Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minnesota Apparatus
[quote name='photobuff6162' date='06 March 2009 - 09:16 PM' timestamp='1236394593' post='287578']

You might wonder why Squad 1 is on a Ford L chassis. A couple weeks after going into service, the squad was involved in an accident ans was rebuilt with a 1996 Ford chassis.

[/quote]

This was the only photo I got of Squad 1 before the accident. It was sitting in front of the shop doors on a weekend so nobody was around to move it. You had to be quick to get a posed shot of this one.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Oshkosh is now jointly manufacturing the Striker with Pierce. The first jontly manufactured Striker, a Striker 3000 is now in service at Mpls St. Paul International Airport. Here is a link to the Oshkosh press release... http://www.oshkosharff.com/news.cfm
Dave McClung

Arden Hills, Minnesota but....

my heart is also back in Northern VA, especially Alexandria.

All pictures are taken by me and subject to copyright.

No picture taken by me may be copied or linked without my

express permission.
This makes 5 Strikers at MSP IAP now.

2 Striker 3000 for MAC

1 Striker 1500 for MAC

1 Striker 1500 for the 133rd MN ANG Wing (C-130 H's)

1 Striker 1500 for the 934th AF Reserve Wing (C-130 H's)

Yes, we have two C-130 units at MSP IAP, one Air Guard and one Air Force Reserve.
Dave McClung

Arden Hills, Minnesota but....

my heart is also back in Northern VA, especially Alexandria.

All pictures are taken by me and subject to copyright.

No picture taken by me may be copied or linked without my

express permission.
Delete

Delete

Delete

Delete

Owatonna,Mn

Ex ST.Paul,Mn

1948 Ward LaFrance 1000.300

Ron Bogardus collection

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='Bill Weis' date='14 February 2010 - 11:11 AM' timestamp='1266162695' post='364053']

This was the only photo I got of Squad 1 before the accident. It was sitting in front of the shop doors on a weekend so nobody was around to move it. You had to be quick to get a posed shot of this one.

[/quote]

The Officer's side door of this rig now proudly hangs from the ceiling of Alary's Bar in Downtown St. Paul. Any Firepixers visiting the Twin Cities should visit Alary's, it is THE hangout for Firefighters and Law Enforcement in the East Metro. The ceiling has about 50 doors from police & fire units hanging from it. The walls are covered with patches and decals of public safety entities. And, there are various sirens, beacons & lightbars around the joint. But, be forewarned, Alary's is also the Chicago Bears headquarters in the Twin Cities (the late owner, Al Baisi, played for the Bears in the 40's & 50's), and the lights & sirens only come on when the Bears score.
[quote name='usonian' date='17 April 2010 - 09:38 PM' timestamp='1271557101' post='376917']

The Officer's side door of this rig now proudly hangs from the ceiling of Alary's Bar in Downtown St. Paul. Any Firepixers visiting the Twin Cities should visit Alary's, it is THE hangout for Firefighters and Law Enforcement in the East Metro. The ceiling has about 50 doors from police & fire units hanging from it. The walls are covered with patches and decals of public safety entities. And, there are various sirens, beacons & lightbars around the joint. But, be forewarned, Alary's is also the Chicago Bears headquarters in the Twin Cities (the late owner, Al Baisi, played for the Bears in the 40's & 50's), and the lights & sirens only come on when the Bears score.

[/quote]

Thanks for the info on Alary's. I had no idea they had all that memorabilia. I'll have to check it out.
[quote name='Bill Weis' date='17 April 2010 - 09:50 PM' timestamp='1271557807' post='376920']

Thanks for the info on Alary's. I had no idea they had all that memorabilia. I'll have to check it out.

[/quote]

Another incentive to go to Alary's is the, ahem, non-ugly bar staff.

[url="http://www.alarys.com/officials2/category/562"]Here's a link to their website showing the StPFD Squad door, among others. Check out other sections of the site for other enticements.[/url]
Any picture of the new E\-One Quint for St.-Paul ,how many of these was ordered
There were two ordered for L-24 and L-18. L-24 is at FDIC and then will come home. L-18 is due in the fall.

The only pictures I have are from the plant, and not suitable for publication.

Delete

Delete

Delete

[quote name='grubber33270' date='19 April 2010 - 12:54 AM' timestamp='1271658847' post='377092']

Here are 4 Photos that i would like to post that i dont think i will post on my site. i just dont know where i would put them.

First three Are big Red Former truck for Minneapolis i will let someone else post details on it.

[Image: 2nhdjq1.jpg]

[/quote]

"Big Red" was a former 1958 Walters Army crash truck (serial #588533) that was purchased as military surplus by the Minneapolis Fire Department back in 1976. The department converted the big rig into MFD "Foam-Hose 1" by remounting a 1500 GPM Waterous pump out of a 1948 Mack engine and putting it in the Walters. Two 2000 GPM turrets were also mounted on the rear corners of the rig and a hose body was constructed to carry 4-inch hose. Big Red ran out of Minneapolis Fire Station 7 for a number of years to all second alarm fires in the City of Minneapolis.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here's "Big Red" at a Minneapolis 4th Alarm on March 31, 1978 operating at 322 E 22nd Street using its big gun on a commercial building fire. This was a common sight in Minneapolis back in the day. It's stream was blowing the parapet off this burning building.

- Photo by Steve Skaar

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='photobuff6162' date='18 April 2010 - 10:38 PM' timestamp='1271643489' post='377079']

There were two ordered for L-24 and L-18. L-24 is at FDIC and then will come home. L-18 is due in the fall.

The only pictures I have are from the plant, and not suitable for publication.

[/quote]

thanks.

Why the dept back with E\-One and dont stay with Pierce for the new ladder
The previous Chief was a Pierce guy. The FF's and shop guy's were more comfortable with the E\-One and prefered the jack spread, among other things. An ironic coincidence is that the same salesman sold the Pierce and E\-One apparatus, although with different companies.

For the most part, the FF's at L-8 and L-22, who use the two Pierce ladders like them as well.