Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pacific Northwest
Quote:This is a rare Mack B21, one of only 9 produced. It was one of six delivered to Seattle in 1958. The longer hood was required to cover the massive 324 horsepower Hall-Scott motor. The six Seattle B21's had Heiser bodywork and pumped 1500 GPM.

Dave;

Of the other three B-21's built by Mack we have only seen pictures of units assigned in Memphis, and Ogden.   Can you or maybe Mike provide some history of where the other three units where assigned.
Well Engine 2 keeps popping up in another nicely posed position.  Here it is two days ago at another 2-11 response, this time for a house fire at the old Fort Lawton site in Discovery Park.

Bob Lukas Photo

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/H...356965.php

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I was able to shoot a few more of the 2015 Arrow XT's, on the scene.

Bob Lukas Photo

Attached Files Image(s)

Here's Engine 20 working.

One of the short wheel base tillers on the scene, this one assigned to Ladder 4.

Bob Lukas Photo

The word is that many new rigs are being ordered.  Two new Enforcers have already been announced.  Four new tillers will be next, a new Haz-Mat truck and additional pumpers.  

A new AID CAR will be organized in the downtown core area because of the overwhelming increase in medical related runs.

Any idea which station is getting the new Aid Car? They probably need them at 2, 25, 17 (again), and 31 at this point. I had no idea how busy things have gotten downtown -- Station 10 had around 15,000 runs last year, and Station 2 isn't far behind.
Quote:Any idea which station is getting the new Aid Car? They probably need them at 2, 25, 17 (again), and 31 at this point. I had no idea how busy things have gotten downtown -- Station 10 had around 15,000 runs last year, and Station 2 isn't far behind.
I heard about this two weeks ago, and at that time SFD didn't decide where the new Aid Car would be deployed.   Two Aid Cars are responding out of Station 10 one of which was just organized in January 2015.  The homeless are spilling out of the downtown parks and are pitching tents along the sidewalks in the Pioneer Square area, especially around the Union Gospel Mission.  
Quote:One of the short wheel base tillers on the scene, this one assigned to Ladder 4.

Bob Lukas Photo

The word is that many new rigs are being ordered.  Two new Enforcers have already been announced.  Four new tillers will be next, a new Haz-Mat truck and additional pumpers.  

A new AID CAR will be organized in the downtown core area because of the overwhelming increase in medical related runs.
Short wheel based tiller?  

What are the "badges" affixed to the lower portion of the grill?
There's some differences between generations of Pierce TDAs in Seattle.  Wheelbase is one of them.  Here's the earlier generation...

Attached Files Image(s)

...and the later generation.  Both of these images are screen captures from line drawings that I saved from Pierce's website.

Quote: 

What are the "badges" affixed to the lower portion of the grill?

US Military Insignias

Thanks Bryce and Transverse Road.

The Battery Street Battle Wagon license plate frame is a great touch!

Engine 8 has now been assigned E28's former 2013 Pierce Arrow XT, a shorter wheelbase pumper, so now the drive thru is once again useable.  When E8's 2003 American LaFrance pumper was retired to the reserve fleet, they received a used 2006 E\-One Cyclone pumper as a replacement with a somewhat longer wheel base that could not negotiate the tight turning radius at the rear door and therefore had to be backed into the station. 

Bob Lukas Photo

Engine 8 shares quarters with Ladder 6

Bob Lukas Photo

Here's a shot Ladder 6 this morning after dropping off some air cylinders at station 20. 
SFD
completed their conversion over to Scott Air Packs last weekend after dropping
MSA

Bob Lukas Photo

Quote:Here's Engine 20 working.

Great photo. These are the type that I love to take. I always feel like I am intruding on the brothers when I knock on the door of the station to get photos.
Dave
Quote: 

Great photo. These are the type that I love to take. I always feel like I am intruding on the brothers when I knock on the door of the station to get photos.

Thanks.  I hear ya, but for another reason, up here during the winter months and sometime up until July 4th, the rigs are usually wet or getting wet.

Just across Lake Washington from Seattle, the Bellevue FD's Light Force 3 responding from quarters on freeway motor vehicle incident.

The Bellevue FD ordered two new 2014 Arrow XT pumpers from Pierce.  One was delivered safely while the other was driven off the road and wrecked.  This is the 2015 replacement unit delivered by Pierce in July 2015.

27472-01  a 2014 ARROW-XT wrecked during delivery, it was rebuilt and became a Pierce stock unit

27472-02  a 2014 ARROW-XT delivered and assigned to Engine 4

27472-03  a 2015 replacement rig built by Pierce and assigned to Engine 1

And the hose bed

Attached Files Image(s)