Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Philadelphia, PA
More J Robrecht photos, (See post #18-25)

Auto Car US Fire Apparatus bodys
Robrecht photos

More Auto Car apparatus
Philadelphia E-41 Mack AC 1912 Robrect Photo
1941 WLF Eng-5
Robrecht Photos American LaFrance
Philadelphia Fort Mifflin ALF Foamite #G416 8680

Dick Adelman Photo
Duplicate. Unable to Delete
Another Maxim. Magirus Aerial I thought these were Macks, untill I seen this photo

Also from Jack Robrecht
I also will ad a photo of the 41 Reo Deluge Wagon.

I shot this at the Delaware Ave (and Spring Garden) muster.
RIP Jack Robrecht

I consider myself a lucky buff, who has been fortunate enough to have been able to enjoy conversations in Firemans Hall, as well as dinner conversations in various diners throughout the city, with persons such as Jack Robrecht, Robert Lewis, Bob Burns, Charlie Gindele.......I could sit for hours on end, and just listen to these legends of the Philadelphia "Buff Society" tell stories of old.....Many of the older buffs are now gone.......Hopefully others such as Pfdbuff, Dave B, Frank B, myself, and others will be able to pass on the stories and legends told to us.......

Ya gotta wonder if Jack and Doc Lewis are sitting around a card table right now, up in heaven, arguing back and forth about the names of the horses at Engine 3 or Truck F in 1898.......LOL
I feel sad to not have met him. I crossed paths with him 2 times, sort of.

1. I work at Atlantic Refinery in Philadelphia (Now Sunoco) where I was told Jack worked in the lab department

2. I moved into Lansdowne, (where Jack lived) and ran with Lansdowne fire company.

Jack took many local photos, some well back to the 1950's. It would be nice to find the nice origional photos that he took.

I would like to see his whole collection. if it still exist ant where.

Some of Jack's photos are at the Hersey museum, but noet all of them, and some are in poor condition.

Frank B
Frank,

I'll give you a little information on some of the most recent photos you posted.

Post #221 - Pipeline 2 1941 Autocar. The company was disbanded 2/1954 and the rig numbered "20" for some

reason. It was used as a spare rescue for a while. The photo of the rig with the tarps over the hose bed show it running as Rescue 3. It is parked in front of the firehouse at 50th & Baltimore. In 1955 the piece was converted to SS 99 - the Giant Deluge.

Post #223 - Pipeline 2 1921 Mack. This rig was donated to the department by the Reading Railroad to replace the rig destroyed by a train at American & Somerset sts.

Post #225 - one of four 1933 ALF engines purchased. They had 1000 gpm pumps and 100 gallon booster tanks. These were the first Philadelphia engines to be booster equipped.

Post #229 - That is a 1949 Reo. It was originally assigned to Pipeline 5. In 1966 the monitor was removed from the 1941 Autocar chassis and remounted on this chassis.

I was very fortunate to call Jack Robrecht a friend. We volunteered together at the museum in Philadelphia for a number of years. In the years before his death I was basically his apprentice. He was one good guy.
[quote name='1958 F.W.D.' post='75925' date='Feb 11 2007, 12:33 ']RIP Jack Robrecht

I consider myself a lucky buff, who has been fortunate enough to have been able to enjoy conversations in Firemans Hall, as well as dinner conversations in various diners throughout the city, with persons such as Jack Robrecht, Robert Lewis, Bob Burns, Charlie Gindele.......I could sit for hours on end, and just listen to these legends of the Philadelphia "Buff Society" tell stories of old.....Many of the older buffs are now gone.......Hopefully others such as Pfdbuff, Dave B, Frank B, myself, and others will be able to pass on the stories and legends told to us.......

Ya gotta wonder if Jack and Doc Lewis are sitting around a card table right now, up in heaven, arguing back and forth about the names of the horses at Engine 3 or Truck F in 1898.......LOL[/quote]

Never met Jack BUT have him on a Video that Channel 12 (WHYY) did on PFD back in the late 1980's Called "FIRE!" he was interviewed for giving the History of a few major fires as well as the history of the Dalmation. I thought it was a GREAT Show and wished they could do an updated one soon. PFD seams like a forgotten Department that has A LOT of History that should be told... A Philly Buff Tape like FDNY's "BROTHERS IN BATTLE" could be AWESOME....
Quote:GA_Dave any idea how many of those WLF AWT's were built?

