Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FDIC 2013 - From the show floor
Quote:A number of poly-style bodies were on display, including this rig lettered for Fayetteville, constructed by the Kronenburg folks.

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-3-L.jpg]
Where are these built.  Never heard of this company before.
Stephen Taylor

Retired Volunteer Firefighter
Retired Career Fire Dispatcher
Yarmouth Fire Department
Yarmouth, N.S. Canada
Quote:Maybe I can get this Canadian rig right!

This KME Severe Service pumper will fight fires in Ottawa, Ontario.

1500/600/20A

3/16" aluminum body

Cummins ISX12 (400HP)

Allison 4000 transmission

KME GSO8811

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-7-M.jpg]

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-3-M.jpg]

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-4-M.jpg]
one of 12 on order, with another 13 pending, for a total of up to 25.
Thanks for the compliments fellas, I really appreciate it.

One thing I'm quickly learning about the Commander cabs: people either love 'em or hate 'em! It's neat to hear different folks reactions to the design.

When we were in Minnesota a couple of months ago, about 515+/- Commanders had been ordered since their introduction. 318+/- if those are slated for Saudi Arabia.

Anyway, enough with that. ;-)

The Kronenburg bodies are part of the Plastisol group out of New York. Alan Saulbury was associated with them at one time.

Any more questions, just ask...
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:I don't think I'd call it successful yet when they've only delivered a handful so far.

OK, more than 500 orders in less then a year is not successful ?
Quote:Thanks for the compliments fellas, I really appreciate it.

One thing I'm quickly learning about the Commander cabs: people either love 'em or hate 'em! It's neat to hear different folks reactions to the design.

When we were in Minnesota a couple of months ago, about 515+/- Commanders had been ordered since their introduction. 318+/- if those are slated for Saudi Arabia.

Anyway, enough with that. ;-)

The Kronenburg bodies are part of the Plastisol group out of New York. Alan Saulbury was associated with them at one time.

Any more questions, just ask...
I am kind of on the fence I don't hate them but I am not particularly fond of them either. I like the version with the single round headlight better better than the double squares sorry but to me that version has way too much chrome on the front. I agree with keiferfire I am not sure I would call 500+ orders the first year its out a failure. As far as ugly and I am sure I am going to get a lot of hate mail on this one but I think by far Sutphen cabs are the ugliest of all and always have been at least since I have been in the fire service some 32 years. I do like the new Impel and Velocity and the E\-One quest for the newer designs and while I like the cab itself the Quantum isn't very nice to the eye anyway, very functional and roomy but ugly.

Probably the best looking vehicle in my opinion was the Timberline Timberwolf's I love the color combination on them.

Roto-Ray, thanks for the photos.  You have more patience than I waiting for the crowds to move on.  I only took a few shots, most with people in them.  As far as the debate on how good looking a rig is, if I don't like the style, I don't take a photo of it.  My department provides me with several $500,000.00 vehicles to drive.  As long as they are well thought out operationally, I can live with the looks.  At one time (pre NFPA apparatus standards) I cared more about what the look of a fire truck was.  You could aways tell a Mack from an ALF from a Seagrave several blocks away.

Quote:OK, more than 500 orders in less then a year is not successful ?
I can sell 500 of anything. Delivering and satisfying the customer is a completely different story.
Quote:I am kind of on the fence I don't hate them but I am not particularly fond of them either. I like the version with the single round headlight better better than the double squares sorry but to me that version has way too much chrome on the front. I agree with keiferfire I am not sure I would call 500+ orders the first year its out a failure. As far as ugly and I am sure I am going to get a lot of hate mail on this one but I think by far Sutphen cabs are the ugliest of all and always have been at least since I have been in the fire service some 32 years. I do like the new Impel and Velocity and the E-one quest for the newer designs and while I like the cab itself the Quantum isn't very nice to the eye anyway, very functional and roomy but ugly.

Probably the best looking vehicle in my opinion was the Timberline Timberwolf's I love the color combination on them.
First...I never said that Rosie was a failure. Like I said...orders are completely different that satisfied customers after delivery. Rosie isn't doing too well in my area. They only have one EVT...and I have four departments that ordered Rosie's in the last 3 years that are completely excluding them from consideration due to lack of service. Service sells...not price.

