Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ward LaFrance Ultravision
guys... Anyone have an interior shot of the cab. It has been such a long time since I saw a Ward, I forget what it looks like. Thanks
[quote name='marco17' post='83839' date='Mar 6 2007, 16:56 ']This IS the actual truck. Remember the show was in the 70's and LA County made some minor modifications to it. Not to mention when this photo was shot station 51 DID NOT exist, it was Station 60 and had a Crown until they received an early KME. Also, not to mention that my father was VERY good friends through his work with the PIO at the time, and had access to many things the casual buff did not. If I am remembering correctly, I was about 5 or 6 at the time this was taken, and it was during "Fire Service Day" when LA County has many displays for the public.[/quote]

I can confirm that is the actual truck. The origional spec that was published before is not the true spec number. The corrected number which on company's file is 80-0811., which was finalized on 4/13/73 I negotiated the sale of the unit with Ray Stark of Mark 7 productions which was a Jack Web company The first unit 80-0591 was delivered on 1/31/72 and the last one on the first order (31) was 80-0622 was delivered on 12-30-71. the second order was 80-658 -80-675 (17) units, the third order was 80-1040-80-1047 (7) unitsand the fourth order 80-1273- 80-1283. In order to comply so the truck could participate in the TV show Emergency, a unit was selected at random from the assembly line and given to the production studio. It was carried in the company's inventory till it was later sold to Universal studios. Frmr President R Gergel
Credit to the photographers...

Here is are 2 shots of Engine 51 to compare the white numbers. I guess without a shot of the S/N plate... we will never know if the other rig is or not.... But as Marco17 said... IT IS A WARD...and an LA COUNTY one at that!

Anyone have a good shot of this rig at Yosmite as it is now as Engine 7???

Attached Files Image(s)

Here is the ex-"Emergency Engine 51" in service at Engine 733 with the Yosemite Park and Curry Company.

1973 WLF 1000/500, WLF # 80-811

Garry E.Kadzielawski photo

Crash 2 from the Houston Airport once was this long wheelbase 1972 WLF with 1000 gpm-pump, 2000 water/ 220 foam. WLF # 80-543

Shaun P.Ryan photo

The Melbourne Regional Airport/Florida had this 1976 WLF Statesman with 1250 gpm-pump, 2000 water, 200 Light Water

Mark A. Redman photo

Quote:The Melbourne Regional Airport/Florida had this 1976 WLF Statesman with 1250 gpm-pump, 2000 water, 200 Light Water

A couple hours after this pic was posted, I photographed the current Crash 2 at Melbourne! It's a 2001 Oshkosh Ti-1500 with a Snozzle. Look for upcoming pics in the Winter Thaw thread.
Portsmouth, NH once ran this 1980 Maxim F (ultravision) 1500/500 as E-1.

Photo by: Mike Allen

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

Firefighter - Plattsburgh International Airport, Plattsburgh, NY &

Morrisonville VFD, Morrisonville, NY

Retired USAFR Firefighter, Westover ARB, MA

Owner - 1962 Maxim F 85' ladder truck, ex. Callicoon & Albertson, NY

Remember: "Everyone Goes Home"
Cumberland Head Fire District, town of Plattsburgh, NY once ran this 1971 WLF 1250/1000 as E-181.

This photo was taken in 1991 at the end of it's service with CHFD. I was told it was sold to a Fire

Department in Vermont. Unknown if this piece was bought new or used by CHFD. Any one know for sure?

Photo by : Mike Allen

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

Newington, NH E-4, 1974 WLF 1000/750 prior to Refurb.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

Ooops! Sorry about the double post. Wanted to include the refurb photo also.

Newington, NH now E-1, 1974 WLF 1000/750 as it looked following a 1987

E.J. Murphy refurb.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

Plattsburgh (city), NY Tr-286, 1974 WLF 1500/300 100' Grove MSH ladder.

This photo was taken in Sept. 1980 by Walter Martin following refurb.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

This is Plattsburgh, NY Tr-286 as it looked at the end of its service awaiting disposition.

She suffered with cronic bouts of rust thru-out her career. She was replaced in 1992 with a

Grumman 102' RM. The last I heard the old Ward was sold to a dept. in Central or

South America in'92.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

Thanks for posting these great old Wards, Mike! By any chance do you have the Spec Number for the Cumberland Head rig? The Newington rig is 80-773 and the Plattsburg aerial is 80-997. I have no other listing under Plattsburg, so the Cumberland Head pumper may be second hand. The Spec Number would be a great help.
[quote name='GA_Dave' post='88262' date='Mar 18 2007, 19:04 ']Thanks for posting these great old Wards, Mike! By any chance do you have the Spec Number for the Cumberland Head rig? The Newington rig is 80-773 and the Plattsburg aerial is 80-997. I have no other listing under Plattsburg, so the Cumberland Head pumper may be second hand. The Spec Number would be a great help.[/quote]

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the additional info. Sorry, I don't have a spec number for the Cumberland Head rig. I was actually hoping you'd have something for me. I guess now I can finally say Cumberland Head didn't buy this piece new. I'll have to stop by their station and see if anyone can help.

I regards to the Newington Ward, I may have implied that Newington still runs with this piece. Unfortunately they do not. It was replaced around 1998. The last time I saw her she was for sale in a used car lot in Pottersville, NY in 2001. I should have bought her when I saw her! This is the truck I started my firefighting career on in 1982.
Mike

[quote name='fsw1970' post='66175' date='Jan 9 2007, 17:41 ']At Company 2 was this 1970 1500/500 as E-8726. Not sure when this one was replaced. Notice the forward facing jump seats. This was a feature(along w/ hose bed bench seats) that was big on LI due to the fact that they could regularly get more than enough manpower out. The small compartment under the jump seats is also an unusual feature.[/quote]

8726 was replaced in early 2000 with a 75' quint.
A few from Anne Arundel County, Maryland Photos by Hungrybus....

Attached Files Image(s)

A few more....

Attached Files Image(s)

Same Truck...Different Companies

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Image(s)