Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relics
[quote name='Truckman' post='204381' date='Apr 12 2008, 15:06 ']Mike, Is this the yard near to the old Oren plant? If so I have seen some jewels sitting there back when Oren was still cranking them out. I didn't know that it may still be there. A trip is forthcoming to pay a visit before they all get away. It a shame to see these great rigs sitting rusting away. That TDA looks very familer. It may be in the Tiller Thread.[/quote]

John,

I am not exactly sure where the Oren plant was. This place is located near the KME building and not far from one of the Singer shops.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='Andrew2340' post='12370' date='Jul 20 2006, 21:33 ']Can anyone tell me any more about this rig than I know? It's sitting on the bed of a tractor & trailer at a local rock business, but there is no sign of a former chassis in sight. It's an "Amertek" and has the number "DEH-616" in black letters on the back of the body. Hopefully somebody knows more about this truck than I do![/quote]

This is the rear (of course) of one of your Uncles mistakes (Uncle Sam), this Amertek or also called a Macey was built in Canada. the govt bought these to serve as a multi function vehicle. Crash, Structure, and brush. the vehicles had major problems and a lot of them were rebuilt by other companies. the macey was famous for running off while in pump gear. I have seen that with my own two eyes. I have also seen the jump seat windows broke out just by applying elbow pressure while donning an air pack. I am sorry to say I like seeing this rig where it is. They were deployed to alot of bases in the U.S. not sure if they ever went overseas. Another problem with the rigs were the air switches that worked everything, and when one went bad it affected several areas. Hope this helps some.

Step
[quote name='mnsand' post='204495' date='Apr 12 2008, 19:59 ']John,

I am not exactly sure where the Oren plant was. This place is located near the KME building and not far from one of the Singer shops.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

That is it Mike. Oren and then KME was located on Seibel, not far from, Singers shop.
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
The orginal Oren plant is in Vinton, and I couldnt tell ya if it even still stands to this day. Oren moved out to Siebel off 460 {Orange Ave.} before going Grumman and so on.
[quote name='ShoreFire' post='204761' date='Apr 13 2008, 15:46 ']The orginal Oren plant is in Vinton, and I couldnt tell ya if it even still stands to this day. Oren moved out to Siebel off 460 {Orange Ave.} before going Grumman and so on.[/quote]

I am not sure where the old plant was in Vinton.

The plant on Seibel where Oren was before Grumman came in and then KME was there as of last year. The building is there not sure who or what is operating out of it.

The wrecking yard that Mike was talking about in just down the street.
John Hinant

Orignally Serving Butterfield, IL

1965 Gmc/Darley

1250 85' Pitman Snorkel

Photographed in Wellington, IL Last week.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[quote name='Tim' post='204436' date='Apr 12 2008, 18:19 ']Any chance you can get a picture of the Mack CF? It belonged to dept up here where i live.

Thanks[/quote]

Tim,

See thread titled Culberson, NC Apparatus (Post #3) for a photo of Arnold's old CF Mack.
[quote name='The Commish' post='205010' date='Apr 14 2008, 15:16 ']Orignally Serving Butterfield, IL

1965 Gmc/Darley

1250 85' Pitman Snorkel

Photographed in Wellington, IL Last week.[/quote]

Is that a Pierce body

J
Quote:Is that a Pierce body

It is. Back in those days, Pierce was the subcontractor for bodies used on Snorkels. Also, they sold many bodies to Darley around that time. While there were several OEM's that produced apparatus with Snorkels (Young, Pirsch, Crown, General Safety, etc.) and their own bodywork, the bulk of the Snorkels produced had Pierce bodies.
This old mack has been Sitting at Jimmy diesel for some years, It's a shame they can do something with it?

Sadly, this is officially the last FMC/white & orange/1980's engine to see leaving Baltimore.

City of Baltimore, MD

ex FA 5, RE 71, E 51

1987 Spartan Monarch/FMC

1000/750

shop # 118

Attached Files Image(s)

a few more...

Attached Files Image(s)

One more... (the rear)

Attached Files Image(s)

ironically one of the last 74 Seagraves pumpers the city had was RE-76 which was old Engine 51. Kinda neat if you think. Its an end of an era
Found these two American LaFrance 900 Series today in Levittown PA, I could not get close enough to get and #s becasue they were in a privet yard. One is lettered for Modern Disposal Services and the other in lettered for Youngstown.

[Image: Picture008.jpg]

[Image: Picture009.jpg]
[quote name='Wagon Master' post='205994' date='Apr 17 2008, 12:11 ']Found these two American LaFrance 900 Series today in Levittown PA, I could not get close enough to get and #s becasue they were in a privet yard. One is lettered for Modern Disposal Services and the other in lettered for Youngstown.

[Image: Picture008.jpg]

[Image: Picture009.jpg][/quote]

Too bad someone would let these two end up like this. They sure need a good home.
John Hinant

Revere Ladder 2s former 1936 Seagrave. This truck was just brought back to the city and is going to be restored.

Doug Boudrow
Fire Photographer
Boston Citywide Fire Radio Car 231
<a class='bbc_url' href='http://dabimages.net'>dabimages.net</a>
Rear

Doug Boudrow
Fire Photographer
Boston Citywide Fire Radio Car 231
<a class='bbc_url' href='http://dabimages.net'>dabimages.net</a>
Somehow, my dad spotted this rig down in Travelers Rest, SC and notified me when he found it. Since I was passing through the area the other day, I decided to stop and investigate, and I found not one, but two relics side by side! Anybody got better pictures of either truck?

River Falls, SC "X Engine 6"

1971 Ford C/John Bean

750/750

S/N # 15-71

X: Piedmont Park, SC

Andrew Messer Photo (2008)

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Visit My Photo Website! WNC Fire Pics

Proverbs 3:5-6

Duncan Chapel, SC "X Tanker 3"