Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boston getting KME ladders?
Just read that Boston has placed an order with KME for 3 new ladders. Can anyone confirm this?
I know where you read it and if you read it there, its 99.999999999% accurate. I have heard thru SEVERAL reliable sources that a disagreement was had which made the switch A LOT easier to make. When and what it was about, I dont know. But this has been something thats been rumored for a year or more and became a STRONG possibility a few months ago and now seemingly has come to fruition.
<p class="bbc_center">Kevin White

Fireground Photographer

www.KDWFirePhotos.com
Now let the uproar over how bad they suck begin..... you know its coming ....
How much of a height difference is there between the E\-One ladders and the possible KME ladders? Always thought KMEs looked tall, would this be an issue? Not trying to stir the pot, an honest question haha.
I would imagine that the ht issue would be the chief concern .. Knowing the issues that many Depts. Are having with newer apparatus and older stations it allways struck me odd that the manufacturers as a whole would move in a better direction with respect to to those issues. Then again, maybe they prefer to use it as a means to charge for customizing...
I was under the impression that the initial order was for 2, but it could be 3. Height is definately an issue. We had to have the channel put into the cab in order to lower the aerial to get the height below 11' (some of the bridges on Soldier's Field Road are lower than even that!). One of the issues was that the 2013 E\-One's are going to be 10" longer while the KME's are 10" shorter in length than our current ladders. That nearly 2' of difference is a big deal. Ladder 11 was scheduled to get a new E\-One a couple of years but it wouldn't fit into their quarters, I would wager Ladder 7 is having a similar issue.
FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
FR David A. Middleton E51, LODD, Box 5247, 05/28/07
FR Paul J. Cahill E30 & FR Warren J. Payne L25, LODD, Box 4-281, 08/29/07
FLT Kevin Kelley L26, LODD, 01/09/09
FLT Edward J. Walsh E33 & FR Michael Kennedy L15, LODD, Box 9-1579, 03/26/14.
no matter what anyone says, remember.. you pay for what you get.... have seen, spec'd and dealt with it for 30 years.. te he he...
We have two KME ladders and were spec'd to fit in low doors. Can't beat the aerial itself, sturdy as hell. The issue I would see in many sections of Boston would be the space needed for the outriggers. Both of ours measure 18 feet from th outside of one to the outside of the other. Not sure what their current Pierce rigs require.
I just read in the "KME Plant Tour" forum that the new KMEs are 11' 6". I hope they're not planning on trying to give Ladder 19 one.