Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
F.D.N.Y.
[quote name='anesti' timestamp='1353288172' post='503370']

Former Tower Ladder 7 in a very sad shape

[/quote]I was wondering why the junk yard is the "High Bidder" on FDNY rigs nowadays? You rarely see, (never see) anyone rehabbing these towers and ladders for a second life. Is it because of the federal grant money everyone seems to be getting to purchase new rigs? Scrapping these units seems like such a waste.

DanEvans
[quote name='anesti' timestamp='1353288172' post='503370']

Former Tower Ladder 7 in a very sad shape

[/quote]

Is this a 75' or 95'??? There use to be a guy who would buy up these and either rebuild them or take the chassis and make Tanker/Pumpers out of them. I think he went out of business but it sucks to them scraped

that started after 9/11 with the paranoia that a terrorist would get a rig and use it to gain access somewhere if it were still striped. funny, DCAS had no issue with selling garbage trucks to anyone who wanted one. I still cant see the logic there, after all you could pack a garbage truck with alot more than you could a fire truck, and where do you think all the garbage is picked from in midtown? in loading docks under the buildings... mass paranoia...

[quote name='Juice' timestamp='1353296388' post='503386']

I was just thinking the same thing, maybe we're both wrong? Also, with everything taken off... not the box on the roof.

Question of curiousity here, I understand painting over the logos, probably just as easy as peeling them off, but why take the time to go all the way down the truck over the stripes when it's de-commisioned? You can tell it's an FDNY rig, stripes or not, and if someone wants to restore the truck and put the stripes back on they will. More work for a truck that's going to the wayside.

Trav!

[/quote]
[quote name='grumpyFF' timestamp='1353273095' post='503341']

EX-Ladder 30

SL9401

1994 Seagrave 100'

currently at Brookfield Auto Wrecker waiting to be cut up

[/quote]

Did this rig even go to auction, or does Brookfield have an inside connection? It was out at The Rock just a few weeks ago?
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
[quote name='Crossbronxxpress' timestamp='1353336875' post='503403']

Did this rig even go to auction, or does Brookfield have an inside connection? It was out at The Rock just a few weeks ago?

[/quote]I check the auction site about every 2 weeks and new saw it or the TL
[quote name='OPEN CAB MACK' timestamp='1353290386' post='503377']

The boom is worth saving.

[/quote]

Yeah, if thats a 75-footer then somebody could use it for a refurb/remount on a new rig and prevent another great Mack from going by the wayside.

I don't know what the issue is with Brookfield, but they just enjoy trashing rigs, it seems. Forget which rig it was, but I was told once that somebody tried to rescue one from the scrap heap....offered the cash equivalent of what it would be worth in scrap, and was turned down.
I think I remember awhile back the FDNY rescue trucks that were sold and were still driving around with the

FDNY markings. If I remember correctly FDNY had a cow over this so I guess they Fixed that Problem by taking all the markings off.
[quote name='AndyC3J' timestamp='1353345584' post='503414']

Yeah, if thats a 75-footer then somebody could use it for a refurb/remount on a new rig and prevent another great Mack from going by the wayside.

I don't know what the issue is with Brookfield, but they just enjoy trashing rigs, it seems. Forget which rig it was, but I was told once that somebody tried to rescue one from the scrap heap....offered the cash equivalent of what it would be worth in scrap, and was turned down.

[/quote]

I know I tried to purchase Pleasantville, NY old 1980 Hahn from Brookfield, no deal.

As fore the Rescue, I think that was re-stripped by its new owners.

Maybe it is not Ex-Ladder 30, although on the box behind the ladder (on the turntable) as stenciled "Truck 30", was "SL 9401" L-30?
[quote name='grumpyFF' timestamp='1353365938' post='503427']

I know I tried to purchase Pleasantville, NY old 1980 Hahn from Brookfield, no deal.

As fore the Rescue, I think that was re-stripped by its new owners.

Maybe it is not Ex-Ladder 30, although on the box behind the ladder (on the turntable) as stenciled "Truck 30", was "SL 9401" L-30?

[/quote]

We used this rig for probie school
[color="#FF0000"]R.I.P Sammy Oitice FDNY 4 Truck 9-11-01[/color]

[color="#0000FF"]R.I.P Kevin Apuzzio East Franklin FD 4-11-06[/color]

NEVER FORGET 343

[size="4"]FDNY Hockey[/size]
[quote name='SFD Probie' timestamp='1352928435' post='503091']

Goon, there are a number of departments in my area that love their Smeals but they're all suburban and use the heavy duty aerials. I've never worked off one so I can't and won't offer an opinion, sucks your job is having so many issues with the ladders. I was wondering if you knew what kind of maximum tip load yours has, also, they only have the rear set of jacks right? stay low and keep finding a way to work around the problems.

[/quote]

Our tip load is 250 which is the same as our seagraves and we have just the rear set of jacks

NEVER FORGET 343

[quote name='FDNYTRUCKS.com' timestamp='1353334872' post='503402']

that started after 9/11 with the paranoia that a terrorist would get a rig and use it to gain access somewhere if it were still striped. funny, DCAS had no issue with selling garbage trucks to anyone who wanted one. I still cant see the logic there, after all you could pack a garbage truck with alot more than you could a fire truck, and where do you think all the garbage is picked from in midtown? in loading docks under the buildings... mass paranoia...

[/quote]

Thanks Mike! That "makes sense" to me, not so much that the idea itself makes sense, but the explanation that you gave me, I can see where that would come from. As you said, what's not to keep someone from purchasing new stripes? Look at how many departments around the country run similar designs.

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Just saw Squad 61 in Manhattan over on 3rd Ave. Is it out of service - as it did not have any hose loaded in the hose bed, etc. I know its a Bronx company.
Either going to or coming from the shops

NEVER FORGET 343

[quote name='goon16' timestamp='1353467653' post='503543']

Either going to or coming from the shops

[/quote]

Thanks! It's a great looking rig.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTdmxKbx8m4&sns=em
The shops of the FDNY has more apparatus there on any day, than most fire departments have in it's entire fleet.
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
12-Truck's new 95' TL:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

173-Truck's Ferarra:

84-Truck's Ferrara: