Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make Pumps 8 - Hard Days Night Hotel, Liverpool, UK (14/02/13)
Good photos, Andy!

tHANKs

tHANKs
Strong work as usual my friend!!!

Michael Dewan
Peabody Fire Engine 5 Division 1
"Pride Of The South Side"
In loving memory of Gerard P. "Jerry" Dewan, F.D.N.Y. L-3, 9/11/01
In loving memory of James M. "Jim" Rice, Peabody Fire Engine 5, 12/23/11
Cool stuff!

American Red Cross - DAT Captain
Member 4-2-4 - 5-11 Club of Chicago

Great photos Andy!!

I'm with everyone else, it's a lot of fun to see how our brothers in the UK do work.

In your initial post, you said the PDA for this was 2 pumps - that's about one-quarter of what most US departments would sent for a fire on the 5th floor of a commercial occupancy like this (for example, my department would send 5 engines and 3 ladder companies, plus staff officers, on the initial alarm).  How many total personnel were on the initial alarm?

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:Andy - great shots! How far is this scene from the Liverpool Cathedral? I assume the aerial platform is a Bronto...correct?

Thanks for sharing...

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

This firescene is around two miles from both of our Cathedrals - we actually have two, the Anglican and the Metropolitan. The Anglican is the fifth largest Cathedral in the world, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_Cathedral

Both Cathedrals are situated at the end of the same street - Hope Street in Liverpool.

Yes, the aerial is a 28metre Bronto Skylift dating from 1993 and is actually a reserve rig in the last few years of service.

Andy
Quote:I'm with everyone else, it's a lot of fun to see how our brothers in the UK do work.

In your initial post, you said the PDA for this was 2 pumps - that's about one-quarter of what most US departments would sent for a fire on the 5th floor of a commercial occupancy like this (for example, my department would send 5 engines and 3 ladder companies, plus staff officers, on the initial alarm).  How many total personnel were on the initial alarm?

Hi Taylor,

The two pump PDA is pretty standard across the UK to most fire responses, although in certain brigades (departments) it can vary slightly - for example the London Fire Brigade will roll with three pumps and an aerial to any call of fire within the commercial area of London.

Two pumps would bring around 9 to 10 guys to the scene, its not much but in an effort to save money nowadays, most British departments will not send aerial apparatus or special units unless they are specifically requested by an incident commander. On occasions, say for example if they are getting numerous 999 (911) calls saying the building is fully involved, or if it involves the roof of a building, dispatch can make the decision to send an extra pump or add an aerial, but this hardly happens. It all comes down to saving money sadly.

Andy
Awesome pictures.

Thanks for sharing your pics.

In post #3, what are the two lines coming off the basket. By the size,I think air.But they appear connected to a discharge also.  TIA!!

Quote:In post #3, what are the two lines coming off the basket. By the size,I think air.But they appear connected to a discharge also.  TIA!!

They are hose-reels, or what you guys call booster reels. Basically, they 3/4" reels that can be attached to the basket and used instead of the more high powered master streams from the aerials. They use them to cut down on water damage mostly.
Echoing everyone else, I also enjoy seeing UK appliances and operations.

Jamie Joyce

IND048 [url="http://www.incidentpage.net"]www.incidentpage.net[/url]

My railroad site [url="http://jlj061.rrpicturearchives.net/"]http://jlj061.rrpicturearchives.net/[/url]
Great pics! Interesting to see how things get run on your side of the pond.

Great Shots!