Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Keystone State Relics
[quote name='GA_Dave' date='09 March 2010 - 03:02 PM' timestamp='1268163735' post='368961']

Ladder 691, Canonsburg, PA

American LaFrance 900 Series

100'

[/quote]

Originally delivered as an open cab. Refurbished by Page/Lambert in Latrobe. Now in service in Lewistown, PA. Shoop, want to chime in?
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
[quote name='OPEN CAB MACK' date='10 March 2010 - 09:06 AM' timestamp='1268225203' post='369175']

This was taken out of service due to it not passing certification. There was some tension between the department and the borough as to who should replace it. It was replaced by a used aerial. I can't seem to remember what though. That truck recemtly replaced by a KME rearmount tower, repainted to match the Irwin fleet and also new emergency lights added.

[/quote]

The American LaFrance was replaced by a Thibault aerial
[quote name='GA_Dave' date='09 March 2010 - 03:04 PM' timestamp='1268163873' post='368963']

Truck 1, Unity FC, Plum, PA

American LaFrance 700 Series

75'

[/quote]

This<, I believe started out as an Oil City rig. Thene ended up in Braddock. Plum used this up til the 90's when they bought an ALF Century out of Cherry Hill NJ. That was replaced bt a 100' rear mount Pierce Tower about 7-8 years ago. The 700 series ended up at the famous Pechins auction in Denbo a few years back.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

[quote name='GA_Dave' date='09 March 2010 - 03:33 PM' timestamp='1268165616' post='368983']

Engine 99-1, Allegheny Township, PA

Seagrave KB

750/500

[/quote]

This engine was in service for a while in Allegheny Twp. It was replaced by a Pierce Contender about 5 years back. It was donated to a department in Kentucky I believe.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

[quote name='mgk110' date='09 March 2010 - 05:40 PM' timestamp='1268173227' post='369035']

For those familiar with the area I believe this truck fought the great McKeesport fire of the mid 70's when several blocks burned in the downtown area. I have it on the slide show getting ready to set up. I'm not 100% on this but it isn't a Pittsburgh Aerochief because the front overhang of the boom is very short, like the Ellwood City. And I don't recall anybody else in the area having one. Ellwood City is about 30 miles to the north of McKeesport. It may not seem like a large distance to some but if you know this area, especially back in the mid 70's, that is a lot of fire companies in those 30 miles. And back then the manpower was tremendous because the mills were still going strong.

Ga Dave and Tacsman thanks for the Keystone pics. And keep showing the love to the western part of the state, we need it.

[/quote]

Mike, the Pittsburgh Aero Chiefs were 90'. The one out of Elwood City was identical to Leechburg's. It too was a 70' model. Hopwood had a similar one of these too. I forget where theirs originated from. The one from Hopwood ended up at Pechins. I wish I would have brought my camera to that.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

[quote name='mgk110' date='09 March 2010 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1268173609' post='369037']

Does that say "GMC" on the front? And is that Allegheny Twp. in Westmoreland County? There most be 20 Allegheny, Penn, Washington and Perry Twp's each in Pa.

[/quote]

Yes Mike, Allegheny Twp. Westmoreland County. The station is along State Route 356. I believe it may had a GMC gasoline engine. I am not sure though.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

[quote name='Dr. Stinebaugh' date='09 March 2010 - 07:02 PM' timestamp='1268178169' post='369060']

Both Pleasant Hills and Leechburg had 70' Aerochiefs and are much closer than Ellwood City.

[/quote]

Thanks Doc. I forgot about the Pleasant Hills Aerochief. Isn't that the one that ended up in Hopwood? If so, I believe when it was at Pleasant Hills, it had mechanical issues.

Mike, I think it was the Pleasnt Hills Aerochief that was at the great McKeesoort fire.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

[quote name='BAIN172' date='10 March 2010 - 08:17 AM' timestamp='1268225841' post='369178']

The American LaFrance was replaced by a Thibault aerial

[/quote]

Thanks Joel.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

tom bretz a ffII,retired disabled ff/emt from Kingston PA F D,own 2 wardlafranceengs a 49,a66,member of iaff 840,six cnty fire asso,pa state firemen's assoc, pa pump primers,schuylkill historic fire soc(spaamfaa's newest chapter--black diamond),luzerne cnty fire/rescue,life mem of columbian fire co kingston,former app op at laflin,edwrdsvlle,forty fort all in pa
[quote name='gfd1' date='10 March 2010 - 09:09 AM' timestamp='1268228980' post='369196']

Originally from Yardley Makefield Fire Company. Recently donated to Luzerne County Fire School.

[/quote]

slite correction it was SOLD to Luzerne County Community College Public Safety Training Institute in Nanticoke PA
tom bretz a ffII,retired disabled ff/emt from Kingston PA F D,own 2 wardlafranceengs a 49,a66,member of iaff 840,six cnty fire asso,pa state firemen's assoc, pa pump primers,schuylkill historic fire soc(spaamfaa's newest chapter--black diamond),luzerne cnty fire/rescue,life mem of columbian fire co kingston,former app op at laflin,edwrdsvlle,forty fort all in pa
Frank B,

Eden Sold their Tower and Rescue and replaced them both with the tiller. The tiller runs as a Truck/Rescue combo. It is set up very well. They also said that it helps on manpower issues.
[quote name='GA_Dave' date='09 March 2010 - 03:29 PM' timestamp='1268165395' post='368979']

Rescue 6, Liberty FC, Sinking Spring, PA

Chevy/Reading

[/quote]

GA Dave,

You guys are getting to far in front of me - tough keeping up with all of these great posts !

Info on this rig from Al Powell's files.

Bruce

1979 Chev C-70/Reading, 11 ft enclosed walk-in rescue body, V-8 gas engine, 7.5 KW Onan generator, 5 speed trans with 2 speed rear, std.conv.cab, in 1992 sold to Loganville (York Co.),PA-repainted RW, in 1996 offered for sale-asked $18,000-in 3-96 sold to Vera Cruz (Lehigh Co.),PA, purchased through Crest Truck Equipt-Bowmansville,PA, $39,500, housed in 1980
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region