Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[quote name='OPEN CAB MACK' date='28 March 2010 - 03:51 PM' timestamp='1269808314' post='372903']

No there wasn't Doc. That ALF was the second motorized fire apparatus that Connellsville had, and also the very first ladder truck. It was ordered in June of 1916 and delivered in August of the same year at a cost of $6,200. This truck was delivered with 50, 40, and 32 foot extension ladders. It also carried 30 foot ladders on each side. This truck was sold to a local antique collector in 1962 to make room for the 1962 Mack C-Model quint. The 1916 had a total of 418 miles on it when it was sold. The 1962 aerial cost $42,000.

[/quote]

That's amazing, thanks very much Ed! 46 years service divided by 418 odometer miles is well, less than 10 miles/yr.! A real easy life for that rig.

Ed, do you know what Connellsville had for engines before the CF's? What about older stations in the East side?

Thanks, Warren
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
I love this thread! Recently I watched a documentary on the coal fire in Centralia PA that forced the entire town to move. Does anyone have any pictures of old Centralia fire apparatus?
mussels, centrailia is still running an international car mar engine late 80's
tom bretz a ffII,retired disabled ff/emt from Kingston PA F D,own 2 wardlafranceengs a 49,a66,member of iaff 840,six cnty fire asso,pa state firemen's assoc, pa pump primers,schuylkill historic fire soc(spaamfaa's newest chapter--black diamond),luzerne cnty fire/rescue,life mem of columbian fire co kingston,former app op at laflin,edwrdsvlle,forty fort all in pa
Not the same rig. Scroll down that page a bit and you'll find the correct one, the former FDNY Engine 65.
[quote name='mussels' date='29 March 2010 - 10:41 PM' timestamp='1269919262' post='373271']

I love this thread! Recently I watched a documentary on the coal fire in Centralia PA that forced the entire town to move. Does anyone have any pictures of old Centralia fire apparatus?

[/quote]

Visiting Centralia is a real life experience of being in a ghost town. Last time I passed through, there were only several buildings left. It is really weird feeling driving along a curb lined street with sidewalks along each side, and cement walks leading to cement steps that only go to foundations. And of course the constant smoke coming up out of the ground. Alfred Hitchcock could not have created anything like it for one of his movies and he was he was the master of such.
Rich Dean, Butler, New Jersey, USA

Member of Kinney Hose Co. 1, Butler Fire Dept. since 1973, Fire Police Officer since 2000

Dispatcher at Butler Police Communications from March 1975 to July 2009

Secretary of North Jersey Volunteer Firemen's Association since 1980

Member of Tri-Boro First Aid Squad (volunteer ems) since 2000 as a driver

Member of many Yahoogroups, owner of some such as:

[post="0"]FirematicEvents Yahoogroup[/post]the place to for listing and discussion of any event by a public safety organization.

[post="0"]RailfanEvents Yahoogroup[/post]

[post="0"]Railpics Yahoogroup[/post]