Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Orleans, LA Fire Apparatus
New Orleans Ladder 9

2006 ALF/LTI

95' MM TL

*This is a permanent loan from ALF and is the only tower ladder in the city. Ironically, according to the guys, the ladder has been deemed unsafe and is out of service.

Attached Files Image(s)

New Orleans Ladder 11

2004 ALF/LTI

110' RM

Attached Files Image(s)

New Orleans Spare Ladder 16 (being stored at E36)

1997 Pierce Dash

105' RM

Attached Files Image(s)

Any reason why it was deemed unsafe? The dealership I used to work for once had this one for a while as a demo.
Tower deemed unsafe? Sounds like the top brass dosent want the guys getting used to a new toy!
Knowing the schnanegans of New Orleans officals, nothing suprises me. However the US Government has been way too slow to replace and repair fire department facilities and fund replacment trucks in South Mississippi too.
[quote name='nealcraig' post='242691' date='Aug 30 2008, 09:32 ']Any reason why it was deemed unsafe? The dealership I used to work for once had this one for a while as a demo.[/quote]

Such a new truck and the aerial is deemed unsafe? I call shenanigans on them.

Also Truck 2 is sporting a different color scheme. Was it painted like that for this batch or will all new vehicles be painted like this?
People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
Some good questions that I don't have too many answer to. In regards to Ladder 9, the officer told me that they could set this up to flow water; however, it was ruled unsafe to climb the aerial. I do find it hard to believe that a ladder this new would fail the ladder test though. On the other hand, this rig did look rather beat. Though this has nothing to do with the ladder, two rear compartment doors on the officer's side had been ripped off.

In regards to color schemes, Ladder 2 is the only truck in the department painted in this way. I am not sure if this is the thing of the future or what. Most of the ALF rigs you see on this thread are actually being leased from ALF. I'm not sure how many are actually owned by the department, so there is a chance that Ladder 2 came as a demo and was lettered for NOFD. Again, I'm just speculating on this though.
New Orleans Spare Flying Squad

1995 Pierce Lance

*This was operating in place of the Rescue Squad

Attached Files Image(s)

New Orleans Spare Haz-Mat

1989 Pierce/Autocar

Attached Files Image(s)

New Orleans Tanker 4

2000 Freightliner/ALF

1500/3500

*In the wake of Hurricane Katrina the department required the use of several water tankers. This one remains in service today.

Attached Files Image(s)

New Orleans Staff Car

? Ford Expedition

Attached Files Image(s)

New Orleans Fireboat

1976 ?

250 GPM

EX-Coast Guard

*I know next to nothing about this execpt that I saw it from a steamboat. I presume it is run by the city, but I'm not exactly sure. Sorry, it's a little small.

Attached Files Image(s)

Lastly, some of the apparatus lined up at the fire academy that had been damaged in Hurricane Katrina.

Attached Files Image(s)

Last one.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thank you for sharing the pics. The only thing missing on the rigs are some decent, and readible unit numbers.
[quote name='firepicsMW' post='242759' date='Aug 30 2008, 17:09 ']New Orleans Fireboat

1976 ?

250 GPM

EX-Coast Guard

*I know next to nothing about this execpt that I saw it from a steamboat. I presume it is run by the city, but I'm not exactly sure. Sorry, it's a little small.[/quote]

The General Roy S. Kelly, operated by the New Orleans Port Authority Police. Built in 199 and rated at 13,500gpm
At one time NOFD operated 2 rescue type companies, though with different names; Rescue Co. and Flying Squad Co. Both had Pierce Lance rigs, RS a '01 model and FS the '95 pictured. They had huge staffing, like 7 or 8 persons with 2 Officers.

Anyone know if the Flying Squad got a new rig or have they been disbanded by chance?

Thanks in advance.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
[quote name='Ladder 68' post='242793' date='Aug 30 2008, 20:59 ']At one time NOFD operated 2 rescue type companies, though with different names; Rescue Co. and Flying Squad Co. Both had Pierce Lance rigs, RS a '01 model and FS the '95 pictured. They had huge staffing, like 7 or 8 persons with 2 Officers.

Anyone know if the Flying Squad got a new rig or have they been disbanded by chance?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

The department still operates a Rescue Squad and a Flying Squad. Both units are staffed with about 7-8 personnel. I did not photograph the Flying Squad; however, I saw it driving around and it operates a newer Pierce. The Rescue Squad also operates a newer model Pierce.
Thanks for great photos and additional information. This is probably the best photo-guide to NOFD rigs I have ever seen. I have never seen such a complete run down as you provided. Great stuff.

The staffing of 7 or 8 was amazing to me. I can't remember if they had 1 Captain and 1 Lieutenant or 2 Captains. But it was odd how the rank structure worked out with regard to on-scene ops of those 2 companies.

Thanks again.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com