Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
This & That from Here & There
Are these actually classified as Guardians? Sutphen said at FDIC this year they're all classified as Monarchs now.

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Quote:Are these actually classified as Guardians? Sutphen said at FDIC this year they're all classified as Monarchs now.

Trav!
Both of them were marked "Guardian" on the data plates inside the cab.
Quote:Are these actually classified as Guardians? Sutphen said at FDIC this year they're all classified as Monarchs now.

Trav!
We only manufacture ONE cab...the Monarch. The Monarch, Shield, Guardian was an attempt during the recession to match other manufacturers that construct different cabs. I think it was a mistake, but that's my opinion.

All Sutphen cabs are constructed identical, no matter what chassis it is going on. The only difference in cab construction is engine tunnel size, length (56,62,73, or 90), raised or flat cab, front cab cutouts, manual or power window door panels. Unlike many other manufacturers, we truly only manufacture one cab and not several different ones of various quality. 

Now we classify as Program 1 (formerly Guardian), Program 2 (Formerly Shield), and Full custom. What you order determines what it will be. For instance, if you want an ISX 12 or 15, that automatically makes it a full custom. If you get an ISL 9, 56 or 62 cab and one of several "standard" bodies...it could be a P1 or P2. 

The best analogy is that you can go to Ford and buy an F-350 in XL, XLT, or Lariat trim. It's similar to that.
Truck 32, LaGrange, GA

2014 E\-One Cyclone II

1500/500/78'

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Truck 9, Fayetteville, GA

2015 Pierce Arrow XT

2000/500/25F/75'

Engine 93, Fayetteville, GA

2007 Pierce Enforcer

1500/600/25F

Truck 20, DeKalb County, GA

2015 Pierce Arrow XT

0/0/100' TDA

#28431-02

Brush 6, Clayton County, GA

2015 Ford F-350/Knapheide/GA Forestry

100/200 4x4

There has been a request for pics of apparatus from the Brindlee Mountain FD in Union Grove, AL.  The BMFD operates from three stations and from the Brindlee Mountain Fire Apparatus facility.  Several employees of BMFA are also members of BMFD, so they keep a rig at BMFA for quick responses during work hours.  Over the years, the "duty rig" has changed several times and I have managed to capture a few of them with my camera.  I will begin with the most recent one I have and work back in time.  I don't know the current status of any of these, nor do I have complete specs.

Engine 4, Brindlee Mountain FD, Union Grove, AL

1989 E\-One Hush

1500/???

Engine 4, Brindlee Mountain FD, Union Grove, AL

1990 E\-One Hush

1500/500/20AF/20BF

x-Roseville, CA

Engine 1, Brindlee Mountain FD, Union Grove, AL

1989 E\-One Hurricane

1500/750

x-Seminole County, FL

Engine 107, Brindlee Mountain FD, Union Grove, AL

1983 Duplex D-350/E-One

1250/1000

Brush 206, Brindlee Mountain FD, Union Grove, AL

1988 Ford F-450/Pierce

400/250 4x4

Dave,

This is ex. Claymont (New Castle County, PA)- I have it as 500 water. This is out of my area, so I am not 100% sure.

Bruce

Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
Quote:Engine 107, Brindlee Mountain FD, Union Grove, AL

1983 Duplex D-350/E-One

1250/1000

Appears to be an ex Fairfax County (VA) rig; several (Engines 21, 27 and 28) were rebuilt with 4 door cab enclosures.  Old Engine 21 became Engine 12 and was equipped with a retrofitted CAF system.

GA_Dave... Do you have any pics from Heard County... I understand they may have taken delivery of a couple used ladder trucks and preparing to place them in service... 1 of which is at the Centralhatchee sta.

Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Quote:GA_Dave... Do you have any pics from Heard County... I understand they may have taken delivery of a couple used ladder trucks and preparing to place them in service... 1 of which is at the Centralhatchee sta.
I have a few, but nothing recent.  As I recall, they have 8 stations.  The bulk of their fleet is E\-One, mostly commercials with a couple customs thrown in.  I had not heard about any aerials, but they are likely just ISO rigs.  Most of the stations are staffed by one FF.  If one is going to Centralhatchee, the other will probably go to Franklin.
I recently made a short trip to Texas.  Although I had known for several months about the 2016 SPAAMFAA Winter Convention being held in Houston, I had not planned on attending.  That meeting was also held there in 2005 and one activity included a display of industrial fire apparatus from the Channel Industries Mutual Aid Association.  That was a great opportunity that I really enjoyed in 2005, but there was no mention of a similar plan for 2016.  Until last Monday night.  Little time was available for planning and making arrangements and my budget was limited.  Within 24 hours, everything was set and I headed west Wednesday at 6 AM.  In addition to the industrial rigs, I stayed for the muster on Saturday and also photographed some local apparatus in the Houston area.

Engine 7, Baytown, TX

2013 Pierce Quantum

2000/750/20F

Haz Mat 7, Baytown, TX

2004 Pierce Lance 2000

Reserve Ladder 1, Baytown, TX

1993 Spartan/Smeal

1500/300/75'