Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relics
[quote name='Andrew2340' post='178585' date='Jan 8 2008, 22:25 ']The other day, I finally achieved one of two lifelong goals I have. One is to shoot at least one Young Crusader, the other was to shoot at least one Maxim F model. Well, here's the F-model I shot! It's been mentioned on the boards many times, but after it went OOS back in the early 2000's it went MIA. I finally found the old gal parked on Sevierville HWY in Maryville, TN.

Gatlinburg, TN "X Ladder 1"

1971 Maxim FFC262L100

0/0/100' Maxim (the sticker on the aerial said 85')

S/N # 2864

Motor # F817G200573

Delivered: April 1971

X: Port Washington, NY "Ladder 1" (According to Bill F's database...I've also heard it's ex-Westerly, RI "Ladder 1" which is S/N # 2874)

Andrew Messer Photo (2008)

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=29705]

No doubt it probably met the same fate as many other Maxim 100' aerials that were later restricted to 85' for safety reasons.[/quote]
Our good friend unMARKedCARR posted this rig that we shot Friday in the Young Apparatus thread, however with a truck of this magnitude, it deserves at least one posting in here as well!!!

Clinton, MD (PG County) "X Engine 256" (later "Engine 255" per FAJ Nov-Dec. 2006 pg. 31)

1960 Ford F-600/Young

250/200 (later upfitted with 175PKP/200LW)

S/N # 60-07

Sold to Tylerton, MD in 1987

Donated to Culberson, NC in the early 2000's from Clinton VFD

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Visit My Photo Website! WNC Fire Pics

Proverbs 3:5-6

[quote name='Felixthecat' post='66731' date='Jan 11 2007, 21:01 ']More at sutphen[/quote]

thats the old at2 from port chester , n.y.
[quote name='Andrew2340' post='178608' date='Jan 9 2008, 01:11 ']Our good friend unMARKedCARR posted this rig that we shot Friday in the Young Apparatus thread, however with a truck of this magnitude, it deserves at least one posting in here as well!!!

Clinton, MD (PG County) "X Engine 256" (later "Engine 255" per FAJ Nov-Dec. 2006 pg. 31)

1960 Ford F-600/Young

250/200 (later upfitted with 175PKP/200LW)

S/N # 60-07

Sold to Tylerton, MD in 1987

Donated to Culberson, NC in the early 2000's from Clinton VFD

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=29706][/quote]

Well, they sure did a lot of good with that donation. They have only had it since the early 2000's and it looks that bad? What did it look like when they got it?
Sad, I hope the Chief from Clinton dosen't see that.
[

Gatlinburg, TN "X Ladder 1"

1971 Maxim FFC262L100

0/0/100' Maxim (the sticker on the aerial said 85')

S/N # 2864

Motor # F817G200573

Delivered: April 1971

X: Port Washington, NY "Ladder 1" (According to Bill F's database...I've also heard it's ex-Westerly, RI "Ladder 1" which is S/N # 2874)

Hi Andrew,

This is ex. Westerly, RI L-1. The "Q" placement and the scroll work on the nose is the definitive ID.

Did you physically read the info off the data plate? Because, I also show it as s/n 2874 in my data base. It wouldn't surprise me if my database info is wrong. The s/n on my Maxim (data plate) isn't what the Maxim records say it is supposed to be. I'll post a photo of both when I get a chance. Thanks for posting, I was wondering where it went following service in Gatlinburg. Thanks.
Mike

Firefighter - Plattsburgh International Airport, Plattsburgh, NY &

Morrisonville VFD, Morrisonville, NY

Retired USAFR Firefighter, Westover ARB, MA

Owner - 1962 Maxim F 85' ladder truck, ex. Callicoon & Albertson, NY

Remember: "Everyone Goes Home"
ResQguy and ShoreFire, I guess I shoulda elaborated on the details of the Clinton engine. The truck was donated to Culberson sometime in the early 2000's. I have no idea what kinda shape it was in when they recieved it from Clinton. Due to no bay space at their station, the chief kept this truck at his house. It was a very popular truck in the area and was often called upon to help pull school busses out of the ditch, due to the winch on its bumper. Several years ago, a member of the chief of Culberson VFD's family died back up in Maryland, where he's originaly from. He had to go up to Maryland and take care of his family there, and ended up spending three months there. He had a neighbor feeding his animals while he was gone. To keep them safe while he was gone, he parked the Clinton engine and two cars behind his house in a field, where they weren't readily visible from the road. During his stay in Maryland, some kids trespassed onto his property, found the three hidden vehicles in the field, and busted every window out of them, and broke anything on the vehicles that wasn't metal. When he came home, he found the vehicles with the broken windows and wasn't financially able to fix them all at the time, so they all just sat in the field for a while. Eventually he had the two cars hauled off, and kept the fire truck with hopes of fixing it back up one day. Culberson was without a tax base until 2007 and relied solely on donations and their members to operate. This was one of those stations where I'm sure people paid to fill the fire trucks out of their own pockets. Now that they finally have a tax base, they are building themselves a nice station to house their frontline trucks, and keeping the old station as a substation. The old Clinton truck will he kept inside the new station once its built, and they are hoping to get it fixed back up to its former glory. Culberson VFD is a good group of guys and I'm really glad to see them finally getting a tax base. After operating in a station with no electricity, no heat, and no running water for over a decade, I think they deserve a nice place! They are also expecting delivery of their first brand new fire truck sometime in 2008. It's going to be a large capacity Vacuum Tanker, which is something they can definitely use in their area because of how rural it is.

