Rescue 4970.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Rescue 4970.

First-out medic rig 4980. 

Second-out medic rig 4981.

Medic 4981.  That is it for Saylor Township.

Nice photos but I miss the specs.

Juergen

Juergen, you bring up a good point, and one I've been thinking about.  I have not posted the specs on the rigs because I am still very much a newbie to fire apparatus.  What specs are listed, and in what order?  I'll be sure to ask for them.

I know rail locomotives and such very well, but if anyone has pointers for me in this regard I'd appreciate it.

Format varies but usually Year built make/Model of rig; pump capacity and tank size usually written for example as 1500/500 (which would be 1500 GPM/500 gallon tank); sometimes /20A will indicate a foam tank (type A or B  ). Ladder trucks or quints will have the size of the main ladder. 

If you have a digital camera, take a photo of the ID plate on the pump and or cab, It helps to keep down the writing
I did think to take one photo of the first State Fair rig I posted in post #983.  The photo should be readable, but if not, the left plate reads:

Capacity 1500 GPM

Type 0

No. 150

Motor 6VF073768

Serial 45098

Comments?

Continuing through the Des Moines area, I did take a short detour to Clive and visit their station on the west side of the metro.  Several crews were out when I was there but engine 320 did come back long enough to back the rig in before they were paged out again. 

Clive 320.  I posted several photos of Clive ladder 325 a few weeks ago.

Quote:I did think to take one photo of the first State Fair rig I posted in post #983.  The photo should be readable, but if not, the left plate reads:

Capacity 1500 GPM

Type 0

No. 150

Motor 6VF073768

Serial 45098

Comments?
That's a start!  Two important pieces of info on that tag:

1. Pump capacity, 1500 GPM. 

2. The number on the right side at the bottom: E-1-1848 - that is the E\-One production number.  Very useful in tracking apparatus that have had more than one home.

There are more tags, stickers, etc inside the drivers side of the cab that will give you the year of manufacture, which should be 1981, based on the production number.  You would also find info on the chassis manufacturer, in this case, it is a PemFab 932 Wedge.  The last item is tank capacity.  You are usually at the mercy of the Firefighter(s) that are present at the time.  Some of them don't know.  In time, you will learn to estimate the size by the body length and height of the hose bed.  This rig has a 750 gallon or smaller  tank, based on the wheelbase alone.  Standing behind the rig, for me (6' tall), if the hosebed floor is above eye level, it's a 750, if it's chin level 500, if lower, 300.  Good luck! 
Quote:Juergen, you bring up a good point, and one I've been thinking about.  I have not posted the specs on the rigs because I am still very much a newbie to fire apparatus.  What specs are listed, and in what order?  I'll be sure to ask for them.

I know rail locomotives and such very well, but if anyone has pointers for me in this regard I'd appreciate it.
OK,

-Year of construction

- Make of chassis

- Bodybuilder

- pump rate in gpm

- water and foam-tank size

- special features

In case of an aerial:

- Builder of aerial

- Length of ladder/boom

Hope that helps
Next up in the Des Moines area is Delaware Township Fire Department, which serves mostly rural areas northeast of the city, between Des Moines and Altoona. 

After a follow-up call to the Chief, I can provide specs for the rigs, as well.  Fireman

Attack truck 3320.

2010 Ford F550

300 gallon tank, 24 HP pump.

Delaware Twp 3320.

Engine 3330.

2006 Pierce Contender

1000 gallon tank, 1500 GPM

Delaware Twp 3330.