As far as Sutphen...I hear many people say they hate the look of the cabs. They really haven't changed in decades. I've always loved the look of them...way before I sold them. BUT...that's why there is more than only one manufacturer.
Service is the key.  My old department has two Ferraras from 2006.  They look great, and work pretty good now, but they will never consider buying another one.   When they got them, the closest dealer at the time was over 60 miles away, and the service was horrible. Every time something went wrong, the it ended with the truck out of service for a month waiting on the dealer, who was impossible to deal with.  There is now another dealer who is closer, but the whole ordeal left a really bad taste in their mouths.

Quote:First...I never said that Rosie was a failure. Like I said...orders are completely different that satisfied customers after delivery. Rosie isn't doing too well in my area. They only have one EVT...and I have four departments that ordered Rosie's in the last 3 years that are completely excluding them from consideration due to lack of service. Service sells...not price.

As far as Sutphen...I hear many people say they hate the look of the cabs. They really haven't changed in decades. I've always loved the look of them...way before I sold them. BUT...that's why there is more than only one manufacturer.
I understand the service part not wanting to order if your getting any service but Rosie isn't the only manufacturer that has service problems in my area Ferrara is very lacking in service, we have all Pierce and our service has been great at times and at other times not so much I guess it just depends on where you are, realistic fact is Rosie like everyone else is in it to make money if there aren't alot of them in your area then chances are they won't want to pay for a service tech, were fairly lucky we have one in our area that can work on every kind and has but I understand alot of area's aren't like that. Point well taken.
Quote:A number of poly-style bodies were on display, including this rig lettered for Fayetteville, constructed by the Kronenburg folks.

Fayetteville, NY, a suburb of Syracuse.
John Kenealy

[url="http://www.cnyfiretrucks.com"]CNYFiretrucks.com: Over 5200 photos of apparatus from over 1000 New York State Departments![/url]

[Image: IMAG0400.jpg] New York
Quote:Over in the Pierce booth, I found my friend (and fellow Firepixer) T-Bone starting his interview with the Pierce folks about his gorgeous new Arrow XT walk-in heavy rescue for the Mechanicsville VFD in Mechanicsville, MD.

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-19-M.jpg]
T-Man you didn't get my best side!! It was good seeing you. We are leaving tomorrow to complete the final,finally! It's missing the Southern Maryland Convention this year, which is tomorrow but she will be ready next year!
Quote:T-Man you didn't get my best side!! It was good seeing you. We are leaving tomorrow to complete the final,finally! It's missing the Southern Maryland Convention this year, which is tomorrow but she will be ready next year!

I crawled all over your rig, I think I took more pictures of it than anything (besides the Sutphen booth, that's a given, however.) I loved all of the small details on the truck that you guys added; 2 Squad on the roof, the camera in the walk-through of the body, compartment space all over the rig, the Red interior, I mean you guys really have a nice rig coming your way!

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Do the customers get any sort of benefit or discount for showing their apparatus at these shows?

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Quote:Do the customers get any sort of benefit or discount for showing their apparatus at these shows?
I know some dealers/builders do "pay" FD's to show their trucks, as it often delays delivery. I've heard of some getting monetary discounts and others getting that in credit toward items above the spec. I know we'd discussed this with our two most recent apparatus purchases, but the timing was too far off to justify the delay. I suspect this could be a decent deal for FDIC or Firehouse Expo, the offers I'm familiar with were for he New England Chief's Show which is far smaller.
The floor was much abuzz about the surprise unveiling of the new Rosenbauer "Commandette."   Capitalizing on the success of the compact HME RAT pumper concept, Rosey has taken in a step further!   Word is that a number of big-city mayors were collecting information about this cost-saving measure that won't result in any additional civilian deaths or injuries.

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-2-L.jpg]

Taylor Goodman
That has to be the ugliest fire truck Ive ever seen.

Trey White
Here's the Buffalo tower ladder.

Buffalo Fire Department

City of Buffalo, NY

Truck 4

2012 American LaFrance Eagle

2000/?/93' MM TL

Cummins ISX-12 (500HP)

Formed stainless body

Taylor Goodman
I thought that the street docs would like this KW/Horton MICU.

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-4-L.jpg]

Taylor Goodman
Quote:The floor was much abuzz about the surprise unveiling of the new Rosenbauer "Commandette."   Capitalizing on the success of the compact HME RAT pumper concept, Rosey has taken in a step further!   Word is that a number of big-city mayors were collecting information about this cost-saving measure that won't result in any additional civilian deaths or injuries.

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-2-L.jpg]
Please tell me this thing is a joke! Stiff wind might blow it over.
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com