Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous
Chuckatuck VFD   Engine 29

Trey White
Quote:York County, Virginia Truck 1 - 1948 Seagrave 65'.

Photographed in 1975

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
WOW I just posted in the "photos wanted" section concerning this rig.   This is my companies old rig.  are you sure about the 1948 year.  We had always thought it to be a 47.  heres some pics of it when in service in Elmont.  Color slides circa early 50's from J.Mildner, a 60 year member from my company.  

Please PM me Id like to get a copy of this pic for a book project I am working on, also any info on this rig and its second life.  The rig is now in storage upstate Orange county NY.

[Image: t2seagrave2.jpg]

[Image: t2seagrave1.jpg]
Here is one of Alexandria's new Spartan/Custom Fire pumpers.

Amelia County's new Rescue-1

Nice shots, John.

The Amelia rig is a 2012 Spartan MetroStar/Rescue-1.

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Looks like Richmond is getting another new engine. There's a pic of it on the Pierce Flickr page.
People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?

Quote:Looks like Richmond is getting another new engine. There's a pic of it on the Pierce Flickr page.

It will be assigned to Engine-21.
To anyone out there who is on Facebook, please consider supporting this page, which is dedicated to a friend's 4 year old son named Hunter (Roanoke, VA), who was recently diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy, and dreams of being a Fireman one day. Individuals and Departments from all around the Country have pulled together in support of him and making him part of our unique "family". Hunter's father and myself admin the page, and the outpouring of support he has received from places like Fairfax County, Arlington County and the City of Alexandria's FD has been nothing short of AMAZING. During a 3 day tour from Roanoke to NOVA the events scheduled in support of this wonderful child still bring tears to my eyes, along with his father's. But the reach has been so far beyond Virginia…. which blows all our minds. He, his father and sister are truly wonderful people (Hunter's mother passed away suddenly a few years ago from an acute pulmonary embolism) and every inch of support strengthens him. Thanks for reading, gents. 

https://www.facebook.com/TEAMHUNTER2008

Video:

http://youtu.be/SS1XhjddIzU

Be well and stay safe to all,

Nate

Quote:Looks like Richmond is getting another new engine. There's a pic of it on the Pierce Flickr page.

That is correct and probably the end of the TQC as well. One engine [E11] was bought and tested last year and this one just came in a week or two ago, is being readied for service.  More engines will be ordered this year and realignment will begin later.

Here is a photo of the new Engine, not yet numbered.

Photographter unknown.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
TQC- The Quint Concept?

and

E21 2013 Arrow XT 1500/500/40 like E11?

Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Quote:TQC- The Quint Concept?

and

Total Quint Concept.
Quote:TQC- The Quint Concept?

and

That is correct Tim, on both accounts.  Now sure if the new one is a 2012 or 2013.
John Hinant

It is interesting to see Richmond move away from the TQC. Was the decision to do so based on the call volume/types (i.e. medicals etc)?

People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
Quote:That is correct and probably the end of the TQC as well. One engine [E11] was bought and tested last year and this one just came in a week or two ago, is being readied for service.  More engines will be ordered this year and realignment will begin later.

Photographter unknown.
Wow, will tillers return? How do you think the realignment will occur, will they assume the old company numbers? Thanks in advance Rick
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
I doubt that you'll see tillers anytime soon. Some existing quints will be run as trucks, and no one I've talked to on the RFD apparatus committee has indicated that a return to separate truck company designations would be part of the realignment.

RFD apparatus assignments and movements are going to be very fluid for the next few months. There are already some pretty firm rumors, but I won't post any of them until they start occurring.
Taylor Goodman
Quote:It is interesting to see Richmond move away from the TQC. Was the decision to do so based on the call volume/types (i.e. medicals etc)?

Amongst other reasons, some very heavy rigs running multiple non-fire calls a day of some very harsh roads causing long OOS times and hefty repair bills. John can probably provide you with a bit more of an insiders view on things.
Taylor Goodman
Quote:Amongst other reasons, some very heavy rigs running multiple non-fire calls a day of some very harsh roads causing long OOS times and hefty repair bills. John can probably provide you with a bit more of an insiders view on things.

What Roto-Ray has said and the original Quints, Heavy Rescues and First Response Vehicles, were purchased with a total replacement at

10years. The Chief at that time left and went elsewhere and the powers that came afterwards, plus fleet and city hall, turned a deaf ear on apparatus replacement. Some of the original rigs had upwards of 150,000 to over 200,000 miles on them. They were worn out and the cost to repair soared. Four 105's, two 75's Quints, two Heavy Rescues were bought from one contract. A pumper was ordered and placed into service in early 2012 as a test to see how returning back to some traditional system would work. This has work very well. This new ride, picture shown above, will go into service soon.

The FD and city had a consultant survey the city and department and that form has made recommendations. At this time, if the FD uses the 4 - 105's and 2 - 75's they could have 6 trucks companies. There is a lot of stuff lying on the table to discuss and to be worked out. By no means is this or anything set form in stone.

Hopefully if fleet and city hall can find the funds more full size pumpers will be ordered this year.  Two of the 6 Seagrave pumpers have ended their

watch.  

John Hinant

Quote:Amongst other reasons, some very heavy rigs running multiple non-fire calls a day of some very harsh roads causing long OOS times and hefty repair bills. John can probably provide you with a bit more of an insiders view on things.

Those are the same or similar issues we have dealt with here in the State of Kansas & Missouri, Kansas City Metro, and Kansas City, Missouri Fire Department. We have seen a large return to the Truck-Engine concept. Some of the departments that have returned to the traditional Truck-Engine concept still maintain pump/ tank on the Trucks. However the Trucks don't function in a Quint Concept Mode. Thanks for sharing. Stay Safe, Rick
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
Quote:That is correct and probably the end of the TQC as well. One engine [E11] was bought and tested last year and this one just came in a week or two ago, is being readied for service.  More engines will be ordered this year and realignment will begin later.

Photographter unknown.
These are good looking rigs for sure!
Paul Edwards

Contributor - Fire & EMS Virginia Magazine

Dispatcher - Virginia Fire Net (VFN102)

GORGEOUS Rig!

Photographter unknown.