Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Philadelphia, PA
I'm going to try to answer all of the above questions with this message:

Disbanded companies: Engines 4,15,17,21,23,26,30,31,32,42,48,65,67,76,77 Ladders 7,17,26,32

Quint formerly assigned to Quint 16 reassigned to Engine 69 - Ladder 26 disbanded and Quint 69

placed in service

Squad companies 47 and 72

Foam companies 18,33,60 - Pipeline 18's apparatus reasigned to Engine 62 and they became

Pipeline 62. Both Foam 18 and Pipeline 62 are in Northeast Philadelphia. They actually run

together on boxes.

Squrt companies 8,9,38,43,55,57

Snorkels 2,5,28

Snorkel 2's apparatus was never reassigned to Ladder 22. Ladder 22 has been using a spare tiller since the KME tower ladder was rejected.

There are no more tower ladders in service. In one of the above messages it was noted that Engines 20 and 49 were disbanded. The companies are in service as Pipelines.

At Philadelphia International Airport, Engine 77 was disbanded and combined with Engine 78. The ARFF company now runs as only Engine 78. Also in a previous message, I provided the listing of pipeline and deluge companies. Please refer to that message for this information. All other companies are either engines or ladders.

I hope this information answers all of your questions.

Jack
[quote name='pfdbuff' post='71346' date='Jan 27 2007, 16:11 ']Quint formerly assigned to Quint 16 reassigned to Engine 69 - Ladder 26 disbanded and Quint 69 placed in service

At Philadelphia International Airport, Engine 77 was disbanded and combined with Engine 78. The ARFF company now runs as only Engine 78. Also in a previous message, I provided the listing of pipeline and deluge companies. Please refer to that message for this information. All other companies are either engines or ladders.

I hope this information answers all of your questions.

Jack[/quote]

Jack

Some place I saw that Engine 77 was at Island Ave & Industrial Highway. Is this where Quint 69 is now? Is this really considered part of PIA?
[quote name='Fireman5230' post='71407' date='Jan 27 2007, 19:59 ']Jack

Some place I saw that Engine 77 was at Island Ave & Industrial Highway. Is this where Quint 69 is now? Is this really considered part of PIA?[/quote]

I believe that is correct. I was in Philadelphia on business this week. Quint 69 is housed at the station located near the intersection of Bartram and Island Avenue in the middle of a parking lot for PIA. There also appeared to be a reserve tiller kept at the station.
[quote name='firesafe91' post='71449' date='Jan 27 2007, 22:15 ']I believe that is correct. I was in Philadelphia on business this week. Quint 69 is housed at the station located near the intersection of Bartram and Island Avenue in the middle of a parking lot for PIA. There also appeared to be a reserve tiller kept at the station.[/quote]

Quint 69 is located at 82nd and Tinicum Ave. The station at Island Ave and Enterprise Ave was the old Engine 78. Where Engine 77 was located I believe is now part of the UPS terminal off of Tinicum Island Rd. The present Engine 78 is located next to the control tower off of Hog Island Rd on the south side of the airport.
[quote name='Fireman5230' post='71407' date='Jan 27 2007, 19:59 ']Jack

Some place I saw that Engine 77 was at Island Ave & Industrial Highway. Is this where Quint 69 is now? Is this really considered part of PIA?[/quote]

Quint 69's firehouse is at 82nd Street and Tinicum Avenue. This is the only house that 69's has ever had. It's approximately one mile from the airport. Back in the 70's the area around the firehouse was filled with houses but all of them were bulldozed. The firehouse is now surrounded by remote parking lots for the airport. The old firehouse for Engine 77, if it was still standing, would be on the airport property about two to three miles from the house of Engine 69.
I use to stop in this very Fire house a few times. The station is an older yellow brick Bldg. The Airport parking is relitivley new.
Some Philadelphia Ward LaFrances
Nice pics, Frank!