Mike, about the Gatlinburg Maxim aerial, it was indeed Serial # 2864, I checked and double checked it, and even took a picture of the serial # plate. (It was my first Maxim F, I was excited, haha) I'm not really sure whether the numbers have gotten switched up in the database we both have or what, but it was indeed S/N # 2864. So this is ex-Westerly, RI? I'll definitely make the change in my database. Thanks for clearing it up, and I'd love to see a pic of it in Westerly sometime!! If anyone is interested in seeing it, just send me a message and I'll point you to its current location.
Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Here's a picture of the Culberson, NC Fire Station on Murphy Hwy (Spur 60). As you can see, it's doors are locked with padlocks and 2x4's are propped up against them to keep them in an attempt to keep out the elements.

Andrew did an excellent job of explaining their financial flight and the reason for the condition of the truck. The only income this department received the first year of the fire tax (2007) was $50,000. The trucks they have are all second- or third-hand and pretty much worn out. The chief and the asst. chief have trucks in their own yards in various states of disrepair and are trying to fix them up on their own or with private donations. They currently have their best truck, albeit an old one, out being refurbished so that it will pass pump test.

Yep, the plight of this old beauty is indeed a sad one but, given the situation at Culberson, I give these guys a lot of credit for giving their blood and soul to privide for their community. I did send a copy of the truck picture to the addresses on the Clinton site but doubt that they'll ever see them - I haven't had a lot of luck with e-mail addresses from fire department web sites. This would be a great department for another more afluent department to embrace and help support.

So, in the words of one of my favorite news commentators, "And now, you know, the rest of the story. Paul Harvey, good day!"

Mark

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You mention that their rig is old, but don't mention what type it is.
Thanks for your input also Mark!! I know this is a little off-topic, but just some further info about Culberson's apparatus...

"Engine 1251": 1979 Ford C/E-One 1250/750 (ex-Southern Manatee, FL)

"Engine 1252": 1980 Pirsch 88B 1250/300 (ex-Branchville VFD "Engine 111" PG County, MD)

"Engine 1253": 1969 Mack CF685F 1250/500 (ex-Arnold VFD "Engine 172" AA County, MD)

"Tanker 1261": 1977 Chevrolet C-65/Atlas 500/1500 (ex-Stokes Rockingham VFD, NC "Tanker 637")

"Brush 1271": 1970's Chevrolet C-30/Local 250/250 (ex-NC Forest Service)

"Support 1272": 1985 Ford E-350/Wheeled Coach Support Unit/Air Unit (ex-Peachtree, NC "1571 ex-Valleytown Rural VFD of Andrews, NC "3072")

"New Engine, Not in Service Yet": 1977 ALF Century 1500/750 (ex-Somerdale, NJ "6511")

"New Engine, About to Sell This One To A New VFD Near Macon, GA": 1978 Ward LaFrance Patriot 1000/750 (ex-Winder, GA)

and of course, you've all seen the old Clinton truck that's hopefully to be in service sometime.

In their 3-bay station, they keep the Pirsch engine, the Ford C/E-One engine, and the Chevrolet/Atlas tanker. The Ambulance and the Brush truck are parked outside the station, and actually the brush truck appeared out of service the other day. The ALF Century engine is kept at the Asst. Chief's house. The WLF Patriot, the Mack CF and the Clinton truck are all at the Chief's house.
Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Fella's thanks for the story, I feel their pain and hope the best for them.
[quote name='Andrew2340' post='178881' date='Jan 10 2008, 12:06 ']Thanks for your input also Mark!! I know this is a little off-topic, but just some further info about Culberson's apparatus...

