Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd Alarm Lawrence, Kansas 2127 S. Harper, 02-15-13
First Alarm: Quint 2, Truck 5, Rescue 5, Chief 7, and Medic 2

Second Alarm: Engine 1, Medic 1

Special: FIU, Training 1, Training 2

Lawrence, Kansas Fire Department responded to a working apartment fire on Friday February 2nd, 2013. The fire was across the street diagonal from Fire House Two. 

FAO: All units standby for a structure fire.

Tone/FAO: Quint 2, Truck 5, Rescue 5, Chief 7, Medic 2 structure fire 2127 South Harper building B. 

Quint 2: Lawrence Dispatch Smoke showing second floor wood frame apartment building, stretching one 1.75 line. Quint 2 Harper Command.

Chief 7: Chief 7 harper command

Chief 7: Lawrence Dispatch move fire ground to Tac 3 and send second alarm.

FAO: Engine 1, Medic 1 second alarm 2127 South Harper building B.  

Quint 2: Fire contained to second floor apartment.

Fire Second Floor apartment upper left and Quint 2. 

[Image: IMG_8259-L.jpg]

Quint 2, Chief 7 

[Image: IMG_8263-L.jpg]

Quint 2 Engineer 

[Image: IMG_8257-L.jpg]

Quint 2 one of two 2009 Pierce Velocity CAFS 75ft Quints. 

[Image: IMG_8249-L.jpg]

Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
It does not seem Lawerence sends a very heavy assignment to its structure fires. 2 alarm fire with only 4 suppression pieces assuming Rescue 5 is a Heavy Rescue not an EMS unit. I am guessing Lawerence is a reasonable sized city. Isn't KU or K-State there? Does the university have a fire department.

BTW looks like the members did a fine job stopping the fire.
Quote:It does not seem Lawerence sends a very heavy assignment to its structure fires. 2 alarm fire with only 4 suppression pieces assuming Rescue 5 is a Heavy Rescue not an EMS unit. I am guessing Lawerence is a reasonable sized city. Isn't KU or K-State there? Does the university have a fire department.

BTW looks like the members did a fine job stopping the fire.

Hi Maxim 

Home of the University of Kansas Jayhawks and birth place of basketball. 

Lawrence is about thirty miles west of the Kansas City Metro and thirty miles east of Topeka. The western KC suburbs are growing toward Lawrence. They operate five fire houses, one ems station with six fire companies, six ambulances, and one shift commander. For many years they ran a traditional truck-engine concept. They adopted a hybrid quint-engine-truck concept in 1994. Absorbed the county ambulance in 1997. In 2009 adopted a hybrid quint-engine-rescue concept. The running cards are very light on apparatus. They normally have fourteen firemen and one chief on a first alarm. If second alarm companies go to work they automatically call mutual aide from Lenexa and Olathe, Kansas for one truck and two engines-quints. They are the two farthest west fully career fire departments. Here are some examples of the old running card and then 2009 to current running card. 

Prior to 2009 (City wide one engine, four quints, one dry truck): First Alarm: one engine, one quint, one ladder, one chief, and one medic. Occasionally you would get two quints instead of the engine. Ladder 5 carried ISO ground ladders, 100ft aerial, lots of truck tools. Quint or Engine would lay-in and or pump and Ladder would take the front or bring ground ladders and search. 

2009-present (City wide two engines, two 75ft quints, one 95ft tower-quint, one dry rescue): First Alarm: one engine, one quint or two engines, or two quints, one dry rescue, one chief, one medic. Occasionally now you might not have an aerial ladder at the fire. The tower-quint truck 5 does not run city wide and does not carry the ISO complement of ground ladders since it is a quint. The tower-quint often pumps or lays-in for the first due if on the run card. leaving it out of position at most fires. The rescue carries no ground ladders or wide array of truck tools. It is a mix of heavy rescue equipment, confined space, rope rescue, breathing air, and some saws.

The 2002 HME/ Smeal dry 100ft Ladder 5 is moth balled at Fire House Two as special call and will be replaced this year. The Rescue or Tower-Quint most often use a reserve 75ft quint as their spare or the reserve engine. 

Stay Safe,

Rick 

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
Rick

Thank you---great run down and re-cap

Rick:

Photos and run-down were most interesting indeed. Did you happen to see the photo below on MSN's website this morning? Lots of snow in Lawrence (& elsewhere, for that matter).

-Jeff

A good friend of mine is a Lt with Lawrence...they have some great folks and do a lot of awesome work.  Very enthusiastic firefighters who have a passion for the job.

Quote:Rick:

Photos and run-down were most interesting indeed. Did you happen to see the photo below on MSN's website this morning? Lots of snow in Lawrence (& elsewhere, for that matter).

-Jeff

[Image: attachicon.gif]Lawrence, KS FD.jpg
Jeff we were in the middle of it also hahaha. I was on duty and we had twelve inches here at the fire house. It made getting around a challenge, however my 2011 Pierce Velocity did a fine job.  I arrived at the fire house for shift change at 0620 it was just starting to snow, within thirty min we had an inch and by noon a foot. It was amazing, we have not had that powerful of a storm in at least three years in the metro. We still had multiple cars stranded on the interstate yesterday afternoon. KHP could not tow them fast enough. It was quite a mess here in the metro for the last two days. Many of the roads and interstates as of today are still reduced by one lane due to the snow pack. They say we will get another 5-10 inches starting Monday afternoon.

Stay Safe,

Rick

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
Quote:A good friend of mine is a Lt with Lawrence...they have some great folks and do a lot of awesome work.  Very enthusiastic firefighters who have a passion for the job.

Agreed your Lt. friend is my Lt. friend too. Great firemen in Lawrence. I have always been a fan of the LFD they had a really neat fleet over they years and some great guys. It has been interesting to watch the evolutionary change in the department as they have switched concepts over the years and adsorbed the county based ambulance service. It is challenging to be a city of their size with the population and university and be able to provide adequate response for large fires and additional city wide responses and full service ALS transport. They are just far enough outside the metro loop it takes 20-30min for the mutual aide companies to make it in the city. They do a great job.  I have to admit I was never a fan of Lawrence/ American LaFrance green though, it was nice to see the current Fire Chief return to RED. They has three beautiful sold Dark RED 1967 Seagrave Engines, one 1972 1000 series ALF 100ft Ladder Chief, the current 1955 ALF 700 series parade engine in the late 1980's still on the roster, great machines.

Stay Safe,

Rick  

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
It makes me sad seeing that beautiful Pierce ladder with duallys acting as just a little engine. Nice shots.