volume fleets and will be similar to units previously delivered to the City in 2011 and 2013. Features include a 450hp engine, 1500gpm two-stage pump, 500/30 gallon water/foam tank, Class A foam system, and a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. The body is custom designed for the LAFD to carry the ladders at a low enclosed height, enclosed suction hose storage, and compartmentation in the hosebed area designed for specialized equipment.

- See more at: http://fire.kovatch.com/info/newswire/ci...maAlB.dpuf

The rigs from the 2013 order are being assigned or have been assigned to the following units.

Engines 21 26 33 46 61 77 82 87 88 89 & 93.

Current           Reassigned

21        to               221

26        to               226

33        to               233

61        to               261

87        to               287

88        to               288

93        to               293

The other rigs will be moving to different houses.

46       to                79

77       to                25

82       to               101

89       to               278

I know that the last 4 rigs (79 25 101 278) & 288 were running '99 Pierces.  They will most likely be put into the reserve pool.

Unknown where the 15 2014 models will be assigned at this time.

Casey....

*Note my roster may be out of date

Buy why wouldnt E89 go to E289 which I show as a 96 model?

Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Quote:Casey....

*Note my roster may be out of date

Buy why wouldnt E89 go to E289 which I show as a 96 model?

Based on what I've seen on the Facebook page for task force 89, Engine 289 is running a '05-'06 Seagrave.

I'm surprised that this list wasn't posted earlier. It was posted on another board close to Christmas time, when they were still being outfitted and readied for the streets.

Hope that helps,
Can you PM me what board that is?
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
pm sent

http://www.code2high.com/LAFD/lafd_e89_1.jpg
After some research, the rig in the link posted by Monrovia1 was originally assigned to E 209.  When the department went through the cuts in July '11, a lot of rigs were shuffled around. When Engine 209 closed, and became Engine 89, which in turn, bumped the '06 Seagrave, which had been Engine 89 to Engine 289, forcing the '96 Seagrave into reserve.  So, when E-89 gets their new KME, their current '06 Arrow XT will become E-278.

Hope that clears things up some what.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/210337760/2014...ng-Group-1

Very interesting read regarding the current state of the LAFD.
Pierce has been awarded the contract the build new 100DFT Tiller's for the LAFD.
Suprised to hear Pierce, i know they've always purchased LTI tillers, with ALF gone I figured Spartan ERV would have had a fighting chance at the bid?
not really surprised,  Pierce is working their way back into the so-cal market by lowering their prices and competing with KME and other builders. take a look at orange county, all but ocfa and 1 city dept have now gone to Pierce. Seagrave continues to price themselves out of the market and lose customers

[Image: 117_zpsc322ea30.jpg]

Water Tender 77.
[Image: 162_zpse7818a00.jpg]

Two of the more unique and interesting vehicles in the LAFD Fleet.
What do they use the bikes for?

Well the front windshield says search and rescue so prolly for USAR work, no saddle bags though so they must pack the EMS bag and gear on that back rack over the rear fender.
Quote:What do they use the bikes for?
I believe they were originally bought to provide ems coverage during "Carmageddon", in which the I-405 over the Sepulveda Pass was shut down over a few day period to replace a bridge . The dept used the bikes to access they area more readily. And if transport was needed, they used gators to help transport the pt to an ambo.
Quote:here's the info on the new station 15

By Bradford Evans

Video by Fernando Hurtado and Fiona Wang

Thursday, February 13, 2014 | 1:47 p.m. PST

PSTstory

The Los Angeles Fire Department and USC held a groundbreaking ceremony at McCallister Field Thursday morning for the future home of Fire Station No. 15, set to be built on Hoover Street and 30th Avenue.

The old station, located on 915 West Jefferson Boulevard, has served the community for more than fifty years.

Currently, the old station is approximately 9,000 square feet and the new one will be 16,000 square feet. By having a larger and more efficient facility, Battalion Chief Curt Klafta says that they should be able to react quicker.

"We will have access to Hoover," said Klafta, "and can avoid Jefferson all together, which will lead to better response times."

The University of Southern California is funding the construction for the new fire station. Interim Fire Chief James Featherstone said the new station will cost 48 million dollars.

USC President Max Nikias said the new station will better complement the new University Village, which is set to start construction this summer.

"It was very important for us," he said, "given how large the USC community is that there is always a fire station close to the campus."

new station 15
Is that right?  48 million for 16,000 square feet?  Holy sh&t!
" By having a larger and more efficient facility, Battalion Chief Curt Klafta says that they should be able to react quicker."    HUH??