Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pacific Northwest
Quote:That looks like quite a haul across the city.
It is a long haul. Sometimes they go through downtown via 1st avenue, other times they'll take the quicker route by shooting up Alaska Way along the waterfront but risking a stop at a railroad crossing.
Quote:Just curious - Was the engine actually removed, or just dedicated to pumping? I assume there will be a loss of some speed? That probably won't make much difference on Lake Union, if that's where she's going.

BTW - Love the before and after photos. I spent some time with Station 5 back in the early 90's when they had the Chief Seattle and the Alki there. I think the Duwamish was still a reserve boat then.
The center main engine was removed and two pumping engines were installed in that space.   BTW, the old ALKI has been posted on EBAY.
Another new item at station 5 is a 23-26 foot "rescue" boat by SAFE.

Bob Lukas Photo

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:Another new item at station 5 is a 23-26 foot "rescue" boat by SAFE.
Very cool, along with the floating, drive-up-on dock too !
Remember, it's their Emergency, not yours !  Arrive Alive !
Yup.  Just sink one end of the "Jet Dock", move the Cheif Seattle out of the way, and you're good to go.

Bob Lukas Photo

Quote:I just heard that it is assigned at station 27.   It was kind of strange to see it listed as going out with the first alarm units, rather than being special called afterwards.
I thought that was strange as well, unless it has a dedicated driver. Do you know if it's cross-staffed with E27 crew? Thanks.
Quote:I thought that was strange as well, unless it has a dedicated driver. Do you know if it's cross-staffed with E27 crew? Thanks.

At station 27, they told me Rehab1 is part of a 90 day pilot program which began on March

1st. Engine 27 and Rehab1 will respond on all first alarm fire calls in the

city with their usual crew of one officer and three firefighters. At the fire scene

they will stage with the Aid Car and Medic Unit, Fire Buffs, and Air9. They

carry snacks, soft drinks, chairs, fans, and portable lighting, along with some

decon gear and a more misc. items. The unit number is 956553, and has been

retroffited with a new box by Heiser.

Bob Lukas Photo

Is E27 a slow company? Seems like alot of uneeded road miles to be cancelled.

Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Quote:At station 27, they told me Rehab1 is part of a 90 day pilot program which began on March

1st. Engine 27 and Rehab1 will respond on all first alarm fire calls in the

city with their usual crew of one officer and three firefighters. At the fire scene

they will stage with the Aid Car and Medic Unit, Fire Buffs, and Air9. They

carry snacks, soft drinks, chairs, fans, and portable lighting, along with some

decon gear and a more misc. items. The unit number is 956553, and has been

retroffited with a new box by Heiser.

Bob Lukas Photo

Thank you for the detailed information! Much appreciated.
Quote:Is E27 a slow company? Seems like alot of uneeded road miles to be cancelled.

They're typically one of the slowest engines in the city.  See http://www.seattle.gov/fire/statistics/r...ls_Pg3.htm for details.  They've also been threatened with closure several times over the years during various city fiscal crises, so this could be a way of keeping their numbers up.
Water-Tender, Bandon FD / Oregon
1973 White Western Star / 1984 Western States, 1250/4000

Juergen Kiefer photo

Other side with different mural.

Juergen Kiefer photo

A view with the rear gate.

SFD Engine 2

2007 E\-One Cyclone II

E\-One SN#132997

Bob Lukas Photo

For the first time SFD has stepped up and placed an order for at least six new Pierce engines.  Correction: Five engines have been ordered.

The new Ladder 3 left the plant at Appleton last Friday and should be at the dealership in Oregon at this time.

Also a new Rescue truck has been ordered from Pierce to solve the problem of an inadequate spare unit.

The Chief Seattle underway with "Engine 5's rescue craft."

Bob Lukas Photo

Quote:The Chief Seattle underway with "Engine 5's rescue craft."

Nice pic! Looks like a good day to be on the water.
Quote:SFD Engine 2

2007 E-One Cyclone II

E-One SN#132997

For the first time SFD has stepped up and placed an order for at least six new Pierce engines.

The new Ladder 3 left the plant at Appleton last Friday and should be at the dealership in Oregon at this time.

Also a new Rescue truck has been ordered from Pierce to solve the problem of an inadequate spare unit.

What do you mean that SFD "stepped up" by placing an order with Pierce?
Quote:Nice pic! Looks like a good day to be on the water.
Thanks.  It was a rare day for this time of year, as "monsoon" season is starting to wind down a bit.

Quote:What do you mean that SFD "stepped up" by placing an order with Pierce?
At an open house over the weekend it was mentioned that Pierce would most likely never let a one of their engines leave the factory

with the kind of bumper as is pictured in post #1274. This was one of several individual opinions, liking the fact that SFD was

"stepping up" by probably having to pay a higher price per unit for quality and a better look. Just opinions, not looking to start an argument.

SFD has been very impressed with both the quality and service they have received from Pierce after purchasing

replacements for the Rescue, Hazmat, several TDA's and their Multi Casualty Incident Unit.

Other providers have served SFD well over the years, including ALF, E\-One, Spartan, and Kenworth.

Seattle's newest Peirce TDA, until Ladder 3's new rig arrives in town, somewhere around the first of April.

SFD Ladder 12  APP# 31499

2011 Pierce Arrow XT Job # 24609

Rainier Valley Sta.28

Delivered Nov 2011

Bob Lukas Photo