Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
This & That from Here & There
Quote:Don't forget Savannah, Coweta County, and Dalton. Also Rockdale and Fairburn will be taking delivery of their first Sutphens soon.

Several other departments will be receiving Sutphens this year too. We're working to make Georgia a Sutphen heavy state.
Rockdale?  As in County?  They already have five....

I didn't mention departments that only had a few, I only listed those that have majority fleets.  I would have mentioned Rockdale County (5), Oconee County (4), Dalton (4), Decatur(1, another on order), Bartow County (2), Cedartown (1), Macon - Bibb County (4), Lumpkin County (2), Forsyth County (5), Carrollton (5), Baldwin County (1), Savannah (5), and Coweta County (7), plus all the used Gwinnett County Sutphen pumpers now serving other FD's.  Hapeville is still running their '86 tower.

I heard a rumor that Gwinnett recently ordered a pumper from Sutphen, any truth to that?
Savannah has more than 5. Just took delivery in 2011 of a tower, 3 engines, and hazmat. They had at least 3 or 4 engines from an 05-06 order.
Quote:Savannah has more than 5. Just took delivery in 2011 of a tower, 3 engines, and hazmat. They had at least 3 or 4 engines from an 05-06 order.
Thanks, Shoop!  I really need to get back down there.
Quote:Rockdale?  As in County?  They already have five....

I didn't mention departments that only had a few, I only listed those that have majority fleets.  I would have mentioned Rockdale County (5), Oconee County (4), Dalton (4), Decatur(1, another on order), Bartow County (2), Cedartown (1), Macon - Bibb County (4), Lumpkin County (2), Forsyth County (5), Carrollton (5), Baldwin County (1), Savannah (5), and Coweta County (7), plus all the used Gwinnett County Sutphen pumpers now serving other FD's.  Hapeville is still running their '86 tower.

I heard a rumor that Gwinnett recently ordered a pumper from Sutphen, any truth to that?

Lumpkin only has one Sutphen (the 85' platform), Banks County got an older Sutphen platform late last year.

Gwinnett has one pumper that will be undergoing final inspection next week. There is an order for 4 additional pumpers this year, and 4 each additional year after that. GOOD RIDDANCE to a certain 3 letter manufacturer!!
Quote:Lumpkin only has one Sutphen (the 85' platform), Banks County got an older Sutphen platform late last year.

Gwinnett has one pumper that will be undergoing final inspection next week. There is an order for 4 additional pumpers this year, and 4 each additional year after that. GOOD RIDDANCE to a certain 3 letter manufacturer!!
[Image: Gwinnettpumperside.jpg][Image: Gwinnettengine1.jpeg] Pictures from Sutphen Corp
Quote:[Image: Gwinnettpumperside.jpg][Image: Gwinnettengine1.jpeg] Pictures from Sutphen Corp
This engine will be assigned as Engine 11 in Norcross off Jimmy Carter Blvd
That new E-11 is sweet! 

Lumpkin County's Sutphen Tower is x-Orlando, FL, HS-723.  They also have a Sutphen pumper, HS-3106.  Well, it's a Sutphen chassis anyway.  CFE built the body, just like the Forsyth County rigs.  I forgot Forsyth County's SP-70, plus the five pumpers.

It amazes me how many apparatus have been built on Sutphen chassis by other builders, including Ranger, Clay, Super Vac, Saulsbury, Precision, J.B. ResQ, Alexis, Classic Fire, Rescue Master, P.L. Custom (Rescue 1) and Hackney. 

I like the Vision SLR LED bars on the new Gwinnett engine - we're considering these on our new rig at the VFD.

I wish we saw more Sutphens in Virginia...

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
That Gwinnett rig is gorgeous. But I do love a Sutphen

Although it was a tad on the cool side, today was another day of clear blue skies.  I took a little ride to Alabama.  I had a few targets in mind, but my first stop was not planned.  The Wedowee (Wee-DOW-Wee) Fire Department recently moved into a new station and I was lucky enough to locate someone to move the rigs for me. 

Engine 9-1, Wedowee, AL

2012 E\-One Typhoon

1250/1000/20F

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Engine 9-2, Wedowee, AL

1987 Ford C-8000/Grumman

1000/1000

This is an old friend.  She served my FD from 1985-1992 as Engine 1, then until 1998 as Wagon 1.  I can account for many of the miles on this old girl!  She's been serving Wedowee ever since.

Engine 9-3, Wedowee, AL

1985 Ford L-9000/Pirsch

1500/580

#PQ-57

x-College Park, GA

This one is unique.  It serves the communities of Cragford and Corinth.  Cragford is the larger of the two, and there are no traffic lights or stop signs in Cragford.  Just a wide spot in the road. 

Engine 1, Cragford - Corinth FD, Cragford, AL

2004 GMC C-8500/Sutphen

1250/1000 (rearmount pump)

HS-3854

As I passed through Childersburg, this one was sitting outside, but I couldn't find a soul around.

Engine 10, Childersburg, AL

2005 Spartan/Crimson

1500/???

#04103-001

My last target was Wilsonville.  The town is split by the railroad tracks, so they have two stations.  I stopped at #1 first, but no one was there.  Went to #2, same story.  Went back to #1 to wait a bit and see if anyone showed.  Within two minutes, four of them showed, on their way to an MVC just out of town.  I waited.

Engine 161, Wilsonville, AL

2008 Sutphen Shield S1

1500/1000

HS-4340

Engine 163, Wilsonville, AL

1989 GMC 7000/Quality

1000/750

M-452

The Chief followed me back to Station 2 for my final shot of the day.

Engine 162, Wilsonville, AL

1999 International 4900/E-One

1500/1000

Here's a picture taken today during final (Chris Ambort photo)

After being sick for the past two weeks, I took advantage of a sunny day today and captured a few rigs.

Engine 14, DeKalb County, GA (Engines 7, 11, & 13 also got them)

2012 Spartan Gladiator/Toyne

1000/500/30AF

#B0354

Engine 9, Rockdale County, GA

2010 Sutphen Monarch

1500/500

HS-4860