Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mark Carr Photos
2006 Sterling tractor and 2006 Magnolia trailer with Caterpillar D6D dozer in Nassau County, FL.

Mark Carr photo

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Back in my own former neck of the woods, Loxahatchee Forestry Station in Palm Beach County, FL, is this 2005 Ford F450 with a 20HP pump and supposedly a 500 gallon water tank.  

Mark Carr photo

And last of the Florida Forestry critters is this 1999 International 4900 hauler with a Caterpillar D5C dozer in Nassau County.

Mark Carr photo

Moving a little farther to the south again, back to my old stomping grounds, is the Palm Beach State College Fire Academy.  They have several trucks that began their lives in other departments but also have two of these International/Pierce Contender rigs that are original to them.  One is a 2003 model but this one is a 2008 model with a 1250gpm pump and 800gwt.  Engine 4 carries Job #9841475.  

I thought the boat canopy was a unique addition to the rig.

Mark Carr photo

Originally hailing from the Lake Worth, FL Fire Department (before they became part of Palm Beach County Fire Rescue) is this rig now used by the Palm Beach State College.  It's a very little used 1985 Duplex/LTI 1500/300/100' platform.  It looks much better now than it ever did at Lake Worth.

Mark Carr photo

Also originating at Lake Worth Fire Dept. is this 2006 International 4300/MedTec rescue unit now used by Palm Beach County Fire Rescue's Training Division as Rescue 99.

Mark Carr photo

Another former Lake Worth rig is Engine 95, a 2004 Pierce Contender 1250/750 pumper, Job #15626.

Mark Carr photo

It seems that there might be some experimenting going on in the graphics department at Palm Beach County Fire Rescue.  I found this 2012? Chevy Tahoe in the parking lot at headquarters sporting this different scheme.

Mark Carr photo

Also in Palm Beach County's experimental stage are a handful of these new 2012 Ford F550 CAFS/300/10F brush rigs.  What would have been called Brush 28 is now designated Brush 628 in reference to the Forestry Type VI rig that it is.  This lets those on scene know that they're not getting one of the full-size brush trucks that the department used to operate exclusively.  So far, other than the air conditioning, I've heard nothing good about them from the crews.

Mark Carr photo

And here's Station 25's new brush rig.  I think the others went to Station 15 in Juno and Station 16 in Abacoa.

Mark Carr photo

And again from the experimental heads at Palm Beach County is this re-chassis of an old brush rig.  The body came from a 1993 Southern Coach that was mounted on an International chassis.  Now it's mounted on a 2012 International.  It has a 500gpm pump and a 750gwt.  Like the smaller Fords, the only thing I've heard good about these rigs is that they're air conditioned.  This one lost its transmission in a recent brush fire.  Besides that, they're UGLY!

Mark Carr photo

Palm Beach County continues its apparatus replacement plan with this 2012 Sutphen pumper at Special Operations Station 19 in the  north end of the county.  This one is different than most County engines in that it has a 1000 gallon tank instead of a 750 gallon tank.  It has the typical 1250gpm pump.  Engine 19 bears Job #HS-5132.

Mark Carr photo

Mark,  Love the forestry rigs.  I might be in the minority but keep them coming!

Just a couple corrections:

Post 987 is a Cyclone II, not a Typhoon.

Post 1007 is a Contender, not a Saber.

Nice stuff, I wish I had been there too.

Great stuff Mark! Thanks for posting.

Thanks Dave, I can see the Contender plate on the PBCFR rig now.  Wink

My most desired target at Palm Beach County Fire Rescue was this 1989 Young Crusader II.  I drove this truck many times while I worked there.  Being that my dad was a breast cancer survivor, a PBCFR dispatcher and a driver/engineer both died from breast cancer, and another dispatcher has just found out that she has it, breast cancer awareness, especially in men, is important to me.  This engine, originally Engine 55, then Tactical 31, is a 1250/750 pumper.  The tank has been removed.

Photo by Mark Carr

Just before Jim Kus and I headed off on our quick trip to St. Maarten, we targeted another cancer awareness rig - this one in Miami-Dade County.  This rescue unit is a 1997 Freightliner/Medic-Master.

Mark Carr photo

While in Miami-Dade, all we had to do was target the two shops and we got all kinds of cool stuff.  Not in the best of positions, but different none-the-less is this spare 2001 Pierce Quantum 1250/2000 Tanker Job#11909.

Mark Carr photo

I've shot this thing in at least three different color/graphic schemes.  The first one was all white with a simple and generic Miami-Dade County graphic on the side.  Its current color and graphics are much better.  Tanker 13 is a 2001 Sterling/Bontke 4100 gallon  tanker, unknown pump size.

Mark Carr photo