Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Denver Marijuana Fire 5-7-13
Just before 6 am Denver Engine 9 was dispatched to an outside smoke investigation at 3888 East 45th Avenue in a north Denver warehouse district.  Two minutes later a full group assignment was sent to 4430 North Garfield Street (just around the corner) for a reported structure fire.  T9 reported light smoke showing from a commercial strip, E9 laid in and advanced a line as did E10.  E3 laid to the Charlie side alley where T15 started to force entry.  The rear door was fortified with 1/2 welded steel and the front window had been bricked over.  Companies inside quickly knocked the main body of fire but additional fire was found in the cockloft and venting from the roof.  The incident was under control within 30 minutes with no extension to the exposures. 

First one walking up, looking down the alley.  E26 reversed laid a second supply from E3, just in case.

Looking at rigs lined up along Garfield Street, taken from the A/B corner of the commercial row

Side alpha - note the brick wall behind the front window.

Back on the Charlie side with Engine 3

Crew of The Rescue

The Charlie side had a garage door that was sealed off, the man door that replaced it had several layers of protection which made entry very difficult.

District Chief 4 (Afshar) in command, District Chief 6 (Garcia) assigned as Charlie Division

9's doing a little decon

Last one... Engine 26 working Engine 3's plug

Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
Great Photos!!  Was this an illegal growing operation, hence the bricked up windows and fortified doors?

Quote:Great Photos!!  Was this an illegal growing operation, hence the bricked up windows and fortified doors?

I'm actually not sure and none of the local media have reported one way or the other.  I know a lot of the legal grow operations in Denver are moving to clandestine locations to prevent robberies / burglaries though.
Always enjoy the Denver pics....thanks!
Great Stuff.

Thanks for sharing
Quote:I'm actually not sure and none of the local media have reported one way or the other.  I know a lot of the legal grow operations in Denver are moving to clandestine locations to prevent robberies / burglaries though.
 Also the operations that are legal under state law are probably moving to undercover locations taking no chances in getting raided by the feds because it's still not legal under US federal law.
Rich Dean, Butler, New Jersey, USA

Member of Kinney Hose Co. 1, Butler Fire Dept. since 1973, Fire Police Officer since 2000

Dispatcher at Butler Police Communications from March 1975 to July 2009

Secretary of North Jersey Volunteer Firemen's Association since 1980

Member of Tri-Boro First Aid Squad (volunteer ems) since 2000 as a driver

Member of many Yahoogroups, owner of some such as:

[post="0"]FirematicEvents Yahoogroup[/post]the place to for listing and discussion of any event by a public safety organization.

[post="0"]RailfanEvents Yahoogroup[/post]

[post="0"]Railpics Yahoogroup[/post]
lets just hope the crews didnt get hit with a "No Notice" the next day. Fireman

Quote:lets just hope the crews didnt get hit with a "No Notice" the next day. Fireman

After the last one I worked, everyone on scene filed exposure paperwork for work comp just incase we got a "wizz quiz" in the following days.