"Engine 1251": 1979 Ford C/E-One 1250/750 (ex-Southern Manatee, FL)

"Engine 1252": 1980 Pirsch 88B 1250/300 (ex-Branchville VFD "Engine 111" PG County, MD)

"Engine 1253": 1969 Mack CF685F 1250/500 (ex-Arnold VFD "Engine 172" AA County, MD)

"Tanker 1261": 1977 Chevrolet C-65/Atlas 500/1500 (ex-Stokes Rockingham VFD, NC "Tanker 637")

"Brush 1271": 1970's Chevrolet C-30/Local 250/250 (ex-NC Forest Service)

"Support 1272": 1985 Ford E-350/Wheeled Coach Support Unit/Air Unit (ex-Peachtree, NC "1571 ex-Valleytown Rural VFD of Andrews, NC "3072")

"New Engine, Not in Service Yet": 1977 ALF Century 1500/750 (ex-Somerdale, NJ "6511")

"New Engine, About to Sell This One To A New VFD Near Macon, GA": 1978 Ward LaFrance Patriot 1000/750 (ex-Winder, GA)

and of course, you've all seen the old Clinton truck that's hopefully to be in service sometime.

In their 3-bay station, they keep the Pirsch engine, the Ford C/E-One engine, and the Chevrolet/Atlas tanker. The Ambulance and the Brush truck are parked outside the station, and actually the brush truck appeared out of service the other day. The ALF Century engine is kept at the Asst. Chief's house. The WLF Patriot, the Mack CF and the Clinton truck are all at the Chief's house.[/quote]

Can you post pictures of the rigs ? Joel Bain
any reason why the stick is up ?
Mike, about the Gatlinburg Maxim aerial, it was indeed Serial # 2864, I checked and double checked it, and even took a picture of the serial # plate. (It was my first Maxim F, I was excited, haha) I'm not really sure whether the numbers have gotten switched up in the database we both have or what, but it was indeed S/N # 2864. So this is ex-Westerly, RI? I'll definitely make the change in my database. Thanks for clearing it up, and I'd love to see a pic of it in Westerly sometime!! If anyone is interested in seeing it, just send me a message and I'll point you to its current location.

[/quote]

Andrew, here's a pic of Westerly's L-1 as taken by Dick Adelman. Photo from my collection.

Thanks for clearing up the s/n issue. I'll change my data base.

The reason I was questioning the s/n is, 1) As I said it showed up as 2974 in my data base and this may have simply been a typo. But, 2) An interesting thing happened to me with my Maxim ladder. When I purchased it from the 2nd owner, Callicoon, NY FD in 2001, I contacted Middleboro Fire Apparatus in MA (They had most of the delivery records and other Maxim parts etc.) to get as much info on her as I could. I gave then the s/n as marked on the data plate (2314) that was riveted to seat pedestal. They told it it originally saw service in Levittown, NY. I doubted this, as the guys from Callicoon told me it had originally come from Albertson, NY. After compairing delivery photos of both trucks, my truck was in fact the Albertson ladder. Both trucks are 1962 Maxim F Ladders and were on the assembly line at the same time. Albertson's was a 85 footer while Levittown's was a 75 footer. Somewhere, somehow the data plate on my truck was switch with the one from Levittown. The mistake had to have occured at the factory during construction, thats all I can figure. When I recieved the build info for my truck from Middleboro, the s/n assigned to it (2317) was plasted all over the paper work but a different number appears on the data plate. Odd really odd.

Anyway thats for the photo and info on the Westerly rig.

Mike

Andrew, here's a color photo of the Westerly Ladder.

Photo from Westerly FD, My collection.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

And just for fun, here's Port Washington's Maxim ladder.

1971 Maxim F

Model FFC262L100

100' MSH S/N 2874?

Dick Adleman photo, my collection.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

Well Andrew, not to rub it in but I just shot another Crusader this past week, I am posting them in the Young thread.

To go with this thread, here are some finds in the Buffalo area of NY. First up is ex North Tonawanda's Ward LaFrance, I don't think they were the original owners, I can't find my ward listing. Here is the SO#37103

[color="#CC0000"]Young: The Cadillac Of Fire Apparatus.

Andy Pagano[/color]
Next up are two rigs that I no nothing about other than one is a Saulsbury and the other is a Ward, I was in a place that I shouldn't have been so I didn't spend any time there. These were in Orchard Park NY.

Andy Pagano[/color]
This one almost brings a tear to my eye. This is the former 1989 Duplex/Saulsbury from South Line in Cheektowaga NY where I once vollied. The engine was gliddered from E\-One, the front of the cab and the rearend is now in the new addition to the station as decoration pieces. I'm posting the new rig in a seperate thread.

Andy Pagano[/color]
Neat finds Andy! And NO FAIR about the Crusader!!!! At least I can say that I've finally located a Crusader that they are willing to let me shoot, I've just gotta drive to Sandy Springs, SC and shoot it!! The day I go down and shoot it, I'm considering having an ambulance on standby...I might just code on them as soon as I see the thing! Andy, do you know where the Sandy Springs, SC Young Crusader/Snorkel originally served? If I remember correctly, Dave said it was somewhere on Long Island.
Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823