Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA

[quote name='mnsand' post='200783' date='Mar 28 2008, 19:19 ']Also at Tappahannock is a Seagrave ladder truck that I have always liked.

I need some information on where this Seagrave served prior to Tappahannock.

1974 Seagrave 100'

rehabed by Delmarva in 1998

100'

serial number SR-20768

ex- West Whiteland VFC, Exton, Pennsylvania?

I understand that Tappahannock purchased the Seagrave while at the yearly fire chief's show in Virginia Beach a number of years ago.

Any help is appreciated.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Hoping one of our folks with Seagrave serial numbers can confirm if this is ex- West Whiteland VFC in Exton, PA.

Thank you,

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike,

I have not been following this thread - you should have e-mailed me on your question about the Seagrave ladder - ex. West Whiteland.

Info as I have it:

1974 Seagrave Rear Admiral, canopy cab, 100 ft rear-mount steel ladder, 8V71 Detroit diesel, automatic, 6 KW Onan generator. It was ordered 1/74 for $80,301 and was paid for by the sale of the old property on Route 30. It was housed on 9/11/76. The compartments were refurbed by Wolfington Body of Eagle in early 1992. One of the hydraulic cylinders blew in 8/97 while it was up for sale, it was oos for a month waiting for the part. Once it went back into service, it failed ladder certification because the tips were bent. It became a insurance loss and the company was paid $27,000. The company then sold it to Delmarva Fire Equipment in 1/98 for $8,000 who was going to rehab it and sell it. Delmarva refurbed it then sold to the Tappahannock Essex VFD of Tappahannock, VA.

Bruce
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
[quote name='foghog333' post='201049' date='Mar 29 2008, 20:13 ']Mike: Truck 12 from Chesterfield carries Pierce serial number 10925. This unit replaced a unique open cab Peter Pirsch 100 foot rear mount ladder that was acquired in 1975.

Tom Shand

Hamburg, New York[/quote]

The old Chesterfield Truck 12 (Pirsch 110') has been acquired by a member of the ODHFS and is resting comfortably inside a storage building as work is done to spruce it up a bit. Tools and equipment are being acquired and mounted and there is the slight problem of getting the brakes fixed - which is more of a hassle than it sounds. It sits too high to load on a low boy to truck to the one shop that has agreed to work on it. The truck loaded on a low boy will be too high to fit under some overpasses along the route. With any luck it will be back on the road someday soon.

Here's a shot of it within the last two years shortly after it was purchased and moved back to Chesterfield after being out of the county for a time. Photo credit to Tom Herman.

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)