Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fountain, CO Wildland Fire 5/30/13
Thursday evening I was making the long drive from Denver to Durango and saw a smoke column a few miles west of I-25.  I exited the highway and drove toward it.  When I arrived Fountain & Security Firefighters were battling a 5-10 acre fire burning in light fuels with a slow rate of spread. 

Only two Type VI Engines were making a direct attack on the fire and after a wind speed increase things quickly got out of control.

The fire began a fast rate of spread and heavier fuel became involved, prompting a big mutual aid resource order.

Both flanks and the head of the fire were very active

A road grader was used to dig line and a Type VI Engine from Fort Carson Army Base supported it

Pretty decent flame length...

A wind shift just before sunset pushed the fire east and crews executed a backfire to head it off.

El Paso County Sheriff Wildland Type VI rolling in

The fire was contained at approximately 50 acres.  I later learned this was one of several recent fires in the area and so far the biggest.    

Last one, a little out of order but cool none the less...

A little video I took while on scene, the approaching Colorado Forest Service Tactical Tender is pretty sweet with the vintage Q Siren going...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoNCGyOTR...e=youtu.be

Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
nice stuff buddy!
Ken LaBelle

Capt Town of Lincoln Fire/Rescue 4
NRIFirePhotos.com
Nice pic of the fire and the truck to