Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Philadelphia, PA
This is one hot Snorkel!! Truck 28 on Cottman Street.

I found this picture on Centralpafire.com and this was the explanation given:

"From what I gathered Snorkel 28 was at 56's house to pick up 2 costumed mascots who were going to ride the bucket right up the street to the national night out thing that just took place. As they were bringing the bucket to street level to load the mascots the knuckle on the boom contacted high voltage lines and became stuck to them."

[Image: 2489b563fe744c.jpg]

credit to Centralpafire.com and the unknown photographer
Can we say opps and apparently someone didn't check if they were clear overhead.
Jesse Shutt

Fisherville Volunteer Fire Company #1 (Dauphin Company 216)

Upper Dauphin County Emergency Medical Services (Dauphin Company 6)

Past President Dauphin County Volunteer Firemen's Association

Upper Dauphin County Fire Historian
So, did they make the event after putting out the fire? Ha ha. After all they have an inside tire to take up the weight of the one on fire.

Isn't that rig a re-mount?
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
Oh Damn!
So whats going to happen to that rig, from what I can see she just needs alittle TLC and she can be back up front.
[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
[quote name='willman940' post='236897' date='Aug 8 2008, 10:14 ']So whats going to happen to that rig, from what I can see she just needs alittle TLC and she can be back up front.[/quote]

I saw a picture of this rig on FDNYTRUCKS.COM and it says it a 1997 so it may just be scrapped.
[quote name='creofire' post='236898' date='Aug 8 2008, 10:19 ']I saw a picture of this rig on FDNYTRUCKS.COM and it says it a 1997 so it may just be scrapped.[/quote]

28'S IS TO RECIEVE A NEW KME TOWER IN THE FALL, THEY ARE JUST TRYING TO SPEED THINGS UP.
[quote name='Ladder 68' post='236875' date='Aug 8 2008, 11:20 ']So, did they make the event after putting out the fire? Ha ha. After all they have an inside tire to take up the weight of the one on fire.

Isn't that rig a re-mount?[/quote]

Correct. The boom is off the 1978 Oshkosh/Pierce, making it 30 years old. I would assume after this it will be scrapped.
Well chassis and some of the body are still good? tanker, SOC OPS rig, anyone?
[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
The boom is from a 1978 ALF snorkel that formerly served as Ladder 22. Preliminary reports are that the entire electrical system may be shot. The frame may also be bent from the heat of the fire. It wouldn't surprise me if they canabalize it for parts to keep Snorkel 2 running and dispose of the rest.
Well Ben Franklin used a Kite... He was part of the founding fathers of Fire Protection in Philly... Maybe 28's was trying to mark an special event???

Glad no one was hurt and we can find light in this... IT COULD HAVE BEEN REAL BAD!

Ladder Operaters take NOTE!!!
Hey PFD buff , check your records and see if you can find out what really happened to RL - 225 back in the day . Will ya ?
[quote name='rotoray' post='237063' date='Aug 9 2008, 09:03 ']Hey PFD buff , check your records and see if you can find out what really happened to RL - 225 back in the day . Will ya ?[/quote]

My records are incomplete with regard to reserve apparatus. Once it leaves front line status its hard to keep track of it.
According to Mike Martinelli's website, 28's is an '82 Snorkel with 2's being the '78, Were the two apparatus exchanged as sometimes happens in large departments?
Totally unacceptable, careless! And there going to get a new piece. I would find the biggest piece of junk( shouldn't be that hard to find)and let them have it; give the new tower to some other company.
I defer to Jack on this one in regards to the age of the snorkel.
Thanks for the reply Jack , I just thought you might have some of the accidents written down somewhere...
[quote name='SFD Probie' post='237087' date='Aug 9 2008, 10:56 ']According to Mike Martinelli's website, 28's is an '82 Snorkel with 2's being the '78, Were the two apparatus exchanged as sometimes happens in large departments?[/quote]

The two pieces of apparatus were never switched. The boom on Snorkel 28's piece was from the 1978 ALF formerly assigned to Snorkel 2 (PP #786067) while the boom on the present Snorkel 2 was originally mounted on a 1982 ALF formerly assigned to Snorkel 22 (PP #825913).
[quote name='cml0774' post='237094' date='Aug 9 2008, 12:16 ']Totally unacceptable, careless! And there going to get a new piece. I would find the biggest piece of junk( shouldn't be that hard to find)and let them have it; give the new tower to some other company.[/quote]

Why punish the entire company and community for the irresponsible action of one (or two) individual(s)? A decision like that on the part of management would be "Totally unacceptable, careless". Shotgun management decisions like that lead to low morale, no productivity and NO support from the troops.
[quote name='Shoe' post='237154' date='Aug 9 2008, 17:07 ']Why punish the entire company and community for the irresponsible action of one (or two) individual(s)? A decision like that on the part of management would be "Totally unacceptable, careless". Shotgun management decisions like that lead to low morale, no productivity and NO support from the troops.[/quote]

Well said Shoe!
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06