Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orange County California
Quote:Orange County San Clemente 2007 Emergency One Cyclone II E60

Looks like a tree is about to lose a branch..lol
Quote:Orange County 1965 Crown E29

This rig has the appearance of an ex-LAFD rig.
OCFA is currently running a trial of using a couple of squad style vehicles as medic units (M31 and M57 I believe). The reason in the past for running the medic units in ambulances was in case a firefighter was injured on the fireground they would use an OCFA ambulance to transport. An analysis revealed this had occurred very few, if any times over the years.

More info at about 6:15 in this video.

http://vimeo.com/28675505

Orange County Mission Viejo 2007 Emergency One Cyclone II E9

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Orange County Mission Viejo 1999 KME Excel E131

Orange County Mission Viejo 2011 Sutphen T9

Orange County Mission Viejo 2003 Ford Pacific S24

Orange County Mission Viejo 2003 Ford Pacific M31

Orange County Mission Viejo 2003 Ford Pacific SW9

Orange County Mission Viejo 2010 Ford Leader M31

Orange County Lake Forest USAR4

Orange County Rancho Santa Margarita KME E45

Orange County Rancho Santa Margarita 2007 Emergency One Cyclone II E45

Orange County Rancho Santa Margarita 2009 Spartan Smeal E45

firephoto and JFong, thanks for the more detailed explanations.

Quite different from my neck of the woods.

Very few FDs run ALS fire units.  The ones that do only have to have one Paramedic on board and carry the same equipment that a squad/intercept type vehicle and ALS ambulance would carry.  The ALS ambulance has additional equipment requirements, but mainly related to being a transporting unit.  Most EMS is 3rd service, community non-profit, or FD based 911 wise.  Private EMS mostly does non-emergency transports and emergencies out of contracted care facilities.

The typical staffing for ALS ambulances is one paramedic and one EMT, but there are some places that staff with 2 medics.  Our paramedics also work off protocols that allow for most treatments without having to consult a physician first.  In fact, I rarely consult with a physician when I'm working my side job on the ambulance.  Unless you specifically need approval for an "advanced" procedure or medication (not many fall into that category), we just give a report to the receiving facility.  We also have the ability to do patient refusals and BLS downgrades under specific conditions without having to consult medical command.

Orange County Rancho Santa Margarita Chevrolet Tahoe BC

Quote:firephoto and JFong, thanks for the more detailed explanations.

Quite different from my neck of the woods.

Very few FDs run ALS fire units.  The ones that do only have to have one Paramedic on board and carry the same equipment that a squad/intercept type vehicle and ALS ambulance would carry.  The ALS ambulance has additional equipment requirements, but mainly related to being a transporting unit.  Most EMS is 3rd service, community non-profit, or FD based 911 wise.  Private EMS mostly does non-emergency transports and emergencies out of contracted care facilities.

The typical staffing for ALS ambulances is one paramedic and one EMT, but there are some places that staff with 2 medics.  Our paramedics also work off protocols that allow for most treatments without having to consult a physician first.  In fact, I rarely consult with a physician when I'm working my side job on the ambulance.  Unless you specifically need approval for an "advanced" procedure or medication (not many fall into that category), we just give a report to the receiving facility.  We also have the ability to do patient refusals and BLS downgrades under specific conditions without having to consult medical command.
to further complicate things, ocfa is now in a test program with engines 13 , 35 an 47 which are pau's  to  acess , treat  and transport a patient with the pau unit thus returning the als unit to service, if it is deemed by the pau unit that  a full als unit is not needed. most cities in orange county have been doing this for years, the calls are prioritized into alpha, bravo, Charlie, delta and echo responses. alpha and bravo are bls calls with a bls engine and ambo sent. Charlie, delta and echo are als calls with a bls or pau  engine and als engine sent along with an ambo
Orange County GMC

Orange County Ford

Orange County Chevrolet Tahoe at the Station Fire