Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous
Things still a bit slow with new Virginia photographs, however, I was able to get a photo of this unusual combination Hahn/FMC at Bristol, Virginia.

Bristol is at the southern edge of Virginia, and borders Bristol, Tennessee. The state line splits the two areas. Bristol, Virginia has three stations, and Bristol, Tennessee has four. Unfortunately, I was only able to get this photograph of Reserve 8 while in Bristol this week. My work had me going in other directions with some important timelines. I hope to get back and have time to visit Bristol's other stations. The Bristol, Virginia FD is getting a new Sutphen tower (that was scheduled to arrive the day I photographed this Hahn) and a Sutphen engine, scheduled to arrive in a couple of weeks.

Bristol, Virginia

Reserve 8

1984 Hahn/FMC Roughneck

1500/750

Hahn: HCC8842484

FMC: 9051

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I've spotted Utiltiy 1 from Alexandria around Fairfax Circle and occasionally in Vienna.

Love the old picture of Engine 76 from Falls Church! Though I'm a little biased.
[quote name='mnsand' post='181342' date='Jan 19 2008, 10:38 ']Dale City, Virginia in Prince William County once operated this 1960 International/American 500gpm from their Station 10.

photograph taken April 1969

Robert Kimball photograph/Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Recently learned that Dale City purchased this 1960 International/American from the Berwyn Heights, Maryland VFD in Prince George's County and that this was Dale City's first pumper.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Thanks again for the info Mike
As I mentioned in a previous post, I had the opportunity to acquire some older Virginia slides. I am finding some real interesting trucks that I would like to share. I would also appreciate any information on these if you have them because the slides do not have detailed information.

First up are a group from Manassas, Virginia.

Attack 1 is listed as a 1974 Ford F350 with a 350gpm pump. I can see a builder emblem just above the rear compartment, but I cannot make it out. Any other information on this truck?

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I have always loved this Seagrave from Manassas, and the department still owns it. It is now painted red and white and often shows up at the Apple Blossom Festival Firemen's parade in Winchester, Virginia.

This photo was taken in 1975.

Manassas, VA

Engine 1-1

1966 Seagrave 900KB

1000/500

s/n Q-2795

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I am hoping our Prince William County historians can add some insight to this truck.

Manassas, Virginia Rescue Squad had Light Truck 1, a 1956 Chevrolet Viking equipped with a 15,000 watt generator. I once photographed a light unit from Prince William County that had a Ford C cab, and was owned by the county. I was wondering if the back portion of this Manassas light truck was transferred to the county unit. Anyone know?

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Final one from Manassas is old Squad 1 from the Rescue Squad, a 1970 Ford. Not sure who made the box. This photograph was taken in 1970.

I want to make a clarification on all of these old slides - These photographs were taken by Robert Kimball unless otherwise noted and are from the Mike Sanders collection.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Harrisonburg, Virginia - Hose Company 4. In earlier posts on this thread, I showed you the current apparatus at Hose Company 4. Here is an old Seagrave from the same department.

Harrisonburg, VA

Hose Company 4

1942 Seagrave 81E

500gpm

s/n B545

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Another Harrisonburg truck, this one photographed in June of 1969.

Harrisonburg, VA

Salvage

1958 Ford

No other information

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
From the Harrisonburg Rescue Squad is this 1973 Ford C/Swab. The Ford C squad was later upgraded with a 1984 KenWorth Cab. Sorry about the front part of the cab being cut off.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Last from Harrisonburg is also from the Rescue Squad - a 1968 Ford. Unknown body builder. This photo was taken in June of 1969.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I have very little information on these next three trucks from the Mechanicsville, Virgina VFD in Hanover County.

This Engine 7-1 "Super Pumper" is a 1973 Ford C with a 1000 gpm. Photographed in 1978.

Any help is appreciated.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Also at Mechanicsville is Engine 7-2, a 1970 Ford C. No other information.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Last from Mechanicsville is Mini Pumper 7-3, a 1968 Ford F.

Additional information and corrections welcome from the Mechanicsville photos.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mark, you have done the Virginia fire departments a great service, preserving the history of the fire apparatus that served the state.

Your photos are always of good quality and historicaly accurate.

The FMC Hahn was one of 7 Hahn chassis delivered to FMC for use on there apparatus in 1984.

The Cab,(Chassis) HCC-88 delivered to Bristol VA 5-24-84
Hopefully Mike won't mind a few additions to his thread of some Virginia rigs I shot last week.