Not yet, but I'm working on it! So far, I am aware of three built on the P-80 chassis and two commercial chassis rigs. Still looking.
Some buddies of mine are going to be in Philadelphia next week. Are there any recommended stations to stop by that are accomodating to visiting fire fighters? Philadelphia or nearby? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
[quote name='Ladder 68' post='77972' date='Feb 17 2007, 15:48 ']Some buddies of mine are going to be in Philadelphia next week. Are there any recommended stations to stop by that are accomodating to visiting fire fighters? Philadelphia or nearby? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Most Philly stations are great for visitors. Some get more then others. Sqt 8, Snk 2 (4th and Arch) is near Fireman's Hall. Pipeline 3 is next to the Mummer's Museum (Washington & 2 Street). Marine 1 is at teh foot of Washington & Delaware Ave. This might be hard to get to since it is also a Coast Guard Station. Engine 29, Medic 15, and Rescue 1 is at 4th and Girard. Sqt 43, Ladder 9, and Medic 7 at 21st and Market. Engine 11, Medic 21 at 6th and South Street.

Kind of bounced around some but these are all good stations that I use to visit often when I was buffing PFD. Most have Company shirts, patches and hats for the visitors also.

Have your friends pick up the ADC - Metro Philadelphia Map for $13.00. Good maps and has a blown up view of Center City. It shows ALL the current Stations in Philly and the surrounding areas. Good luck!

Have your friends get you some shots to post!!!
I overlooked the fact that I will be with them. LOL. I appreciate the info. What is Fireman's Hall? As for the ADC map idea, thanks.

We for sure don't want to be in the way, just want to check things out. And true "Squrt's" in our neck of the world are a rarity to say the least. We have some "Tele-Squrt's" but they are not the same.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
[quote name='Ladder 68' post='78040' date='Feb 17 2007, 18:26 ']I overlooked the fact that I will be with them. LOL. I appreciate the info. What is Fireman's Hall? As for the ADC map idea, thanks.

We for sure don't want to be in the way, just want to check things out. And true "Squrt's" in our neck of the world are a rarity to say the least. We have some "Tele-Squrt's" but they are not the same.[/quote]

Fireman's Hall is the Philly Fire Museum. It is the old Firehouse of Engine 8 located on 2nd Street between Race and Quarry. Close to the Ben Franklin Bridge

Link = [url="http://firemanshall.org/"]http://firemanshall.org/[/url]

Also in Chinatown, Pipeline 20, Ladder 23, Medic 1 at Hutchinson & Cherry Street. Fire Admin Building (HQ) is at 3rd and Spring Garden. Philly Fire Radio (Communications) was in the basement. I stopped there once and was able to get a lot of Information. I was there during the second day of the Meridian Bank fire back in 1991 and saw a lot of activity.
[quote name='Ladder 68' post='78040' date='Feb 17 2007, 18:26 ']I overlooked the fact that I will be with them. LOL. I appreciate the info. What is Fireman's Hall? As for the ADC map idea, thanks.

We for sure don't want to be in the way, just want to check things out. And true "Squrt's" in our neck of the world are a rarity to say the least. We have some "Tele-Squrt's" but they are not the same.[/quote]

One of the most important things to remember is Philadelphia is a big department. It's hard to say what house is friendly, etc. because you don't know who will be working and what mood they will be in. For the most part the members are pretty accomodating. If you're going to be chasing fires you will need a scanner capable of receiving 800 mhz digital. Philadelphia went to the new radio system a few years ago and turned off the old frequencies. There is no simulcast of dispatches on the old frequencies. Also, about two years ago the department issued regulation t-shirts and hats. Since the members are no longer allowed to wear shirts and hats with company logos a lot of stations don't have them anymore. You may find a few houses that have some but it's not like it used to be. One other thing to remember is Philadelphia is a very aggressive department when it comes to fighting fire. If you're going to see anything you almost have to be on top of it when it's dispatched. Good luck.
[quote name='pfdbuff' post='78068' date='Feb 17 2007, 19:31 ']One of the most important things to remember is Philadelphia is a big department. It's hard to say what house is friendly, etc. because you don't know who will be working and what mood they will be in. For the most part the members are pretty accomodating. If you're going to be chasing fires you will need a scanner capable of receiving 800 mhz digital. Philadelphia went to the new radio system a few years ago and turned off the old frequencies. There is no simulcast of dispatches on the old frequencies. Also, about two years ago the department issued regulation t-shirts and hats. Since the members are no longer allowed to wear shirts and hats with company logos a lot of stations don't have them anymore. You may find a few houses that have some but it's not like it used to be. One other thing to remember is Philadelphia is a very aggressive department when it comes to fighting fire. If you're going to see anything you almost have to be on top of it when it's dispatched. Good luck.[/quote]

For help scanning... If you have no other way (No 800 mhz) try 464.25 and 451.900. These are "buff" radios that announce Philly jobs. As Jack said... Philly gets lines "in service" FAST! Unless it is a big job or you are there as they pull up... plan on appartus photos or over haul shots.

Its been awhile since I really BUFFED the city so info for shirts was old. I have picked up a couple of the "standard" shirts... Not as classy but nice to have.