The aerial device is NOT a "Squrt", as one may think. Ward LaFrance teamed up with Reading Techmatic to produce a line of aerial devices that could compete with the line from Snorkel. The 50' device in these pics was originally marketed as the "Telerise", but Snorkel brought suit over the use of the "Tele" prefix and WLF renamed it the AWT-50 (Articulated Water Tower-50'). If you compare this device to the Squrt, you'll see the differences in the design, even though the concept is the same.
[quote name='GA_Dave' post='73476' date='Feb 4 2007, 16:04 ']Nice pics, Frank!

The aerial device is NOT a "Squrt", as one may think. Ward LaFrance teamed up with Reading Techmatic to produce a line of aerial devices that could compete with the line from Snorkel. The 50' device in these pics was originally marketed as the "Telerise", but Snorkel brought suit over the use of the "Tele" prefix and WLF renamed it the AWT-50 (Articulated Water Tower-50'). If you compare this device to the Squrt, you'll see the differences in the design, even though the concept is the same.[/quote]

This rig went to "Engine 8" - the side of the rig was lettered "TOWER - PUMPER". Later Philly called them "Squrts"
Quote:This rig went to "Engine 8" - the side of the rig was lettered "TOWER - PUMPER". Later Philly called them "Squrts"

This was the only AWT that Philly had. All the rest, the Oshkosh/Pierce, the Mack, the 4 Seagraves and the 4 ALF Eagles, were equipped with 54' Squrts built by Snorkel.
Snorkel 28 - 1997 KME with 85ft snorkel - boom remounted from the 1978 ALF formerly assigned to Snorkel 2

Attached Files Image(s)

Ladder 10 - 1986 Seagrave 100ft TDA - formerly assigned to Ladder 9

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='pfdbuff' post='73941' date='Feb 5 2007, 22:24 ']Snorkel 28 - 1997 KME with 85ft snorkel - boom remounted from the 1978 ALF formerly assigned to Snorkel 2[/quote]

Jack,

Is this the snorkel that was involved in an MVA a few years ago during a response?
Jay Kormann
Jay,

It may have been involved in an MVA. If it was it wasn't a major incident that required extensive repair work.

Jack
[quote name='GA_Dave' post='73476' date='Feb 4 2007, 16:04 ']Nice pics, Frank!

The aerial device is NOT a "Squrt", as one may think. Ward LaFrance teamed up with Reading Techmatic to produce a line of aerial devices that could compete with the line from Snorkel. The 50' device in these pics was originally marketed as the "Telerise", but Snorkel brought suit over the use of the "Tele" prefix and WLF renamed it the AWT-50 (Articulated Water Tower-50'). If you compare this device to the Squrt, you'll see the differences in the design, even though the concept is the same.[/quote]

A major difference between the Reading tower and the Squrt is the nozzle attachment. On a Squrt, you can change the nozzle with no more than a spanner wrench. On the Reading, you'd need to call the shop out to the scene to do this. This was explained to me by a former officer at Squrt 8 in Philly.
Car 99, a 194? Autocar, formally a high pressure hose wagon. Picture taken in July 1958 alongside of Engine 32 on S. 6th Street and South Washington Square. Photo from my Dad's collection.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A smaller version for those of us with smaller screens.

Attached Files Image(s)

Dave,

I think that the photo was taken alongside of Engine 31's house on North 6th Street. Engine 32 was in the middle of the row of buildings so there wouldn't be any room next to the firehouse to park the rig. Also, Special Services, which S.S. stands for, was headquartered at Engine 31.
[quote name='pfdbuff' post='75682' date='Feb 10 2007, 18:52 ']Dave,

I think that the photo was taken alongside of Engine 31's house on North 6th Street. Engine 32 was in the middle of the row of buildings so there wouldn't be any room next to the firehouse to park the rig. Also, Special Services, which S.S. stands for, was headquartered at Engine 31.[/quote]

OOPS! Wrong notes. I have a couple of pictures of the Maxim/Magirus rearmount that shows Engine 32's station in the background. As soon as I can find it.
GA_Dave any idea how many of those WLF AWT's were built?
People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?