Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Los Angeles Fire Dept
T47 ladder compartment, yes the LAFD carries a lot of ladders, all wooden of course

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
A view through the tillerman's seat

People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
View up the ladder

Question.

Is there any reasoning behind using wooden ladders? Just Curious.
Rob Leahy Jr.

Captain/EMT

Vice President

Westville Fire Department

Westville New Jersey

Gloucester County
[quote name='JFong' date='27 December 2009 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1261957381' post='354488']

A view through the tillerman's seat

[/quote]

That wonderful view from the Tillerman's seat was my last assignment with Tampa Fire Rescue Truck 1 before retiring. No other view like it anywhere in the fire service. God do I miss it!!!!
WOW! Such meticulously maintained compartments. It shows that the crew/company have pride in their ride!
Are the SCBA in the compartments extra SCBA, or are they the primary SCBA for the company???
[quote name='RMKDFD' date='28 December 2009 - 01:17 PM' timestamp='1262023032' post='354626']

Are the SCBA in the compartments extra SCBA, or are they the primary SCBA for the company???

[/quote]

Jfong, I like the compartment shots, cool to see how other Depts store things, Only thing I don't like is the Masks outside the crew cab !!
[quote name='Irishff736' date='27 December 2009 - 10:36 PM' timestamp='1261980975' post='354563']

Question.

[/quote]

Part of it is tradition and the dept likes using wooden ladders. I inquired about aluminum/fiberglass ladders and was told wood holds up and shows more visable signs damage. It's also pride and camaraderie because the truckies will take their time to sand and lacquer the ladders every so often or before battalion inspection. There might be more to it but its been awhile and my memory slips me.
[quote name='Irishff736' date='28 December 2009 - 01:36 AM' timestamp='1261980975' post='354563']

Question.

[/quote]

If nothing else it is tradition, but I believe they like them better than aluminum. LA County and many other California fire departments continue to use wooden ladders as well. LA City used to make their own ladders in their wood shop, not sure if they still do. LA County currently contracts with a vendor for their's.
[quote name='HIT6' date='27 December 2009 - 11:40 PM' timestamp='1261984851' post='354590']

That wonderful view from the Tillerman's seat was my last assignment with Tampa Fire Rescue Truck 1 before retiring. No other view like it anywhere in the fire service. God do I miss it!!!!

[/quote]

It really is a nice view

[quote name='SrFireOfficial' date='28 December 2009 - 09:43 AM' timestamp='1262021036' post='354619']

WOW! Such meticulously maintained compartments. It shows that the crew/company have pride in their ride!

[/quote]

The men and women of the LAFD show real pride in their rigs. Some 1980's Seagrave's retired looking practically brand new because the crew took meticulous care of them. That's also one of the reasons there's a spray bottle and rags in that chock compartment - see dirt, clean it (especially if the rig is outside). At the end of each day, somebody will wipe the rig down or wash it.

[quote name='RMKDFD' date='28 December 2009 - 10:17 AM' timestamp='1262023032' post='354626']

[/quote]

All the SCBA on the 2007 Pierces/Seagrave are carried in the outside rear compartments (2 on each side) and none in the cab. The older 2003 Pierce had 2 in the rear of the cab and 2 in the rear compartments.
[quote name='marco17' date='28 December 2009 - 01:09 PM' timestamp='1262033394' post='354668']

If nothing else it is tradition, but I believe they like them better than aluminum. LA County and many other California fire departments continue to use wooden ladders as well. LA City used to make their own ladders in their wood shop, not sure if they still do. LA County currently contracts with a vendor for their's.

[/quote]

I believe the wooden ladders used by LAFD and LA co FD are made by Alaco
Somebody from LA can probably correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember right the reason why LAFD has stuck with wooden ladders is because the city generally has all overhead power lines. Since they constantly have earthquakes, there are fewer underground power lines than in a typical large city. The thought being that underground lines are more likely to break when the ground moves. So with lots of overhead lines, they need ladders that won't conduct electricity. It's the same reason San Francisco continues to use wooden ladders.

At least that's what I remember reading somewhere!
Please someone with first hand knowledge correct me if I am wrong, but there is currently a push in some circles in Chicago to move the SCBA back into the compartments. This forces the crew to slow down, and take extra time to size up a fire building, all the while putting on their packs. I am a fan of it.
Bryce is correct. Here in SF we use them for many reasons but the main one is due to all the electrical lines everywhere [for residential, business, street cars, etc ]their everywhere ! Easy to inspect and maintain in house. If they get alot of heat we send them to our in house ladder shop where they make em.

Downtown
Jdison17 Good point about the SCBA. We do need to slow doen and siae stuff up.

Not to be a terd, but I think we have to understand that in LA the units are not subject to the weather and road conditions some other departments in the countrt are, hence it is a bit easier to keep the rigs clean.

HNY
[quote name='SrFireOfficial' date='28 December 2009 - 11:43 AM' timestamp='1262021036' post='354619']

[/quote]

Most of the crews spend their own money to outfit their rigs the way they want. The LAFD firefighters take a lot of pride in their rigs. Here's a shot of LAFD Engine 4's 1996 Seagrave and their compartment work a few years back.

-Photo by Steve Skaar

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='JFong' date='27 December 2009 - 03:59 PM' timestamp='1261957196' post='354485']

Truck 47 in a reserve 1993 Simon/Duplex LTI tiller formerly T90 (Van Nuys). Their regular truck a 1995 Simon/Duplex LTI (former T9) was in the shop at the time of this photo.

[/quote]

Wonder what is up with they're frontline truck it's been in the shops for sometime now.
So do they now have enclosed cabs for all of the 200 Engines or are some still running with the open jump seats?

Thank you in advance.
[quote name='jdixon17' date='29 December 2009 - 12:08 AM' timestamp='1262062087' post='354748']

Please someone with first hand knowledge correct me if I am wrong, but there is currently a push in some circles in Chicago to move the SCBA back into the compartments. This forces the crew to slow down, and take extra time to size up a fire building, all the while putting on their packs. I am a fan of it.

[/quote]

I am NOT in favor of it!!!! Removing the SCBA's from the cab is yet another move from the safety Gods that delays attacking the fire. A fire doubles in size every minute....longer you wait, the more chance of a flashover. Yes, size up is absolutely important, but look at the building when you are stretching your line. The officer can do his size up while the crew stretches its line.....

I guarantee you that if a kid or a fellow firefighter is trapped when they show up, 90% of firefighters want their airpack on their back and not in a compartment.

Training, training, training is what we need...

Disciplined fireground attack is what we need.....

Pretty soon we'll all be fighting the fire from the station 'cause it'll be safer that way....

(sorry, cranky this morning...thanks for letting me rant....)