Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
F.D.N.Y.
Quote:I think that the mural has special meaning that goes with Ladder 10.

To run it around with the mural as a spare or BOT truck would devalue it. Just like Ladder 27....all their custom logos such as "Cross Bronx Express" are being removed from their Seagrave because it doesn't belong on a spare, it belongs on Ladder 27.

The former Ladder 10 (w/ mural) really wasn't directly involved in 9/11, and don't just think because it has a mural on it qualifies it to go into a museum. There are many, many other pieces which do deserve musuem consideration (like the Floodlight Unit) and other units which reflect the evelution of the department to where it is today. That is, if the city even had a place to store them properly since the current museum wouldn't fit them. They need a bigger musuem.

And there are already 9/11 damaged trucks on display in Albany, and one kept somewhere for future purposes. Those say A LOT more then a mural on a modern ladder.
Wow Seth, just wow. I usually wouldn't feel the need to respond to a post, but I really have to disagree with you here. You should be appointed to the FDNY "strange decision making unit." True this truck had no direct involvement to 9/11, but the 10 House most certainly did, and it was one of the only rigs in the fleet (only other that comes to mind is Squad 61, but their eagle is more of a generic thing for all that happened to us on 9/11, Ladder 10 was specific for the flag raising in the rubble) that was a rolling billboard to help people remember the true heroism of FDNY members that terrible day (which unfortunately for the general public I think is starting to become a distant memory, so even more reason to leave it on the truck imho). It also honored the FDNY members who did the flag raising at ground zero and I saw it as a defacto recognition of the hard work and sacrifice done on "the pile". Like I said in my first post, if the names of the deceased members stay on it, why not leave the mural too? And comparing this flag mural with other company specific murals like Ladder 27 is comparing apples to oranges, that flag mural was donated by Seagrave employees to recognize all of the FDNY members on 9/11, the "Cross Bronx Express" were purchased by that house's members for company/house pride. Using your logic, the deceased members names should come off, as they only belong on Ladder 10. Also I'm sure there are plenty of museums with the space for this truck, doesn't have to just be the FDNY museum or the State Museum in Albany. I'm betting the Smithsonian would have been slightly interested. We can NEVER have enough vehicles on display to help us remember that terrible day!!!

Quote:We can NEVER have enough vehicles on display to help us remember that terrible day!!!
So, then, the Spirit Of Louisianna, Spirit of Oklahoma, and all other donated apparatus from various community orginizations nationwide should all be kept as well? And, BTW, Squad 61 was also donated by Seagrave. No one's donations should be forgotten.

I agree with some of your points, but the mural was and is for Ladder 10. I'd love to see it in a musuem, and I think the Smithsonian would have been an excellent place now that you mention it. But sadly it is too late now. And I don't know what condition the mural was in, and if they had to replace a door or something, would they have to repaint or re-decal the mural again?

I also agree with people forgetting about 9/11. But people forget about all the other sacrifices of FDNY, such as the Father's Day Fire a few weeks before 9/11, and Black Sunday. There is heroism riding on each and every piece of FDNY apparatus.

No need to appoint me to a special unit as it's only my opinion. I'm not the one who made the decision, and I don't know why the decision was made.
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Quote:So, then, the Spirit Of Louisianna, Spirit of Oklahoma, and all other donated apparatus from various community orginizations nationwide should all be kept as well? And, BTW, Squad 61 was also donated by Seagrave. No one's donations should be forgotten.

I agree with some of your points, but the mural was and is for Ladder 10. I'd love to see it in a musuem, and I think the Smithsonian would have been an excellent place now that you mention it. But sadly it is too late now. And I don't know what condition the mural was in, and if they had to replace a door or something, would they have to repaint or re-decal the mural again?

I also agree with people forgetting about 9/11. But people forget about all the other sacrifices of FDNY, such as the Father's Day Fire a few weeks before 9/11, and Black Sunday. There is heroism riding on each and every piece of FDNY apparatus.

No need to appoint me to a special unit as it's only my opinion. I'm not the one who made the decision, and I don't know why the decision was made.
And I agree with some of your points too, especially that there is heroism riding on every FDNY rig!  I know it's your opinion, just like I have mine, which is what makes this site and country so great, we can express them, have our differences and have a healthy discussion but still be friends at the end of the day! I don't know what shape the mural was in either, my guess after 11 years was not that great, but as a spare rig, does it really matter (especially when companies sometimes put their unit #s on in duct tape)? I don't think you can compare the donated "Spirit of__" units or others donated after 9/11 to Ladder 10 as none of them stayed in frontline service (Oklahoma was probably the longest as Rescue 6), and they certainly didn't look as nice or have as much significance as Ladder 10 does/did.  Like you said, it's basically a moot point now anyway. Are you back from Texas permanently now?
The spirit of Louisiana is now owned by the Louisiana state fire marshal, and although it returned to NY after superstorm sandy and served with a few departments as a loaner, it's back down in LA to be used as a reminder of 9/11.....
I wouldn't say it is a moot point at all, although none of us can do anything about it right now, it is the public's job to make sure a fire truck enthusiest purchases the rig after FDNY's use, and restores it back to delivery look! No matter what shape it's in, or what they've stripped off of it when it's done, it can be restored! Clearly the bean counters don't care, they've proved that by now with it's current state of appearance, so I'd feel safe in saying it's not going to a museum by their means when it's finally O.S.S. It all goes back to my original statement, shame on them for making that decision.

Furthermore, if someone would like to appoint me as a decision maker for FDNY, since Seth isn't taking it, I gladly will... just not the "strange decision making unit." There's been enough of that with mis-matched trucks lately! Tongue

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Any word on when the first FDNY KME is due to roll off the assembly line?

Quote:Any word on when the first FDNY KME is due to roll off the assembly line?
Production hasn't started yet.
Eli Gill - [url="http://10-75.Net"]10-75.Net[/url]
New FDNY Ladder 6 (Chinatown)

2013 Seagrave 100' Tiller

Seth Granville
FDNY Engine 314

Seth Granville
Quote:Any word on when the first FDNY KME is due to roll off the assembly line?
Production hasn't even started yet.
seriously ?

Is the Pierce (R1) still around/does anyone have any pictures of it running?

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Quote:Is the pierce (R1) still around/does anyone have any pictures of it running?
That rig is now a spare.  I believe there are a ton of youtube videos of that piece running calls.  I think there are quite a few pictures in other pages of this thread of that rig.
Running as a spare I mean. I heard it was in the spare pool just hadn't heard about it since.

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Quote:That rig is now a spare.  I believe there are a ton of youtube videos of that piece running calls.  I think there are quite a few pictures in other pages of this thread of that rig.
Its running as a spare right now as rescue 3

Seth Granville

Seth Granville
I was out in Clintonville on 8/22 and 8/23 for the final inspection of my department's new TDA.  While there, I took some photos of FDNY's new Squad 288, an Attacker HD model, shop #SP13002, the second of the group they have ordered.  Squad 270 was also finished, but I was not able to get any photos of it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

FDNY*EMS

2013 Ford F-450/Wheeled Coach

Seth Granville
FDNY Satellite 6

2005 Mack MR/Ferrara

Seth Granville