Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minnesota Apparatus
This 1971 Ford L/Gerstenlager Squad was assigned as Squad 1.

It had a small pump and 300 GWT

Bill Friedrich Photo
In 1984 Custom Fire built two units for Squads 1 & 2. They had 1000gpm pumps and 500GWT.
In 1995 Squad's 1 & 2 were rebuilt by Toyne with new White GMC chassis. The rebuild used the pump and body from the 1984 Squads.
You might wonder why Squad 1 is on a Ford L chassis. A couple weeks after going into service, the squad was involved in an accident ans was rebuilt with a 1996 Ford chassis.

That's all I have for St. Paul, without just posting duplicates of the same apparatus already posted.

As always, I hope that you enjoy them.
[quote name='photobuff6162' post='287578' date='Mar 6 2009, 20:57 ']You might wonder why Squad 1 is on a Ford L chassis. A couple weeks after going into service, the squad was involved in an accident ans was rebuilt with a 1996 Ford chassis.

That's all I have for St. Paul, without just posting duplicates of the same apparatus already posted.

As always, I hope that you enjoy them.[/quote]

That run through St. Paul present and past was a real treat John, thanks! Somewhere I think I have an old shot of the Snoopy cover that covered the Squirt nozzel on Engine 1. If I can ever find it again, I will scan it and post it. I was always partial to the two Squirts.
Dave McClung

Arden Hills, Minnesota but....

my heart is also back in Northern VA, especially Alexandria.

All pictures are taken by me and subject to copyright.

No picture taken by me may be copied or linked without my

express permission.
Can someone explain the St. Paul Squad concept? These look like standard pumpers, while the newer ones look like rescues. I'm assuming they resond to all box alarms, haz-mat, and technical/physical rescue calls. Thanks in advance.
Because of how St. Paul does EMS, every piece of primary apparatus has a pump and tank. All of the medic units are assigned to Engine companies (M-4,M-6,M-9,M-10,M-14,M-18,M-19,M-22,M-24), and when there is a EMS call, all four FF"S will jump off the engine and onto the ambulance. With EMS being 80% or more of the call volume, there could possibly be 4-5 engines out of service at any given time. There have been attempts in the past to change the system to a more traditional service, where the Ambulance and Engine crews do not run as one unit, but any change would involve staffing changes.

The three new squads have pumps, with Sq-1 & 2 having 750gpm pumps, and Sq-3 having 1250gpm. They do run on all Fires, Rescues and will also run as a EMS first responder, if a Medic unit is coming from a distance. Quite often a squad will pull the first line on a fire, but their primary duties would be a more traditional roll.
Delete

Delete

Delete

Ohhh yea, thats what I was going to do today...whoops!
[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Hopkins MN 1941 Buffalo

refited aerial Pirsch 75'

Bill Schwartz collection
Eagan, MN E-1 and E-4

2009 Pierce Velocity PUC rescue engines. 1500/750/25/10kW gen/Command light tower 21486-01&02
Minneapolis, MN E6

200X Pierce Arrow XT

Attached Files Image(s)

Rick Carlsen

Plymouth, MN
Pipesmoke Minn 1940 Buffalo

D Adelman collection
Oakland MI American Chevy

Info may be wrong, it could be from MD
I will repost hastings trucks when i get a chance
I will repost the rest of Hastings when i get a sec
I will repost Burnsville and South metro trucks when i get a second.
What is the fire duty (fire call volume), staffing per and are they vol/call/combo/paid, and population of the major FDs in MN?
Ed Harvey

[url="http://www.fireservicephotography.com/"][size=2]Fire Service Photography[/url][/size]

"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

All fires will go out; and all bleeding will stop - eventually.

[url="http://www.facebook.com/people/Ed-Harvey/116300270"]My Facebook Page[/url]