Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broad Channel FD engine does not survive Sandy
Broad Channel FD, one of the volunteer departments in NYC posted this shot on their Facebook page. Point Breeze FD also lost some of their equipment, but their two engines survived. I am assuming this was burnt in the massive fire that destroyed 110 homes in the Breezy Point region of NYC.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

John Kenealy

[url="http://www.cnyfiretrucks.com"]CNYFiretrucks.com: Over 5200 photos of apparatus from over 1000 New York State Departments![/url]

[Image: IMAG0400.jpg] New York
Thats not good for that Hahn
​The National Firefighters Endowment is trying to drum up some support for them.

[url="https://www.facebook.com/NationalFirefightersEndowment"]https://www.facebook...ghtersEndowment[/url]
I read that this pumper was one of only three stainless steel tilt cabs prior to Hahn closing down shop. Sad end for a beautiful rig. Maybe they can Rehab/ repair it?
[quote name='EngineForLife' timestamp='1351815684' post='502101']

I read that this pumper was one of only three stainless steel tilt cabs prior to Hahn closing down shop. Sad end for a beautiful rig. Maybe they can Rehab/ repair it?

[/quote]

Not likely. From all the things I've read about it on facebook, it's a total loss. But, like any good soldier, it went out fighting!!!
x Malvern NY
Good photo!

tHANKs
tHANKs
A shame, but thank god none of the firefighters or civilians were injured or killed..................The rig can be replaced!
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
[quote name='CNYFireTrucks' timestamp='1351813816' post='502098']

Broad Channel FD, one of the volunteer departments in NYC posted this shot on their Facebook page. Point Breeze FD also lost some of their equipment, but their two engines survived. I am assuming this was burnt in the massive fire that destroyed 110 homes in the Breezy Point region of NYC.

[/quote]

In my opinion, it looks like the fire burned from the inside out. Given that, it is possible that burning paper or wood could have blown through a open window and started the fire.
If I had to guess, I would say that an ember got sucked into the air intake and started a fire in the engine compartment. It was an issue with wildland rigs until they mandated some type of "spark arrester" to prevent it. I'm in no way saying that this is what happened, just that it looks similar to that.
Chanhassen MN just donated their old engine to Board Channel. A friend of mine leaves with it tomorrow morning along with some gear from Mdwakanton fire, air packs from Carver Fire, and money for generators and fuel from the reservation.
[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
[quote name='ffemtwakeman' timestamp='1351874532' post='502163']

If I had to guess, I would say that an ember got sucked into the air intake and started a fire in the engine compartment. It was an issue with wildland rigs until they mandated some type of "spark arrester" to prevent it. I'm in no way saying that this is what happened, just that it looks similar to that.

[/quote]

Similar thing happened here in Australia. In the 2003 bushfire that struck Canberra 1/2 of the Scania urban pumpers were lost this way.
A sad loss indeed. Would insurance cover this? Federal disaster money? I know following Irene many departments were given (federal) money to replace equipment that was damaged during the storm.
Eli Gill - [url="http://10-75.Net"]10-75.Net[/url]
Just saw an article on facebook that the Hooversville, PA. Fire Dept has donated a refurbished Mack CF to the West Hamilton Beach Fire Dept.
[quote name='Shoop' timestamp='1351968061' post='502244']

Just saw an article on facebook that the Hooversville, PA. Fire Dept has donated a refurbished Mack CF to the West Hamilton Beach Fire Dept.

[/quote]

Also reported on Firehouse.com.

Very nice 1981 CF 1000/500 with 1997 NewLexington refurb and 4-doored.

Shoop's dad and I caught it back in 2010

WW Jenkins image

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It brings joy to my heart, and I'm sure of the departments that lost equipment during Sandy too, that there are other departments with surplus equipment donating to these departments in need. The true meaning of Brothers helping Brothers.
Hey guys, I'm a member of WHBFD. Here's the rundown for anyone interested.

West hamilton lost both rigs, the bfu, both busses and the Seagrave we were refurbishing as well as a lot of the equipment on these rigs

The Channel also lost both busses and their in service engine will need repairs

Point breeze sustained damage to their firehouse and I believe their rigs are running but were submerged pretty good

Rockaway point lost all vehicles from what I was told as well as damage to their firehouse

Gerritsen beach was in over 4' of water but I don't know how their equipment has held up.

It's a tough time as we try to rebuild and square away our homes and family's as well. The main thing is no one lost their lives.

We thank those who have come to our assistance
John just sent you a PM
Here's a shot Michael Martinelli took when it was still in service with the Malverne FD.

[url="http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/otherstates/nassau/Malverne.htm"]http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/otherstates/nassau/Malverne.htm[/url] (scroll to the bottom)

Beautiful rig.
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Broad Channel lost their rig at a fire in thier district, not down at the Breezy Point job, so what I have been told.